Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
shadowEditFiles location
Klavertje [Avatar]
Member Location: Herwijnen - Holland Joined: Jun 12, 2011 10:17 Messages: 84 Offline
[Post New]
How can I force PD 15 to store the ShadowEditFiles in a different directorie?

Now PD 15 stores them all in Users\documents\Powerdirector\15 and I don't want them there, because I am using an SSD drive.

In PD 14 there was a choise in the preferences menu, in PD 15 I can't find it.

Is there somewhere an hidden option, or can I change someting in the register?

Thanks. PC with Win10 Pro 64, Intel i7 2600 ,8 Gb Memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 and a lot of Hard drives
Panasonic SD900 video camera
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Klavertje -

I can't help with your registry question, but I have noticed that with PDR14 & earlier versions shadow files were stored in the designated output folder (set in Preferences) BUT PDR15 puts them in Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\15.0\ShadowEditFiles - whatever your output destination is!

Someone with registry knowledge may be able to offer a way around this.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Many users continue to do ssd optimization even on windows 10. One is to move all the libraries folders to the hard drive.

Here is a link on how to move the whole My Documents folder to the hard drive: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2079571/move-your-libraries-to-a-second-drive-or-partition.html . This will solve the problem and also give you more space on the ssd.
Klavertje [Avatar]
Member Location: Herwijnen - Holland Joined: Jun 12, 2011 10:17 Messages: 84 Offline
[Post New]
Tony, I have noticed to that earlier versions where more flexibel where to put the shadoweditfiles.

Cyberlink has removed this option in PD15 indeed.

Tomasc, I only want the shadoweditfiles on an other harddrive, not the complete documents folder.

Maybe there is someone who has a sollution for this (small) problem PC with Win10 Pro 64, Intel i7 2600 ,8 Gb Memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 and a lot of Hard drives
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Klavertje,
Just a quick note, your initial post has been passed onto CyberLink, maybe something will be done/corrected by the development team.
Dafydd
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Klavertje -

I can't help with your registry question, but I have noticed that with PDR14 & earlier versions shadow files were stored in the designated output folder (set in Preferences) BUT PDR15 puts them in Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\15.0\ShadowEditFiles - whatever your output destination is!

Someone with registry knowledge may be able to offer a way around this.

Cheers - Tony

I guess that's good and bad. Good they are all in one place now vs following around the specified output folder, bad since they don't give you a PD15 preference option to locate it for the common user. Really poor, makes one wonder what type of preview screening by CL was done and basic development thought. I also see the temporary "preview" generated file location is also fixed and might be in a different location depending on how one has moved there home as tomasc suggested.

The following should work in your case Klavertje for just this one PD15 folder location change if it was real intent of the release, simply create a symbolic link for this one folder.
1) Open PD15, turn off shadow files, and manually delete them and quit
2) Delete the hidden ShadowEditFiles folder from your C:\Users\xxxxx\My Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\15.0\ShadowEditFiles\
3) Create a folder called ShadowEditFiles at the spot you would like the scratch files, for this example E:\Junk\ShadowEditFiles\
4) Open a command prompt with elevated permissions and create the link, command would be similar to
mklink /D "C:\Users\xxxxx\My Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\15.0\ShadowEditFiles\" "E:\Junk\ShadowEditFiles\"
You should get confirmation with the following:
symbolic link created for C:\Users\xxxxx\My Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\15.0\ShadowEditFiles\ <<===>> E:\Junk\ShadowEditFiles\
5) You should see a link folder in your C:\Users\xxxxx\My Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\15.0\ShadowEditFiles\ as shown in attached pic
6) Launch PD15, activate shadowfiles, you should see your alternative path fill with the shadowfiles as shown in the pic

To undo, simply delete both files. PD15 will then recreate the ShadowEditFiles in your user home wherever that resides.

Hopefully CL will provide a update that corrects some of these basic release issues.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD15_Shadowfiles.png]
 Filename
PD15_Shadowfiles.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
459 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
70 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Sep 20. 2016 10:15

Klavertje [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff,

It works! PC with Win10 Pro 64, Intel i7 2600 ,8 Gb Memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 and a lot of Hard drives
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Jeff,

It works!

If I was you I'd continue to monitor the patches and progress CL development makes echoed in these forums concerning this issue and maybe in the future return to stock condition prior to loading a corrective patch from CL if something would exist in the future.

I honestly can't believe that was the developers intent.

Jeff
Klavertje [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff,

I was to quick with my answer that it works.

I now got a Shadoweditfile in the new folder, but also in the original one.

What is the solution to solve this problem

Danny
[Thumb - Shadoweditfile.JPG]
 Filename
Shadoweditfile.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Shadoweditfile in two folders
 Filesize
77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
51 time(s)
PC with Win10 Pro 64, Intel i7 2600 ,8 Gb Memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 and a lot of Hard drives
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Jeff,

I was to quick with my answer that it works.

I now got a Shadoweditfile in the new folder, but also in the original one.

What is the solution to solve this problem

Danny

They will appear there as it's a active link, but, if you monitor actual HD space you should see nothing increasing on your C: drive. I will verify again when home, but that should be the case.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2016 11:06

Klavertje [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

The space on the C drive is increasing!

When I delete the file in the original folder, it also deletes the file on the G drive.

Danny PC with Win10 Pro 64, Intel i7 2600 ,8 Gb Memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 and a lot of Hard drives
Klavertje [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

Again to quick with my reply. Sorry!

The only file that causes increasing the C drive (original folder) in the link file it self. Within this file the message how many space I have on the new drive (folder), how many files and so on.

The shadow files are only an image of the original on the G drive.

So you don't have to check anything, it works!

Thanks again for you're help, and sorry for my english: it is not my native language.

And I shall inform CL (and ask) that they fixed this issue in the next update

Danny PC with Win10 Pro 64, Intel i7 2600 ,8 Gb Memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 and a lot of Hard drives
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Klavertje,

The following information has been provided by CyberLink.

CyberLink will release a fix in the next patch. If there are users who need the hotfix, please follow the steps below.

1. Downloads for the hotfix:
64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/temp/VDE162026-0053/x64/common.dll
32bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/temp/VDE162026-0053/x86/common.dll
2. Browse to the folder C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector15 and locate "common.dll"
3. Rename the file "common.dll" in the folder as the backup, example commonXXX.dll.
4. Copy the hotfix/replacement common.dll to the folder, C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector15.
5. Now launch PowerDirector 15 and delete all shadow files (Check the previous location manually as well, just to be sure.) to have the shadow files generated to the new path. The path is the one you have in Preferences/File/Export folder:

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 22. 2016 03:57

Klavertje [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

That is a quick response from CL.

Thanks! PC with Win10 Pro 64, Intel i7 2600 ,8 Gb Memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 and a lot of Hard drives
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep, it is. I did sort of point the issue/bug you found out to them, ha ha. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49592.page#260857

Dafydd
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
New hotfix dll appears to correct the Shadow file location, BUT, fails to fix the same issue referenced earlier for "Preview Cache Files" folder generated by PD15.

CL, really, your users deserve better in released products?

Pics attached to show PD14 and PD15 location.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD15_PreviewCache.png]
 Filename
PD15_PreviewCache.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
657 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
39 time(s)
[Thumb - PD14_PreviewCache.png]
 Filename
PD14_PreviewCache.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
613 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
32 time(s)
JC38 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: France Joined: Sep 30, 2016 18:04 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hello

Thank you for the patch.

In my case, the original PD15 common.dll recorded the cache files into C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\15.0\ShadowEditFiles --> a real nightmare for my internet bandwidth frown

Please, Cyberlink dev team, never do that again wink