Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
uninstalled Apple Quicktime- now PD13 can't "see" .mov files- what to do?
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Like the title of this thread says- I had heard of security problems with Quicktime so I uninstalled it. Now, PD 13 won't load .mov files. So, is there some other program or files I can install which will work with .mov files other than reinstalling Quicktime?

Joe
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
You could use something like format factory to convert it to mp4. MOV is just Apples version of mp4. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
The reason I am expecting to have a collection of .mov files is that I'm sending out ancient home videos to one of the firms that scans them and it appears these firms, most of them, scan to .mov files. I asked the tech at the firm- is there really much to worry about and he says no, that the security threat is overhyped.

In fact, this is what he said, "The risk from QuickTime in actuality is almost zero. Their has never been a reported computer that has been compromised in any way from this security risk.
As long as you don't use QuickTime in a web browser their is zero risk.
Use in a browser is the only theoretical risk, use in Powerdirector or any other editing program is completely safe because the QuickTime library is only used by powerdirector and has no interaction at all with the internet.

QuickTime files are superior to mp4 and are still used professionally and will remain popular for a very very long time.

We only output to QuickTime ProRes 422 .mov files for PCs and Macs. The biggest risk we see here at the studio is from clients supplying their own hard drive, now that is a real risk for viruses."

So, I decided to reinstall Quicktime- hoping that PD would once again work with .mov files, and luckily, it works.

But, regarding the security risk- I wonder if the major antivirus programs like Norton and McAfee would defend against that risk? I use both of those programs, so now I'll ask them.

Joe
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, JoeZ99!

The fellow you spoke to may well be right. I still have Apple Quicktime on my computer and have had no issues with it at all. In some post it said there'd be no more updates, that's been quite a while back, I had an update sent to my computer for Apple Quicktime within the past month-to-six-weeks or so. This talk of security problems might just be a scare campaign, nothing more.

Cheers!

Neil.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
QuickTime is being discontinued, but for now there is little alternative. I don't think you have to worry about the security. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
The problem with QuickTime is the QuickTime Player, this is where the vunerability exists.

For the time being, the rccommended course of action is to remove QT completly then reinstall the QT Essentials only, disable all other components to prevent installation then you will have the QT codecs only, now you will be able to import .mov files. MOV files with an H.264 Baseline Profile should be able to be played without QT being installed Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots