Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to find tmp file trying to open PD13 at start up?
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
tomasc, closing applications should be no different whether done individually by the user or by Windows as part of a clean shutdown. If the latter doesn't occur cleanly it IS the fault of the software. For example if a file has been edited and the application doesn't cause the shutdown to pause whilst it prompts for confirmation that is sloppy and insufficiently tested programming.

Similarly switching off something like a vcr whilst it is playing shouldn't cause a problem. It should be designed to cope with it since it might be subject to a power cut. The same goes for a computer. Whilst Windows will always warn of an incorrect shutdown in most cases it will survive because the most likely risk is that open files have not been closed and written to disk. You might lose a bit of work but usually there aren't any major corruptions.

I'm not necessarily suggesting users should do these things, just that the technology is perfectly capable of coping with it providing it's properly designed. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I think we'd probably all agree that when there is a correct/recommended way of doing things then it's for the best to stick to it.

If PD is being closed down properly before the OS is closed and it's still leaving files behind that are being detected at startup as if PD had not been shutdown correctly then there's something wrong. In my experience, saying yes to opening the recovery file and then simply shutting down correctly no matter whether you say yes or no to saving the project should clear the recovery file and therefore it shouldn't happen again (unless a faulty shutdown occurs again of course).

This safety net has saved me a lot of work on more than one occasion and I wouldn't want to lose it. The only time I've ever been offered the recovery file it was for a genuine reason.
Pettros1
Member Location: River Heads, Queensland, Australia Joined: Jan 06, 2011 19:08 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
Carl312, did yes a couple of times, opened and then saved back to .pds as I always do but it came back next time PD was opened. Having uses PD since ver 8 have always made sure to keep saving to pds file in case program crashed which in earlier days was a regular event.

Must say that probably from PD10/11, not sure, program stability has greatly improved but even PD13 on the rare occasion does freeze up for short period of time and just hold my breath til it comes back. Maybe couple of times have had to restart but .tmp file will bring it too life. At least very close to my editing point.

The .pds files are small but contain lot of directional info and I try to keep all files I have used in same folder so as to rebuild my project easier but even this does not work all of the time when opening an old project.

Wish I could say I started in computer as a SYF..T, but didn't and somehow managed from Win3.1 on 12 3.5 floppies to Win10 and now a DOF..t and it has all become a bit easier so somebody must be getting it right :0)

Should add that since deleting from auto-save no more messages... at least for now!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 01. 2016 00:35

PD Ultra 16.0.2524.0 ~ Windows 10 Pro Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz ~ AMD HD-7800 Series APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics ~ 16GB RAM ~ WD 1Gb Primary HD ~ Hitachi 500Gb ~ Buffalo 8Gb DriveStation ~ WD 1Gb ~ Medion 500Gb ~ Canon Legria HFS10 ~ W/ FH
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Wish I could say I started in computer as a SYF..T, but didn't and somehow managed from Win3.1 on 12 3.5 floppies to Win10 and now a DOF..t and it has all become a bit easier so somebody must be getting it right :0)
Wow!, I barely remember Windows 3.1. I never found much you could do in Windows 3.1, because there were not many Windows programs back then.

From the posts in the Powerdirector forums, I wonder about Windows 10. Windows 7 does the best for the Windows OS.

Microsoft finally got it correct and good. Then they have to do something new. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Pettros1
Member Location: River Heads, Queensland, Australia Joined: Jan 06, 2011 19:08 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
Think Wordperfect, Corel Draw 3.0 with 386 DX, 105mb Hdd and 4kb of RAM. Now those where the days and even wash your hands before using computer PD Ultra 16.0.2524.0 ~ Windows 10 Pro Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz ~ AMD HD-7800 Series APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics ~ 16GB RAM ~ WD 1Gb Primary HD ~ Hitachi 500Gb ~ Buffalo 8Gb DriveStation ~ WD 1Gb ~ Medion 500Gb ~ Canon Legria HFS10 ~ W/ FH
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Who needs more than 640K of ram? Not long before we all started using extended memory and smashed through the 1MB barrier eh?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 01. 2016 19:03

James2016 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Queensland, Australia Joined: Oct 19, 2016 06:53 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
In PD15, I have the same problem with "Cyberlink PowerDirector found a temporary file that may be the project file automatically saved last time. Do you want to try and recover the project and open it?". This message, and the same temporary file, comes back every time I start the software, regardless of whether I say "yes" or "no", regardless of whether I save the temporary file material or not if I do load it, and regardless of whether I manually delete all temporary files. None of the suggestions made in this or other related threads that I've found so far make any difference without reinstalling PD15. I'll probably try reinstalling soon.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote In PD15, I have the same problem with "Cyberlink PowerDirector found a temporary file that may be the project file automatically saved last time. Do you want to try and recover the project and open it?". This message, and the same temporary file, comes back every time I start the software, regardless of whether I say "yes" or "no", regardless of whether I save the temporary file material or not if I do load it, and regardless of whether I manually delete all temporary files. None of the suggestions made in this or other related threads that I've found so far make any difference without reinstalling PD15. I'll probably try reinstalling soon.
You should start your own new topic. The is a very old thread.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/87.page

Click on New Topic button at the top of forum. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James2016 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Queensland, Australia Joined: Oct 19, 2016 06:53 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Quote In PD15, I have the same problem with "Cyberlink PowerDirector found a temporary file that may be the project file automatically saved last time. Do you want to try and recover the project and open it?". This message, and the same temporary file, comes back every time I start the software, regardless of whether I say "yes" or "no", regardless of whether I save the temporary file material or not if I do load it, and regardless of whether I manually delete all temporary files. None of the suggestions made in this or other related threads that I've found so far make any difference without reinstalling PD15. I'll probably try reinstalling soon.
You should start your own new topic. The is a very old thread.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/87.page

Click on New Topic button at the top of forum.

Thanks Carl. Will do.