Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to find tmp file trying to open PD13 at start up?
Pettros1
Member Location: River Heads, Queensland, Australia Joined: Jan 06, 2011 19:08 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
This seems simple but I cannot find this tmp file to delete.

Thanks for your help.

Am working with x8 Hdds and think I have searched the lot.

Peter
[Thumb - PD 13 Startup box.jpg]
 Filename
PD 13 Startup box.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
64 time(s)
PD Ultra 16.0.2524.0 ~ Windows 10 Pro Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz ~ AMD HD-7800 Series APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics ~ 16GB RAM ~ WD 1Gb Primary HD ~ Hitachi 500Gb ~ Buffalo 8Gb DriveStation ~ WD 1Gb ~ Medion 500Gb ~ Canon Legria HFS10 ~ W/ FH
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I don't have my computer on, so does Windows 7 still have a Start folder? Once upon a time it was used for programs that load at start up and there may be a file that got saved there. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried using the 'Manually Delete' button in Preferences > General ? Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
You would normally only get this if you closed PD without saving a project you had been working on. It can be useful if PD was subject to a power cut for instance and you lost your work, I suppose it is a sort of safety device.

In my experience, once you have started your next project and saved it, you would not see this again until the situation occurred again.

If you do take advantage of tmp file being available, you will have to rename and save the project as it becomes a new project. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Pettros1
Member Location: River Heads, Queensland, Australia Joined: Jan 06, 2011 19:08 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks all for quick response.
Using win10 and can find nothing in startup. Also did manual delete of all files and still comes back. And also have opened this tmp file and is complete and then save it to separate Hdds where stored and backed up. Did not change file name and still works fine.
Over a year or so I fill up a 1Tb drive as export, storage etc. and have changed to a different drive but blowed if I can find this one. PD Ultra 16.0.2524.0 ~ Windows 10 Pro Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz ~ AMD HD-7800 Series APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics ~ 16GB RAM ~ WD 1Gb Primary HD ~ Hitachi 500Gb ~ Buffalo 8Gb DriveStation ~ WD 1Gb ~ Medion 500Gb ~ Canon Legria HFS10 ~ W/ FH
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried performing a global search for it? I assume you know the name of the file so if you go to the highest hierarchical level, which is 'Computer', and enter it in 'Search Computer' can't you find it there? Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Logic tells me that the file doesn't exist. As I said earlier, the file is there because PD has been closed for some reason without saving. If you decline to use the tmp file it's most likely deleted automatically. Generally, it is copy of the file at your last saving point before forced or mistaken closure. If you do open it, it becomes a separate project which you have to name even though it is copy of your last work.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 28. 2016 07:41

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Pettros1 - In your screenshot click no and it should go away after the next time you use PD and save a project. I agree with the shadowman. Those autosave temp files are in a hidden folder that you don't need to remove unless it bothers you.
Pettros1
[Post New]
Yep, did computer search even searched all tmp files using *.tmp and not there??
Opened tmp file again and saved with new name and still comes back.
Opened, saved, renamed and then deleted and still comes back. PD Ultra 16.0.2524.0 ~ Windows 10 Pro Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz ~ AMD HD-7800 Series APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics ~ 16GB RAM ~ WD 1Gb Primary HD ~ Hitachi 500Gb ~ Buffalo 8Gb DriveStation ~ WD 1Gb ~ Medion 500Gb ~ Canon Legria HFS10 ~ W/ FH
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Are you saying its there every time you open PD?

Can you just clarify exactly how you save a project. This is very odd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 28. 2016 09:16

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The screenshot that Pettros1 posted never said it the file had a .tmp extension. It has a .pds extension. Try this:

Open PD13. Go to Preferences/Project. Look at the browse file box. That is where the location of where the temp pds files are located. Temporarily set the autosave back to 10 minute if you changed it. Uncheck the Auto save.. checkbox. Click OK. Close PD13. Use windows explorer to locate the folder you found in the browse folder earlier and delete all those pds files. You may have to enable the allowing of showing of hidden files if you haven't done so already.

Open Pd and re enable the Auto save.. checkbox if you want. If you continue to have problems then the PD13 installation in win 10 is probably corrupted. PD13 can be uninstalled, registry must be cleaned up and all traces of PD13 must be removed before a reinstallation.

Let us know if this solves your problem.
Fenman
[Post New]
Quote: Opened tmp file again and saved with new name and still comes back.
Opened, saved, renamed and then deleted and still comes back.

Saving under a new name makes a new copy. It won't remove the old file. Therefore if you then delete the new file you've just saved it will still leave the old one.

As tomasc pointed out if it's a genuine autosave file created by PD it will have a .pds extension. If you know the filename part you can just do a search for <filename>.* if you haven't tried that already. Also as tomasc says you need to make sure Windows is set to show hidden files in Folder Options. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
The Shadowman
[Post New]
It does say it is a "temporary file" surely if it was a PDS project file it would not have to be renamed on opening.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 28. 2016 10:07

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Pettros1
[Post New]
Yes, solved. Short answer, deleted the .pds in autosave. Is there a maximum number of files 'Autosave' will store and then it deletes them?
Thanks Tomasc. Think .pds not .tmp.
Have the .pds backed up elsewhere so not a problem.
When reopened from backup all is there and just have to reassociate couple of .jpg files.
So all OK.
Subject of files is bit of a deal to know best way to save and store which is a whole other subject. I try to remove and store the drives in a safe place PD Ultra 16.0.2524.0 ~ Windows 10 Pro Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz ~ AMD HD-7800 Series APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics ~ 16GB RAM ~ WD 1Gb Primary HD ~ Hitachi 500Gb ~ Buffalo 8Gb DriveStation ~ WD 1Gb ~ Medion 500Gb ~ Canon Legria HFS10 ~ W/ FH
Fenman
[Post New]
In Preferences > General you can specify the number of days before temporary files are deleted as well as manually deleting them and in Preferences > Project you can specify how often autosaved files are generated and change where they are stored.

Apologies if you already know that. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: This seems simple but I cannot find this tmp file to delete.

Thanks for your help.

Am working with x8 Hdds and think I have searched the lot.

Peter
The simple thing to do is click No. PD will open with no PDS file.

What happens if you click Yes? Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Pettros1
[Post New]
Carl if I click yes a complete.pds project and if click no goes away. Problem is it keeps coming back. Even after deleting from auto save it is still coming back. Just annoying that's all. Not had happen ever before. PD Ultra 16.0.2524.0 ~ Windows 10 Pro Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz ~ AMD HD-7800 Series APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics ~ 16GB RAM ~ WD 1Gb Primary HD ~ Hitachi 500Gb ~ Buffalo 8Gb DriveStation ~ WD 1Gb ~ Medion 500Gb ~ Canon Legria HFS10 ~ W/ FH
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Carl if I click yes a complete.pds project and if click no goes away. Problem is it keeps coming back. Even after deleting from auto save it is still coming back. Just annoying that's all. Not had happen ever before.
That is strange.

What happens if you click Yes, then File > Save Project As? Does the message go away?

Is Powerdirector correctly shutting down after you Save Project As then close Powerdirector?

I have seen that message a lot of times, it is always when Powerdirector was improperly closed. (such as a power failure).

You can change the location for AutoSave, that would move the Autosave location away from the current location. Change at Preferences > Project in the text box. Create a new location on your hard drive, then Browse for the new location. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl312 - You would be surprised at what I have seen over the years. There are people that hate computers and never learn. The shutdown their computers with all the apps still open and expect windows to close them all properly. They blame the software. I even remember seeing those that power down a vcr while the tape is playing because they think electronics should be able to fix themselves. When you tell them they give you an argument and say buying high end and high priced equipment gives less problems. I believe that it is true.
Fenman
[Post New]
tomasc, closing applications should be no different whether done individually by the user or by Windows as part of a clean shutdown. If the latter doesn't occur cleanly it IS the fault of the software. For example if a file has been edited and the application doesn't cause the shutdown to pause whilst it prompts for confirmation that is sloppy and insufficiently tested programming.

Similarly switching off something like a vcr whilst it is playing shouldn't cause a problem. It should be designed to cope with it since it might be subject to a power cut. The same goes for a computer. Whilst Windows will always warn of an incorrect shutdown in most cases it will survive because the most likely risk is that open files have not been closed and written to disk. You might lose a bit of work but usually there aren't any major corruptions.

I'm not necessarily suggesting users should do these things, just that the technology is perfectly capable of coping with it providing it's properly designed. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system: