Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Edited clips acting as if they are not edited and other strange problems
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I think that's it. Whether the box is working as intended is debatable, but unchecking the Keep audio pitch does bring back the sound on the 3rd clip.

I would interpret the control as only being able to keep the pitch within the range of 0.5x - 2x and you'd get actual speed audio outside of that range rather than ending up with the audio muted.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2015 18:45

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I reread your last post and saw that this was just one about the speed/audio issue. I think Jeff has cleared this up - so would it be possible to pack and share the version that you made the screen recording of?

There's got to be more content in the timeline that was shown on the recorded video...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2015 18:50

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

stevefrench73 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2015 22:30 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I think that's it. Whether the box is working as intended is debatable, but unchecking the Keep audio pitch does bring back the sound on the 3rd clip.

I would interpret the control as only being able to keep the pitch within the range of 0.5x - 2x and you'd get actual speed audio outside of that range rather than ending up with the audio muted.

Very interesting, I think you just solved that issue for me! I suspect the other problems might still persist. But then again, maybe the glitch in the keep audio pitch thing is somehow causing the other glitches. As far as I can tell, they only seem to arise when the audio/speed issue is going on.

I too interpret the "keep audio pitch" - since it's a sub-feature of "keep audio" - to only affect the clip when the speed is up to 2x. But, in reality, it acts as though the "remove audio" option is selected when the speed is 2.000x or above. That definitely seems like a bug to me and not the intended implementation.

Either way, you helped be work aroud the audio issue so thank you very much! I don't know why I didn't think to try that. Now if CyberLink would come up with a patch to fix that it would be awesome.

Have a wonderful day
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Very interesting, I think you just solved that issue for me! I suspect the other problems might still persist. But then again, maybe the glitch in the keep audio pitch thing is somehow causing the other glitches. As far as I can tell, they only seem to arise when the audio/speed issue is going on.

I too interpret the "keep audio pitch" - since it's a sub-feature of "keep audio" - to only affect the clip when the speed is up to 2x. But, in reality, it acts as though the "remove audio" option is selected when the speed is 2.000x or above. That definitely seems like a bug to me and not the intended implementation.

Either way, you helped be work aroud the audio issue so thank you very much! I don't know why I didn't think to try that. Now if CyberLink would come up with a patch to fix that it would be awesome.

Have a wonderful day

I don't think that's a bug, just how it's implemented. One can adjust audio in different ways during a speed adjustment. Much harder to maintain pitch (frequency) when audio speed is changed, hence the narrow adjustment range. With the box unchecked, slowing down lowers the pitch, speeding it up raises the pitch.

I guess they could implement a dual default, mantain pitch by default within the adjustment range (current) and then anything outside that adjustment range keep audio but change the pitch (unselect keep audio pitch). I see it simply as a setting that the editor should be cognizant of during his edits depending what they want. One desire the chipmunk effect in .5-2x range or not.

Jeff
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Have a wonderful day

I don't think that's a bug, just how it's implemented. One can adjust audio in different ways during a speed adjustment. Much harder to maintain pitch (frequency) when audio speed is changed, hence the narrow adjustment range. With the box unchecked, slowing down lowers the pitch, speeding it up raises the pitch.

I guess they could implement a dual default, mantain pitch by default within the adjustment range (current) and then anything outside that adjustment range keep audio but change the pitch (unselect keep audio pitch). I see it simply as a setting that the editor should be cognizant of during his edits depending what they want. One desire the chipmunk effect in .5-2x range or not.

Jeff

I get what you're saying. But that's why there's an option to not keep the audio. The keep audio pitch option is subset under "keep audio". If it's not a bug it's a very bad and non-intuitive way to handle the 'command tree' (for lack of a better term).
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I reread your last post and saw that this was just one about the speed/audio issue. I think Jeff has cleared this up - so would it be possible to pack and share the version that you made the screen recording of?

There's got to be more content in the timeline that was shown on the recorded video...

I promise I checked and there was no other clips below. There were only empty tracks below and after. I'd rather not pack this particular project. But when I get a chance, it'll throw together another demo with clips I don't mind sharing. I'm working through a project now so I'll have a good idea of whether the problem persists after working around the audio/speed issue.

I've been using PowerDirector for about months now and am aware that higher number tracks take center stage. I never have any issues even remotely similar with PD13.
optodata
[Post New]
No worries. Hopefully whatever was going on won't come up again, and feel free to start a new post if anything else comes up.

Good luck with your project!

YouTube/optodata

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

I promise I checked and there was no other clips below. There were only empty tracks below and after. I'd rather not pack this particular project. But when I get a chance, it'll throw together another demo with clips I don't mind sharing. I'm working through a project now so I'll have a good idea of whether the problem persists after working around the audio/speed issue.

I've been using PowerDirector for about months now and am aware that higher number tracks take center stage. I never have any issues even remotely similar with PD13.

Any chance you don't use shadow files in PD13? You are in PD14 based on your settings and screen capture. I have seen them do some funny things, especially if one starts editing prior to them being created in their entirety. You can always delete them for your project and wait for PD to create them prior to additional editing and see if that clears up the playback issue.

Jeff
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Ok. Thanks for sending this over!

Here's a clickable version of the *link* in case anyone has trouble copying and pasting (the forum is a real pain sometimes!)

Also, this is clearly a different version of the project than you recorded. That had a separate audio track while each of these clips has it combined. I don't see anything unusual right off the bat. For example, if I move the clips apart and place the scrubber in the gap, there's no sound or video showing up.

Are you saying that if you do that with this exact same project as it currently exists, that you see video in the preview window like you showed on your screen recording?

No, this particular video only demostrated the audio issue. I'm trying to isolate the propblems so I can to get a better grasp of exactly what triggers them. This particular one does not exhibit the "clip acting as if it's un-edited" symptoms. If the other problems persist I will make another demo showing what's going on.

Also, the other symptoms never showed unless a clip is split and manipulted. And, I think, sped up as well.

Thanks for you time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2015 20:12

stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
*sigh* The audio problem just happened again, even with the "keep audio pitch" unchecked. And when it happened, ALL the other symptoms showed up too.

I'll try to drudge through this project because I really need to get it done. Then I'll revisit these topics and start again by uploading a fresh project with all the files packed, showing the entire gamut of symptoms.

Until then, thanks again for all the help.
optodata
[Post New]
Sorry to hear that. I don't think you ever answered JL_JL's question about shadow files. If they're on, make sure that all the little tags are green on all clips in the Media Library.

You can also turn them off under Preferences and see if that makes an difference. This only takes 5 seconds.

YouTube/optodata