Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio Output Trouble Making MOV Files
Pierogo [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Taylor, MI Joined: Jun 21, 2012 21:04 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I've started to use my copy of PowerDirector 10 again after a couple of years, trying to produce a MOV file. For some reason, no audio is recorded. When I produce the project as an AVI, it's fine. What am I doing wrong?
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Are you certain that audio is not "recorded?" Perhaps the player lacks the correct CODEC. What player is being used to display the produced file?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The mov file would have audio on the left channel only if it is mono. Your laptop or pc needs another channel or left side speaker to hear it play it as a mov file. The same pc would play it okay on a pc with only 1 channel or speaker for the avi file format. You can call it a codec issue if you want. It would be best to add the other audio channel to your pc. Check for an inoperative speaker or channel. It can be an audio setting or driver issue. Two years is a long time.
Pierogo [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Taylor, MI Joined: Jun 21, 2012 21:04 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your interest. The camera I'm using is a Canon 6d. I used the built-in mic, which I think records a mono signal to both channels. The clips recorded by the camera are saved as MOV files that play just fine when brought over to my Windows 7 desktop computer, sound and all using QuickTime.

Sound plays normally through the editing process. Like I said originally, when I specify a mov

file at the produce stage, no sound plays using the QuickTime player, but if I specify an avi, it's okay.

So, is it possible that QT can read the Canon's audio, but Power Director creates audio my computer can't?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I don't think so. Here is how you can find out. Highlight that mov clip. Right mouse click and choose Edit audio/WaveEditor. You should see only a top waveform for the left channel and no right channel for mono unless you let WaveEditor make the conversion.
[Post New]
You can also choose a video converter to handle the conversion task to get audio in mov file.