Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 11 and Windows 10
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
The Cyberlink Tester shows that PD11 is not suitable for use with Windows 10? Also most of my other Cyberlink programmes.

It seems unreasonable not to support earlier softwares when a Windows programme update is released, though I can understand that earlier software will not be supported with updates that actually improve the programme. This also means that I cannot buy a new pc loaded with W10 and use purchased software.

Has anyone further information about these issues please.

Cheers Ron CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
... and confirmed by Cyberlink. Great, that means that virtually all my Cyberlink products will be trashed when I upgrade to W10, either on this pc or a new one. And product that I purchased on disc. Nice company ... all other suppliers of software on my pc will or have solved any W10 issues.

Oh, and by the way, I told Cyberlink that I used W7 and checked all software via their 'tester' ... seems that they do not really bother to read what their customers say.

Ron

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.I understand that you have the issue related to the compatibility of software with Windows 10.Regarding to your concern, I would like to inform you that PowerDirector 11 software and other softwares are not compatible with Windows 10. To resolve this issue we (we?) have two option:

1) You can purchase upgrade of that software which is compatible with the Windows 10. You may follow the below link to know about the software which are compatible with Window 10.http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/window10-updates-center/enu/products.jsp

2) You can roll-back to Windows 8. CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
[Post New]
I am worried about that. I am gonna upgrade my computer to windows 10, and it is possible that I cannot use PD 11 anymore.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I don't think Cyberlink's response necessarily means that your programs won't work at all when you update to Win10, only that they don't guarantee that they will run and they clearly will not provide any support if you encounter problems.

I say that with PD12 and 13 running perfectly fine on my Win10 system, even though only PD13 is "compatible."

On the PD13 forum, there have been numerous reports of error messages with certain AVI clips on Win10 systems that were handled correctly on Win 7 and 8.1, and I expect that there will be a patch coming shortly - but that's the only common problem reported so far.

My point is that it's not necessarily black and white that PD11 won't work on Win10. I no longer have the installation files so I can't test it out, but I'd actually expect that it would work reasonable well, and if it didn't, you'd know right away.

At the same time, upgrading to PD13 (or 14 once it's released) would ensure compatibility and get you into a whole range of features that have been added since PD11.

This is all just my opinion - feel free to accept or discard it however you see fit

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2015 03:05

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
RonH
[Post New]
Quote: I don't think Cyberlink's response necessarily means that your programs won't work at all when you update to Win10, only that they don't guarantee that they will run and they clearly will not provide any support if you encounter problems.

Thanks for your valuable comment though Cyberlink are rather specific in their reply to me.I know that one is supposed to be able to upgrade to W10 and revert back to eg W7 if there issues but this can be rather complex. So, rather than gamble I will hold off for some months to see if any others with non-current issue Cyberlink software are willing to 'test the temperature'.

Maybe it is just Cyberlink's way of securring more business but it could also mean the loss of many long term customers who opt to move to alterative suppliers.

Ron CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Ron, I think it would be useful to know specifically what will not work in Win10.

I say that because there are many, many legacy programs written for XP that ran fine on Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1, and there were also some older programs that absolutely required updates for newer OSes. From what I saw, those were almost exclusively driver issues and not problems with the main program code.

PD is a complicated piece of software and it needs to be tightly integrated with the graphics drivers and media foundation (codecs, etc.), so changes in any of those can cause serious problems. Those are legitimate (and significant) technical issues, but I think the statement that essentially all previous versions of every product are "not compatible" is a corporate decision and not a technical one.

To be clear, I fully understand the rationale behind that, and I can imagine the headaches caused for both users and tech support if Cyberlink stated that every old version was "compatible" and had to deal with every possible issue that could come up. By focusing their resources on only the current product generation (and ones in the pipeline), I think they're making the right call.

I also think that your approach of letting others test the water is a good choice. Some people, like myself, are willing to jump in first knowing that we will almost certainly face difficulties and frustration. I like to think that "pioneers" do it both because we feel that the risks are worth the rewards, and because everyone else will benefit from our experiences.

I expect that within a few weeks, most of the big upgrading issues will be resolved and the few entry barriers to Win10 will be lower. Hopefully there will be other people who "take the plunge" with PD11 and earlier versions who can report on how they fared. I'd be happy to do that, but I no longer have any installation files from before PD12

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Certain video processes in PD do not function (without hacks) using NVidia drivers that are more recent than 13.3788, which was current when the program was released. This is not critical to PD operation.

Windows 10 automatically updates video drivers. While that can be blocked, from a Cyberlink perspective their statement that PD11 is not compatible may be understandable.

Specifics on that being the case may come to the fore as other users adopt that operating system. Yet here, in limited testing, PD11 is functional in Windows 10 Pro. The older driver is in use. Some gamers may need newer drivers but for the bulk of users it's not necessary to update with each release, in my opinion.
RonH
[Post New]
Thanks folks for taking time out.

I do appreciate that most likely it is a commercial (not technical) decision of Cyberlink to state 'not compatible' but this is a very blunt way to inform their long term customers and leave the impression that they simply do not care. A bit more explanation by them would have been what I call good customer service ... maybe this is because its the kind of service I insisted that my staff gave when I ran a business in communication products, but I am retired now and times are different.

Interestingly Cyberlink are replying very quickly to my queries which is not something that I have experienced in the past. As I mentioned, I am going to tread water on W10. I may very well choose to purchase PD14/16 (whatever it may be called) at some time following release.

Enough of my grumbles and thanks again.

Cheers

Ron CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)