Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Trim - Help Please!
Ray(str) [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2015 12:28 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

Just a quickie...I am just about getting around PowerDirector 13 but have hit a real problem. I am trying to remove the start and end off various clips of my movie but to say I am baffled is an understatement. I know that the Split function can be use to split a clip but I am actually wanting to trim a bit off the end & the beginning of various frames to tidy up my footage.

First this is what I am doing:

1. Highliting the clip on the timeline (turns blue)

2. Click "TRIM"

3. Trim window opens.

Lets say the clip has a flower at the beginning and a rowing boat at the end, this is what I would expect to see in my preview window, and the play (or slider) would take me through the clip I have highlighted but it is nothing like it.

The images don't match at all, and the timings don't look right either. The Main Preview window (the large one, on the left) shows a picture from another part of the footage, the small window (Top Right) shows another and the final one (Bottom Right) is also incorrect. What am I doing wrong? I have followed the tutorial but it doesn't work.

It seems that the TRIM window is showing different parts of my movie, than the one I am trying to edit.

It's driving me mad....can anyone help please.........any guidence would be really helpful!

Cheers,

Ray(str)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ray(str) ,
Trim is a function many (experienced) editors avoid as it is more of a pain to use, the function is a carry over from when we had large long clips to edit.
Follow the guide E & F and show us what you're looking at with a screenshot - attach it to your next entry (click Post Reply). https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40225.page
You've touched on using Split and I'd like you to carry on with that method and you'll find it a lot easier to grasp in the long run.
1. Open PDR13
2. Display just the Sample clips in the Media Library.
3. Drag with a click and a move, the Boats.wmv to Track 1.
4. Expand the clip in the track. There are two methods to expand the track, bottom left is a slider, move it to the right. The other method involves the placement of the cursor where the track markers are and when it changes to a two directional arrow, click and move your mouse.
5. Now comes the fun bit and how to use the Split function. On your keyboard there are the comma and the full stop keys, left motion and right motion. Press the full stop "." with the clip in the track highlighted. The Preview slider moves, the Preview counter moves a frame at a time with every single press, holding the button down and the slider in the preview and the track zips along. To go back, click the comma button ",", once or more times hold down for faster motion. You now have precise control of the frame selection.
6. Choose "Split" to place a cut mark in the clip. Highlighting the clip again - proceed to make further cut marks where you want.
7. You can undo an action remember.
8. You can highlight and delete a selected split at any time.

Does the info help?

Dafydd

[Thumb - SD-2013-02-1495.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-1495.png
[Disk]
 Description
Split - Keyboard controls
 Filesize
294 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
133 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 21. 2015 03:49

Ray(str) [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2015 12:28 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd.....yes, really helpful my friend.

I am still trying to find my way around the software but your suggestions make a lot of sense, that said, I would like to be able to choose to use the trim function, and it would be very helpful to know if anyone else can get it working!

Thanks again for all your help mate, really appreciate it.

Regards

Raystr
bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
This tip can be useful http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42527.page W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Videocam: Panasonic SD 700 avchd
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17