Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
First Impressions and Suggestions from a Blogger/Editor
Tesityr
Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
[Post New]
(**Edited to add a few more suggestions)

First of all, I want to say how impressed I am with what Cyberlink’s PowerDirector has become. I tried it only a little in the past (way back in the early 2000's) and saw it a little around version 8; but didn't get around to playing with it for quite a while until recently.

A big part of testing it out again was available time to do so and the format of the Free Trial Download: Full-Featured With A Time Limit – that’s how you do a demo (other companies take note)
A ‘handicapped/missing features’ Trial would not have enticed near the level that an unrestricted [other than time] demo did, allowing me to test the full ‘Power’ of the application and all of its’ features. Impressed is the only word I can think of at this time, to express how I feel about this program.
If I may name a competitor directly, I was normally a user of Sony’s Vegas Video and [now] Movie Studio (being a small blog creator and not a Production House, I could never afford the Professional versions). However, I have been testing out the unrestricted/'non-crippled' Trial for a while (I am just over halfway through it’s time limit, initially downloaded under a more personal name) and I can already see that PowerDirector offers all of the features that I was using in Sony’s NLE product – and a few more (sorry, Sony!)

One of the features that PowerDirector has [that Sony Vegas doesn’t] is a built-in ‘Video Noise Reduction’ filter. I love this and it has become my favourite feature of PowerDirector. I periodically go back and try to restore older videos and productions I have (and do so for other people as well), and PowerDirector’s “Denoise” filter (listed under the Fix/Enhance tools) seems powerful - and even ‘smart’ - when used as a 'tool' to do so. It is great at hiding and/or smoothing-out compression artifacts of older clips, such as Macroblocks and Gibbs Effects (“ringing”) around objects, all the while attempting to keep the sharp edges of text and other elements visible [it must intelligently search for and recognize text as ‘text’, as it seems to treat it slightly differently than say, a high-contrast edge on a piece of clothing... Not being a developer for CyberLink, I have no idea exactly how it works of course, but it is wonderful stuff]... and I haven’t even gone into any of the other myriad of options and effects that this program has (“Fine Noise” as a ‘Film Grain effect’ that isn’t blotchy/messy like some other programs!) - insert my word for PowerDirector again here: “impressed”.

The only ‘suggestions’ I can come up with so far, are some feature ideas and one issue with rendering output that is compatible with my trusty old PSP (PlayStationPortable):

Render ‘Issue’:

The “Device” tab in the Production section of the application is Manna From Heaven for people who do not know the exact specifications to render to, for compatible playback with every device they might own. However, I found a peculiar occurrence when rendering out for playback on my PSP (for traveling):
When rendering with the Device Preset(s) for the PSP, including the 480x272 (Native Resolution of the PSP) PS-Vita preset [because it isn’t available in the PSP section], everything plays back without a hitch. However, when rendering using the MPEG-4 “Standard 2D” format/category, in 720x480 (Maximum Resolution of the PSP for input before the PS-Vita was released) with compatible settings (Main Profile, 1500kbps, etc) for playback, if I render utilizing the CPU (disabling the Fast Video Rendering Technology of PowerDirector), the PSP will not play the output result. If I render utilizing the GPU/videocard (”hardware video encoder”, enabling the Fast Video Rendering Technology of PowerDirector), the PSP will play the output result without problem. [Possibly related to how either the program or the videocard is formatting the output, I personally find this conundrum interesting; but] Since this issue can be ‘worked around’ [by rendering with the Hardware Video Encoding option], I am listing this as more of a ‘suggestion’ to be looked at sometime (a Low Priority matter of course) rather than a problem or bug with the program.

**A few Suggestions (is there a more proper forum for Suggestions?):

• There seems to be no way to add more than one instance of an effect to a clip at a time... It would be great to be able to ‘double up’ some of the effects, to increase their strength past the built-in settings, if desired for creativity purposes (what is meant here is, to add more than one instance of the same effect into a clip event)

• Customizable Resolutions for rendering (where you can enter in a value manually, ‘Unlockable with a warning that only Advanced Users should enable this' perhaps)... The presets are all great, common and compatible resolutions; but it would be nice to choose some non-standard resolutions (as well as [from my personal example ‘issue’above] the ability to choose a resolution/codec combination that is not readily available in the Device tab of the Rendering section (to use my example above again, being able to choose 480x272 for an MPEG-2 codec render) or an output size that matches a set of images, without resizing or cropping)

• Customizable Resolutions for editing (again, perhaps an ‘unlockable for advanced users’ option, where you can enter in a resolution manually)... The preset working resolutions are good, but there are only 16:9 and 4:3 [although these are the common device/home user resolution standards], where one cannot produce, for example, an set of effects on an image and save that in a readily-available (no need to crop/resize later) output.
    I must say here though, as an editor, that I do like the ‘at-a-glance’ AR icon at the top of the program to remind me what I am working in, if I forget for a moment!

• The ability to choose a framerate ‘correction’ type... The program warns you if you are importing material that has differing framerates [than your project default - where can you change your project framerate?], but it would be nice to have options on how to adjust for the differences in utilized clips. For example, an [‘unlockable’?] option to allow for the choice of framerates (15fps, 60fps, 120fps, etc) and how to adjust for them (to be able to choose between frame dropping, frame interpolation, etc)

• The ability to 'override' the warning in the Create Disc section, that the Project is larger than the assigned disc size. Some of us realize this and will playback the composition from the Folder on a Hard Drive or Thumbdrive, not from an optical disc. Also, we can use other software that will allow us to compact the output into a standardized disc size (such as Nero's Recode utility) afterward, if desired

• The ability to create a simple, one-menu disc project, in the Create Disc section. No chapters, no fuss, just put my two little clips over an image and it's done. Why isn't this simple ability in PowerDirector?

• Still, overall I am thoroughly enjoying PD12. Perhaps I’ve been getting tired, but I still simply cannot access my personal vocabulary enough to produce many other words than “impressed” for PowerDirector and my reaction to what I have seen so far of its’ most recent iteration (especially coming from not having tried the program for a while and the amount of capability, for the price point, seems to be a fantastic value). I am a ‘small-time’ blog creator [with an audience of only about 6,000 viewers a month]; but if I ever become ‘big enough to be interesting’ to CyberLink, feel free to use these quotes, Contract-Free, at any time for PowerDirector 12:

“Very Impressive” ~ The Game Tips And More Blog
    “Surprisingly Powerful for any Home User or Blogger to create Productions” ~The Game Tips And More Blog

Thank you, CyberLink, for a great Trial and a wonderfully-developed application.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Apr 21. 2014 19:03

BarryTheCrab
    Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
    [Post New]
    Game Tips And More Blog,
    welcome to our volunteer forum.

Q: There seems to be no way to add more than one instance of an effect to a clip at a time...
    A: Although there is only a single dedicated FX timeline, you can drag more FX directly onto the clip for a total of 6.

Q: Customizable Resolutions for rendering...
    A: When choosing your render profile, you can edit them by clicking on the + plus icon.
    Keep in mind your custom profiles can be accessed via the dropdown menu next to it revealing DEFAULT, CUSTOM, or ALL.

Q: The ability to choose a framerate ‘correction’ type...
    A: See previous answer.

If you cannot customize to your liking, you can alter the profile ini manually. It is found here on a W7x64 system. C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\12.0

A visit to PDTooTs tutorials is also a good idea. http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots

Good luck.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2014 10:10

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
    Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
    Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
    Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
    https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
    Tesityr
    Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: Game Tips And More Blog,
    welcome to our volunteer forum.

Q: There seems to be no way to add more than one instance of an effect to a clip at a time...
    A: Although there is only a single dedicated FX timeline, you can drag more FX directly onto the clip for a total of 6.

A: When choosing your render profile, you can edit them by clicking on the + plus icon.
    Keep in mind your custom profiles can be accessed via the dropdown menu next to it revealing DEFAULT, CUSTOM, or ALL.

If you cannot customize to your liking, you can alter the profile ini manually. It is found here on a W7x64 system. C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\12.0

A visit to PDTooTs tutorials is also a good idea. http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots

Good luck.

Greetings BarryTheCrab,

Thanks for your helpful reply! I'll try to Clarify my intent for those steps you gave:

C: Thank you for that [there's a limit of 6?], though what I meant here was, more than one instance of the same effect. For example, applying "Dreamy" to a clip, then after 'maxing out' the setting for it and wanting 'more', there seems to be no way to 'add more' of the single effect (adding "Dreamy" again to the same clip, to further enhance the effect) [that I could see so far].

C: Thanks, I found the ability to create Custom profiles. While they are already quite versatile, what I was referring to here was the ability to manually put in a value for the resolution to render as, say 720x720 or 250x960. There seems to be no option or place to enter such a thing into [that I could see].

C: I should have been more clear here about what I was referring to, sorry. What I meant for the frame adjustments was, how a video editing program might adjust the framerate, when the output setting differs from what the clip originally was. For instance, if I have an old 15fps clip and wanted to resample it at 23.976fps, how would the editing application handle it? I was looking for an option such as "Duplication" or "Interpolation", where in the first case, the program simply makes copies of the frames it has, and in the second case, it tries to find differences between the frames and blend them together into each other.

Thanks for your input though, Barry - and the reminder that this was a Volunteer Forum - CyberLink Developers don't come to the Forums?
    These are not things I am entirely dissatisfied with or "needing right now" by the way, I merely either didn't see these options at the time, or if they are something not available in the program, perhaps I can offer them to CyberLink as Suggestions for future versions.
    I'll be sure to check out your helpful links, too.
    Thanks again!
    BarryTheCrab
    Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
    [Post New]
    "applying "Dreamy" to a clip, then after 'maxing out' the setting for it and wanting 'more', there seems to be no way to 'add more' "
    You want folks DREAMY? Or in a coma?
    Actually, drag Dreamy, or any FX into the FX line, and drag it again directly onto the clip, and it's COMA-time!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2014 10:49

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
    Tesityr
    [Post New]
    Quote: "applying "Dreamy" to a clip, then after 'maxing out' the setting for it and wanting 'more', there seems to be no way to 'add more' "
    You want folks DREAMY? Or in a coma?
    Actually, drag Dreamy, or any FX into the FX line, and drag it again directly onto the clip, and it's COMA-time!

Hahaha!

That works great, thanks - but it can only be applied twice, then?

What if a person wanted MORE?

I NEED IT MOAR DREAMY!

Seriously, it's not looking like I put Vaseline on the lens quite yet (but it's darn close). Is there a way to apply the same effect more than twice?

babindia
    Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
    [Post New]
    Barry

VS allows addition of multiple effects on a clip and is a serious need in PD.
    VS has an option to replace the last effect and if the option is unchecked allows multiple effects to be added on the top of one another. PC specs :
    OS Windows 10.0 Pro
    MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
    Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
    Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
    6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
    nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
    BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Kevinv64 [Avatar]
    Member Location: Upper Midwest Joined: Jun 28, 2012 05:41 Messages: 106 Offline
    [Post New]
    Have you tried producing, going back to the Edit page, and then applying the same effect to the spot where you want it? You can easily control where it goes by splitting, so it won't be applied where you don't want it.

I'm not vouching for this method giving you the desired result, but it's something to try.
    Tesityr
    [Post New]
    Quote: Barry

VS allows addition of multiple effects on a clip and is a serious need in PD.
    VS has an option to replace the last effect and if the option is unchecked allows multiple effects to be added on the top of one another.

Please excuse me, BabIndia, I don't mean to barge in on your referring to BarryTheCrab, but I just wish to ask: what do you mean by "VS"? Thanks
    BarryTheCrab
    [Post New]
    Bab,
    Is the VideoStudio any different from PD's 7FX? Previously I noted SIX, but it's SEVEN FX. Then 1 more in the FX timeline for EIGHT. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
    Tesityr
    [Post New]
    Quote: Is the VideoStudio any different from PD's 7FX? Previously I noted SIX, but it's SEVEN FX. Then 1 more in the FX timeline for EIGHT.

Ah, VideoStudio, thank you Barry, I was wondering exactly what he was referring to. I have yet to try that one.

Quote: VS allows addition of multiple effects on a clip and is a serious need in PD.
    VS has an option to replace the last effect and if the option is unchecked allows multiple effects to be added on the top of one another.

Are you referring to the ability to apply more than one instance of the same effect, as I am attempting to do?

As a comparison, Sony's Vegas (even the Movie Studio 'lesser' version) allows up to 32 effects on one clip (it can be the exact same effect, duplicated for enhanced ...effect). I too [if that's what you mean] am disappointed with the inability to enhance/exaggerate one effect over and over in PD.
    Ah well, perhaps something for the Suggestion Form at CyberLink's main website...

Quote: Have you tried producing, going back to the Edit page, and then applying the same effect to the spot where you want it? You can easily control where it goes by splitting, so it won't be applied where you don't want it.
    I'm not vouching for this method giving you the desired result, but it's something to try.

That is in fact exactly what I have done in other video editing applications, to apply more than one instance of the same effect, if the program did not allow it natively. You are fully correct: as long as I 'pre-render' to a very high bitrate (or Uncompressed if possible) to keep the relative Quality, it does in fact give the desired result, in the end.

I was just wondering if it was possible to apply any one effect over and over 'in one step' in PowerDirector. Ah well, as I said above, perhaps it is something for the Suggestion Form at the main website.
    BarryTheCrab
    [Post New]
    This might sound silly, but I must ask...did you try moving the sliders in Effect control? Each FX can be adjusted A LOT, as well as key-framed. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
    Tesityr
    [Post New]
    Quote: This might sound silly, but I must ask...did you try moving the sliders in Effect control? Each FX can be adjusted A LOT, as well as key-framed.

Not silly at all, thanks for checking on me, Barry

I did in fact see the sliders in the Effect control (it wasn't overly obvious on how to adjust an effect once dragged onto the clip, but I saw the "Effect" button there eventually) and I was impressed/happy to find that I could put values in manually (great if you just can't drag that slider to where you want it exactly) and set Keyframes for changing an effect over time (again, impressed with what PD an actually do for the price overall).

It's just that sometimes - you know - you just can't get enough Dreamy!

Ok, not really, but I would like to enhance some effects past their current limitations (including the Dreamy effect)

Nigelegg714 [Avatar]
    Newbie Location: Minnesota, USA Joined: Jun 21, 2014 23:56 Messages: 6 Offline
    [Post New]
    An example - I am pixelating four distinct areas in one video clip to mask two women's "naughty parts" - even though they are fully clothed (it's a joke video). I can do two, using Newblue Pixelator directly in the clip and then again in the FX track. But then I have to render and add another two to the rendered video.
    Also - it seems that you can't modify a Newblue effect on the FX track and subsequently move it directly on to the video track.