Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Inserting close ups of actors
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I actually just gave up. I'll have to learn from someone who can give me step by sept and not talk to me like Im an expert editor...

In that case you may benefit from these tutorials.
They are the first steps in editing.

First Project part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXG2jDTHyKw

First Project part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccSNU_Z7BRc

They were created in an older Powerdirector, but the same principle applies. Powerdirector has changed only small ways while adding features. The basic functions are the same.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

PDuser [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 01, 2014 21:43 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Emmett,

Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do, but I think what you're describing is very easy. Even MovieMaker could do it. Here's how:

Drag your video into the timeline.
Either play the video to where you want to insert other pieces or drag the time hairline to that point.

Then click the split button. Your video becomes two separate videos.

Repeat this process for both of your actor videos until you have a bunch of independent pieces. You can do each actor on their own video track which makes it easier over how you have to do it in WMM.

Then you drag the clips in the order you want them into the third track. This will become your edited video.

So unless I'm missing something about what you're trying to do, this is dirt simple. Then you can add transitions between some of the clips if you need to break some sections up.

Do you understand what I'm describing? Good luck.

Themartaman
Newbie Location: Georgia Joined: Dec 08, 2014 05:44 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
There are some things you have to learn step by step. You are disgusted because no one can tell you how to do something. I have been using PC's for over 40 years and you don't seem to know how lucky you are. You have to use the software you have and by reading all you can find learn what it will do. You know nothing and want someone to make you an expert. In a few minutes. The info for doing what you want to do may be associated with another program but works the same way basically. Use Google and search for answers. As for Final Cut it is a great program. So I guess you also have a Mac Computer since it does not run on Windows. In 73 years I have learned patience is very rewarding. I like PowerDirector. I also have FinalCut ProX and other video software.
Good Luck Georgia Boy
emmettfitz8394
Newbie Location: USA Joined: Aug 11, 2013 13:14 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for your input. Once I realized that the people who were giving me input here do not have any idea what narrative dialog editing is I went back to basic hand cutting 8mm film editing. I realized as I was cutting the film by hand I was creating a new film strip!! That would be equal to creating a separate new video track for my splices to be put into. it was a simple as that! Again what took the longest was for me to wake up and stop asking advice from people who edit vacation videos but have no inkling on how to work with narrative dialog. Live and learn... :
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Interesting summation.

Editing narrative dialog vs. vacation videos.

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Themartaman
[Post New]
That was mentioned earlier. Put each person on his own track and cut and move clips created. Distinct change or a fade from one to the other. You are on the way. Have fun. Georgia Boy
emmettfitz8394
[Post New]
Themartaman Are you involved in all the work going on in Atlanta? I'm in Florida but audition there a lot for the films and TV series that shoot on location there. We are seriously considering a move to the Roswell area, we have family there..
Themartaman
[Post New]
No I am not. I worked in a commercial studio for 10 years and then switched to MARTA as a bus driver. I am 73 and retired. Roswell is north of Atlanta and I am just south of Atlanta. Was involved in a few things while driving. Where in Fla are you? Georgia Boy
emmettfitz8394
[Post New]
Presently in Port St Lucie and semi retired at age 66. Moved here to make a killing in real estate, the market collapsed so here we are. Nice area, a bedroom community. Grow Houses seem to be it's biggest industry. : My editing needs are simple. I have a video studio in my home so when an Agent requests I audition for a role, I can tape it. Saves me lots of time and money running all over the country. I'm looking to produce another low budget film but this time, edit the footage myself to save a ton of money. My last bunch of short films biggest expense was crew and post production. Google me for more background Emmett Fitzsimmons.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, emmettfitz8394. I recently completed editing a fashion show which used two different camera shots(from different angles and married them together, using the audio of one of the clips and laying the other clip over it(superimposed). The process is somewhat involved so I may have to write it out separately and paste the text into one of these reply windows to explain how I did it. Before that tough, I'm going to have to work out how to word the explanation so its easy to understand and follow. Leave it with me and "watch this space!"