Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 13 + 3-way SLI + Windows 8.1
MikeAvelar [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canda Joined: Jun 24, 2013 15:21 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
So, I've been having some problems with PowerDVD 13 and have been trying to sort it out with CyberLink.

When I use hardware acceleration to view videos, DVDs, Blu-Ray movies the application crashes. The problem goes away when I switch to software acceleration - which to me is pointless.

So, now CyberLink says:

In regards to your concern, I would like to inform you that I have escalated your case to our R & D team and they have informed you that we don't have the exact same platform (NVIDIA GTX 680 3-way SLI) and we tried to use similar platform but cannot reproduce this issue.

After investigation from the log file, it crashes at nvd3dum.dll NV's module. The NV driver or 3-way SLI might cause compatibility problem. We still suggest you to try using single VGA card or software decoding when playback PowerDVD.

Of course, the thing is, the default NVCPL profile already sets powerdvd.exe to "Single-GPU".

But before I give up on software I paid for and software that is endorsed by NVidia I was hoping someone else out there may have had this issue before and fixed it.

Here is all the information I sent to CyberLink including screenshots: http://sdrv.ms/19vfsfs

Thanks for any input.
Elric667 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2013 08:24 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
When I use hardware acceleration to view videos, DVDs, Blu-Ray movies the application crashes. The problem goes away when I switch to software acceleration - which to me is pointless.

Why is SW acceleration pointless to you?

Is PowerDVD the only program that crashes with HW accel or others too? (Acrsoft Totalmedia or the Freeware programs VLC, MPC-HC)?
MikeAvelar [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canda Joined: Jun 24, 2013 15:21 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't tried those other software. But I have no issues with PowerDirector 12, or any of my games.

The HW acceleration is smoother than the software - at least I find it to be. Especially when its deinterlacing a DVD. Playing DVDs with the SW acceleration seems choppy.

I'd like to get my money's worth from PowerDVD 13 because - it toots CUDA HW Acceleration, and its suppose to support Windows 8.1. Plus this issue only started recently. Since upgraded to Windows 8.1... actually. But its the only application I have issues with, everything else runs rock solid.
MikeAvelar [Avatar]
[Post New]
I looked into VLC, and it doesn't appear to decode Blu-Ray discs. I'll check out that other piece of software shortly.
MikeAvelar [Avatar]
[Post New]
Totalmedia crashes as well with HW Acceleration enabled... O.o I'm thinking I should be talking to NVidia.
MikeAvelar [Avatar]
[Post New]
I believe, with a 90% certainty that it might actually of been ShadowPlay - a new feature of NVidia GeForce Experience causing conflict, not so much as a conflict I would imagine but an intentional result of copyright protection? I disabled it and so far so good.