Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Original 3D movies
eQuation [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2014 14:46 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I am a rookie PDVD user. Today I bought the Ultra version of release 13. Finding myself in troubles some hours later.

I normaly watch original 3D blu-ray disks via a PS3. F.e. Avatar 3D. I connect this via a HDMI cable with a Samsung PS64D8000, with 3D on auto detect. Only thing needed in this setup is to connect the glasses, hit the play button in the menu and the fun starts.

So far so good, but today I installed PDVD on my PC. This PC is equiped with a Blu-ray player from LG with the latest drivers and software installed. It is 'powered' by an ATI Radeon HD 4850, also up-t-date. It is connected to the Samsung via DVI (with HDMI connector).

So today I tested it all with some blu-ray 3D disks and none are displaying the content in 3D. Let me explain that I do get into the DVD menu's, I do start the 3D version of the movie (all the same as I am used to on the PS3).

I doubted the, a bit dated, blu-ray player hardware, so I made a clone of the Underworld 3D movie and mounted it using Deamon Tools. Sad enough this did not help.
I am now doubting the ATI Radeon output (DVI to HDMI) but I Googled that and answers show me that it should not be the problem.
Did the CyberLink system check and all is on green... Leaving me a bit lost.

Can someone help me? Thank you!
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
What does this say about your setup?
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/bd-support/enu/index.jsp

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
eQuation [Avatar]
[Post New]
All is on "pass" except for "3D Display". That is strange since the connected "display" is an 3D Samsung TV (PS64D8000).

Any tips?
eQuation [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just made a print of the test and it shows a bit more details, this might help:

• Hardware Dual-Video Decoding Capability for H.264 : 1080p+480i Upgrade

• Hardware Dual-Video Decoding Capability for MPEG-2 : 1080p+480i Upgrade

• Hardware Dual-Video Decoding Capability for VC-1 : 1080p+480i Upgrade

• Could this be the problem?
    stevek
    Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
    [Post New]
    Does ATI have a 3D set up utility? Does that work to give you 3D on the TV?

Do you have an emitter built in or is it a separate device? Was it plugged in the last time your updated the driver? I use a NVidia card and I had to have my separate emitter plugged in during the driver update or the proper driver for 3D was not loaded.

It may also be the HMDI set up.

I'm just guessing. I hope someone else has an idea.

Is there anything here that may help?
    http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/3d-support/enu/index.jsp#overview

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2014 06:01

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
    Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
    Ben Ryves [Avatar]
    Member Joined: May 06, 2009 19:03 Messages: 61 Offline
    [Post New]
    As well as selecting the 3D option inside the Blu-ray disc menus, make sure that you have also enabled 3D in PowerDVD itself (PowerDVD defaults to 2D output, even with 3D content). There's a "3D" button in the control strip at the bottom of the window - trying clicking this.
    eQuation [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Quote: Does ATI have a 3D set up utility? Does that work to give you 3D on the TV?

Do you have an emitter built in or is it a separate device? Was it plugged in the last time your updated the driver? I use a NVidia card and I had to have my separate emitter plugged in during the driver update or the proper driver for 3D was not loaded.

It may also be the HMDI set up.

I'm just guessing. I hope someone else has an idea.

Is there anything here that may help?
    http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/3d-support/enu/index.jsp#overview

It is built in and yes it is updated to the last driver. The link is known too me as well and I find this pretty useless information that Cyberlink offers. No offense!
    It is not the HDMI setup. I also thought that and tested a setup today with another PC with a direct HDMI out, still no glory... thanks for thinking along with me!

Quote: As well as selecting the 3D option inside the Blu-ray disc menus, make sure that you have also enabled 3D in PowerDVD itself (PowerDVD defaults to 2D output, even with 3D content). There's a "3D" button in the control strip at the bottom of the window - trying clicking this.

Thanks dude, but this is a bit like asking if I plugged in the power supply
    Yes, 3D is enabled... In the settings of the TV, in the settings of PDVD and selected as output on the blu-ray disk.

You are right about one thing I noticed as well and that is the fact that the movie is shown as an 2D (normal) movie. My TV settings LITERALLY say that 3D in modus "ON" will detect an 3D signal when the input signal is presented as 3D.
    Since it don't show 3D images I think there is no signal presented that is recognized as 3D...

and then there is this...

Hardware Support for Blu-ray™ 3D and TrueTheater™ 3D
    New 3D technologies require additional hardware to view 3D movie content:
  • HDMI 1.4 enabled 3DTV
  • check
  • Eye wear: Active shutter glasses
  • check
  • Supported Hardware: HDMI 1.4 enabled 3D TV
  • check
  • Supported Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 and AMD Radeon HD 6800 series or above
  • > FAIL (HD4850)
  • Integrated Graphics: 2nd generation Intel Core processors or above
  • check

This botters me a bit. The test I did with the Advisor software told me de graphics card I have is okay for 3D content via PDVD, this clearly shows it is not...
    Any of you guys working with a graphic card older than Cyberlink advises?

Ben Ryves [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Quote: Thanks dude, but this is a bit like asking if I plugged in the power supply
    Yes, 3D is enabled... In the settings of the TV, in the settings of PDVD and selected as output on the blu-ray disk.

You are right about one thing I noticed as well and that is the fact that the movie is shown as an 2D (normal) movie. My TV settings LITERALLY say that 3D in modus "ON" will detect an 3D signal when the input signal is presented as 3D.
    Since it don't show 3D images I think there is no signal presented that is recognized as 3D...

Sorry to insult your intelligence, I just thought I should ask as you didn't mention clicking this button to enable 3D and I would have hated it to be something as simple as that!

Quote: and then there is this...

Hardware Support for Blu-ray™ 3D and TrueTheater™ 3D
    New 3D technologies require additional hardware to view 3D movie content:
  • HDMI 1.4 enabled 3DTV
  • check
  • Eye wear: Active shutter glasses
  • check
  • Supported Hardware: HDMI 1.4 enabled 3D TV
  • check
  • Supported Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 and AMD Radeon HD 6800 series or above
  • > FAIL (HD4850)
  • Integrated Graphics: 2nd generation Intel Core processors or above
  • check

This botters me a bit. The test I did with the Advisor software told me de graphics card I have is okay for 3D content via PDVD, this clearly shows it is not...
    Any of you guys working with a graphic card older than Cyberlink advises?

I believe PowerDVD specifically requires Blu-ray 3D hardware acceleration for 3D decoding (I ended up having to upgrade my HD5770 to an HD6770, so I don't think an HD4850 will cut it). Can you plug your monitor into the integrated graphics (which seems to be a 2nd generation Intel Core CPU or later, so should support Blu-ray 3D acceleration)?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 02. 2014 15:31

eQuation [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Quote:
    Sorry to insult your intelligence, I just thought I should ask as you didn't mention clicking this button to enable 3D and I would have hated it to be something as simple as that!

I believe PowerDVD specifically requires Blu-ray 3D hardware acceleration for 3D decoding (I ended up having to upgrade my HD5770 to an HD6770, so I don't think an HD4850 will cut it). Can you plug your monitor into the integrated graphics (which seems to be a 2nd generation Intel Core CPU or later, so should support Blu-ray 3D acceleration)?

No hard feelings, I was just joking. I know those moments!

Your story about upgrading your GC is what I am afraid of... Thanks for the info on that.
    My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, should be okay right?
    Ben Ryves [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Unfortunately, I don't believe the Core 2 has integrated graphics, it's the later Core CPUs (i3/i5/i7 etc) that have integrated graphics, and PowerDVD is specifically checking for the 2nd generation of those (post-2010) - http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-2nd-generation-intel-core-processor-graphics-hd-graphics . I'm not sure why the test succeeds in your case if you've got a Core 2 Quad from 2009 or so.

I know that TotalMedia Theater has a software decoder to avoid the need for hardware decoder support, but on my 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo the resulting 3D playback was a slide show, so I can understand why PowerDVD requires the hardware support.
    eQuation [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Quote: Unfortunately, I don't believe the Core 2 has integrated graphics, it's the later Core CPUs (i3/i5/i7 etc) that have integrated graphics, and PowerDVD is specifically checking for the 2nd generation of those (post-2010) - http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-2nd-generation-intel-core-processor-graphics-hd-graphics . I'm not sure why the test succeeds in your case if you've got a Core 2 Quad from 2009 or so.

I know that TotalMedia Theater has a software decoder to avoid the need for hardware decoder support, but on my 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo the resulting 3D playback was a slide show, so I can understand why PowerDVD requires the hardware support.

Thank you Ben! Offcourse I should have checked the specs better before I bought this software. I did the BD Advisor check and thought that I could buy the product.
    I have sent an email to Cybelink so I can get a full refund. I know it is not their problem that my hardware is not up to the task, but their demo is not a full test version of Ultra (no Blu-ray (3D) playback, I wonder why that is... ) and their Advisor software is clearly a marketing tool. To be honest, I feel a bit screwed.

Thank you guys for reading along and I hope you will enjoy PDVD, it is still a nice piece of software (once it works).

Take care, bye!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2014 04:07