Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 crashing on import of Lumix G6 full hd .mp4 files
zmonk111 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 30, 2013 14:30 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. I'm an occasional user of PD9 and so far have been very pleased with the results. I am running the program in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with 4 GB of RAM. As I said, good results. Today I ran into a glitch while trying to import .mp4 files from a Panasonic Lumix G6. The clips were shot in full hd -- 1920 x 1080, 59 frames per second. Any attempt to import a single clip in this format or a group of clips causes PD9 to crash. I reinstalled PD9, and it is importing other file formats without any problems, including full hd .avchd clips. Does anybody know of a way to import full hd .mp4 files, or are they beyond the capabilities of PD9. Thanks for your help.

HB
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi. I'm an occasional user of PD9 and so far have been very pleased with the results. I am running the program in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with 4 GB of RAM. As I said, good results. Today I ran into a glitch while trying to import .mp4 files from a Panasonic Lumix G6. The clips were shot in full hd -- 1920 x 1080, 59 frames per second. Any attempt to import a single clip in this format or a group of clips causes PD9 to crash. I reinstalled PD9, and it is importing other file formats without any problems, including full hd .avchd clips. Does anybody know of a way to import full hd .mp4 files, or are they beyond the capabilities of PD9. Thanks for your help.

HB

Hi zmonk111,
PDR9 minimum requirements:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=9968&prodId=4

You don't have sufficient Ram for the minimum requirements of PDR9. The higher bitrate of the video etc etc. Even with the minimum you may still need to wait for all the shadow edit files are produced before starting to edit HD video.

Please provide a diagnostic file and members will be able to help you more.

Dafydd
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi. I'm an occasional user of PD9 and so far have been very pleased with the results. I am running the program in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with 4 GB of RAM. As I said, good results. Today I ran into a glitch while trying to import .mp4 files from a Panasonic Lumix G6. The clips were shot in full hd -- 1920 x 1080, 59 frames per second. Any attempt to import a single clip in this format or a group of clips causes PD9 to crash. I reinstalled PD9, and it is importing other file formats without any problems, including full hd .avchd clips. Does anybody know of a way to import full hd .mp4 files, or are they beyond the capabilities of PD9. Thanks for your help.

HB

HB,

If it were me I would point your Panasonic Lumix G6 and shoot a 5-10 second test clip and then upload this raw unedited footage as an attachment in your follow up post to your topic. This way others can download this sample clip of yours and see what happens. We might be able to give you feedback on whether the problem is from the camera video clips causing the problem or if it might be something localized on your PC.

If I am able to load this clip into PD9 with my current 12 Gigs of RAM, I will remove 8 Gigs to get to your current level and see if I still have the problem.

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 02. 2013 07:33

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi zmonk111 ,
I forgot to add a little bit of information to my post.

QuickTime is essential for some video (mp4's move etc) to run in PDR9 and although includes a version of QT, it isn't the latest. Update to the latest version of QT and you may be able to import the video into PDR9.

Look to upgrade to the latest PowerDirector and upgrade your computer so you can edit High Definition video with ease.

Dafydd
zmonk111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did an update on Quicktime, but the problem persists. Even trying to import a single 6-second clip causes a crash. I've attached an example. It might be a RAM issue, as I am 2 GB short of the minimum for a 64 bit system, though this has not hindered me up until now editing or producing with 1280/720 files from a Kodak zi8. Or there may be a way to convert the files without loss of quality. Again, all your attention/help is greatly appreciated. Have a good day.

HB
 Filename
P1000011.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
lumix G6 sample
 Filesize
23751 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
189 time(s)
zmonk111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, so I have upgraded to 8GB of RAM, but no change. PD9 crashes immediately, when I attempt to import any of these files. I would consider upgrading PD, but PD12 (and 11) import video formats include "iDevice/PSP MPEG-4." I couldn't find a definition of this term, but maybe it refers to MP4 files made on Apple or Apple licensed devices. The world of digital video editing is full of conflicts between software and file formats (which is bad for consumers, but good for developers of conversion programs). That appears to be the case here. I will probably try to find a decent converter program rather than spring for a PD upgrade, unless it's clear that it will accept these files. For what it's worth . . .
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi HB

First the good news, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your Lumix G6 video, in my two NLE's the clips open and play correctly, the resolution and clarity is fantastic.

I had major issues with MP4 video when I had PD9 installed which led me to eventually removing it from my computer and seeking alternative programs. The two programs that I now run in conjunction with each other do not have any issues with MP4 videos.

PD has always been my preferred editor and maybe one day I will install the latest version, however you cannot upgrade from PD9 to PD12, it being necessary to purchase the full version, which is a bit of an imposition, seeing as other NLE's allow you to upgrade from just about any previous version installed

So, you could try downloading the trial of PD12, although there might be some limitations on the file format that can be trialed with it, MP4's used to be one format that could not be used with the trial, that may have changed now.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
zmonk111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Robert. So, it looks like we're not naming names here? Okay, I was able to import the clips with another product (rhymes with "Clinical"). Unfortunately, there were playback problems which could not be resolved, so I was unable to edit. I was able to produce one long clip from the 56 clips I have in full hd (1920 x 1080) MP4 format (same as the original) with no appreciable loss of quality, and I was able to import this clip into PD9. I'll probably try some MP4 samples from the Lumix in lower resolutions; see if they work. Meanwhile, PD does accept full HD AVCHD files from the Lumix. I'll try to find another NLE program that is proven to be compatible with the Lumix full HD MP4's and/or a good quality batch video converter program -- the hoops we have to jump through. Enjoy the weekend . . .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2013 10:26