Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AMD or Intel?
[Post New]
Hi folks, I'm thinking of putting together a new system. I've heard more pros than cons for i7's but I have a tight budget.

Not having any experience with AMD cpu's, I am wondering if they will do the job in PD11 and if so which one would you recommend?

Thanks, Jerry
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
I have had very good luck with AMD cpu's

not as happy with the graphics as cross-fire never worked well with PD, so nvidia .

see signature RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I always use AMD. Just my personal preference. You can get a 6 core CPU for fairly cheap. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Having just made the switch from AMD 940 quad core to Intel, I couldn't be happier and I loved my AMD system.

The Intel 3770 and 4770 series i7 processors with 4 cores + Hyperthreading (effectively 8 cores) pull very strong in Cyberlink products. But it's a trickier decision than just processor. The Intel motherboards have massive DD3 memory bandwidth as well as PCIe 3.0 support (more bandwidth in the video card channels) along with native USB 3.0 support. On top of that, power and heat. The Intel processor TDP (dissipated power) is far lower than the AMD 8300-series processors. My CPU case runs far cooler than it used to be, which was a little heater and more expensive to run, even at idle. The mSATA drive slot right on the Intel motherboard is also sweet for a cache drive use... yes, you can use a SSD on AMD systems, but this is right on the motherboard next to the processor socket and doesn't take up space or cables.

I crunched the AMD numbers vs. Intel for a strong system and it always came down to about $100 premium for the Intel solution, basically the price difference to go for the i7 4770 processor over the AMD 8350. I also considered that the Intel 1150 socket is brand new, and should survive at least 3 more cycles of processor upgrades, not sure where AMD is going after the AM3+ socket.

AMD has just announced some newer processors than the 8350, faster clocks but serious, serious power consumption and heat, with TDP ratings near 250 (which is 3 times more power and heat than the Intel).

Anyway, on my second week with my new Intel system and it was well worth it. Powerdirector and Photodirector run fast on it, and my other photo editing software really appreciates the Intel hyperthreading cores. I've also utilized the RAMdisk function the motherboard provides to use for temp files in certain software. Hated to spend the extra Intel money, but the performance has been worth it in my case.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2013 10:15

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I have always preferred AMD's. Only the wife's new laptop out of our 7 machines has an intel chip. Had many computers and all were AMD. Mostly because they came from Frys in pieces.... The only way to get exactly what you wanted... and was usually cheaper too, back in the cave man computing days.... Mostly from the price difference. Same computing, but the AMD was cheaper.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 23. 2013 23:25

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link