Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Shadow files: Not generating?
UnlikelySalsero [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 24, 2012 12:50 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
PD10...

I started a new project and threw in about 10 1-4 minute segments in the media room.

Last time I did a similar project (a couple weeks ago), after adding the files I took a break and PD10 generated the shadow files in the background. (When I returned to editing it had most of them completed.)

This time I started trimming right away... I thought it would generate the shadow files in the background. After leaving the editor open for over 6 hours, all 10 segments still have the little icon for "shadow file generating..." This includes segments which were never added to the timeline.

Of course, trimming the segments takes more time, everything seems to run slower. I added each segment to the timeline one at a time, and trimmed each as I went.

Is there a best practice on this issue?
Only add segments as they are needed?
Does PD10 not use shadow files once their parents files are trimmed in the timeline?

Not the end of the world, but I'd like to understand why it does what does... and trimming performance is noticeably slower than my last project.

All best practices/comments welcomed.

PD 12 - 12.0.2930.0
Windows 8 (64 bit)
16 GB RAM
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If your computer is powerful enough, you can turn off the Shadow files.

If you computer is not powerful enough, you will just have to wait until the shadow files are generated before you do any editing.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

UnlikelySalsero [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: If your computer is powerful enough, you can turn off the Shadow files.

If you computer is not powerful enough, you will just have to wait until the shadow files are generated before you do any editing.

My computer is probably in the middle, it's older but was powerful in it's day.

I noticed a difference last time when I had the shadow files. It was an improvement.

My theory is once you start editing, then it doesn't create the shadow files? I was thinking it would create them for the others while I was editing the first couple segments, but it didn't work that way. (After 12 hours, still no shadows, even though I went to sleep and left PD10 open. Minimal activity on the machine for 6 hours.)

If I want them, I should throw them in the Media Room, then wait until it creates the shadows before editing?

If I want to use them, can I work on (edit/trim) segment one, and will it create the shadow for the new file I added while working or should I just wait.

Note that while working on the files, I was paying attention to the CPU utilization via the task manager. The quad cores were very quiet, mostly idling... Editing was reasonable, but I noticed some lag that I didn't on my last project. I'm guessing it's just creating temp files, so that shouldn't be CPU intensive, but just saying that for the record.

I guess my overall question is: Does editing a segment before the shadow is complete stop the shadow creation process on that segment? or on all files on the timeline, or all files in media room?

Sorry to be so specific, and I'll figure out how it works over time, but there are so many great people here with 10x the experience I have. Someone already knows how this feature works.

Any suggestions/comments welcomed.

PD 12 - 12.0.2930.0
Windows 8 (64 bit)
16 GB RAM
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Being that my computer is very fast and powerful, I never use shadow files.

So I do not know what works what does not work.

I have seen posts in the various forums that you must wait for the shadow files to generate before doing any editing.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

UnlikelySalsero [Avatar]
[Post New]
BTW - I was wrong in my guesses.

While I had done some editing, I closed PD10, and after opening it again, it started generating the shadow files in the background.

It wasn't when I reopened PD10, it was later. I was not watching it exactly, but one time after switching to the Transition Room, than going back to the Media Room, I noticed that 8 of my segments now had the shadow icon, and reads "Shadow File: ready" in the tool tip.

While writing this message, file nine changed too... So it's creating the shadow files even though I've been actively editing parts of the video I'm creating, and all 10 segments were already on the timeline, and all 10 have been trimmed.

Just want to make sure others know it will happen too, and it makes a positive difference for me. (Assuming you have that option turned on, and you're on a moderate powered machine.)

PD 12 - 12.0.2930.0
Windows 8 (64 bit)
16 GB RAM
Carl312
[Post New]
UnlikelySalsero,

It looks like you are getting things working.

And that is good information to know about the shadow files system.