Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
importing from memory stick
Judithh121 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 07, 2011 06:26 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I have transfered .avi video from desktop to laptop to edit. All is fine while I have memory stick plugged in. If I then save the project, remove the memory stick and try to re-open the project I get error message and the transferred video is black. Other tracks and effects are fine. Cane you help?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Judithh121,
The procedure for moving a project:
1. Create a NEW folder on your desktop or elsewhere
2. Open PD10 with the project displayed
3. select File>Export>Pack Project Materials> browse to/for the New Folder and select OK.
4. the contents of your Project - all media data in the Tracks has been replicated into the New folder.
5. The New Folder can now be moved anywhere and will reopened with your project displaying, just select the pds file the New Folder contains.

You appear not to have created/saved your project correctly. You may browse, when asked by PD10, for the files and locate them on your HDD.

Dafydd
Judithh121 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I've done it this way after your help before when I've tried to transfer a project I've been working with on PD10, but do I have to go this route with freshly downloaded material that I haven't done any editing with yet
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Judith -

As suggested, packing the project will, indeed, overcome your problem!

When you copied that AVI file to your USB stick & plugged it into your laptop for editing, it seems you left out one step...

Transfer the AVI file(s) directly to your laptop! (and leave it there) PD does not physically import media. It just remembers the file location. Once you unplugged your stick, PD couldn't find the AVI.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Judithh121 [Avatar]
[Post New]
NOW I understand! Thank you