Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Waveditor loads but doesn't work
Rich67 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2011 22:51 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, about 3 weeks ago, I had purchased Powereditor Ultra 9 and using it on Windows 7 64 bit with WavEditor without any issues until reciently.

Now when I click "Edit Audio" the WavEditor window starts to load then a small progress bar window opens in the top left hand part of my monitor screen for about 3 seconds then nothing happens. The WavEditor tab shows on my taskbar but when left clicked nothing happens either. I have to right click and click close to return to Powereditor.

Can anyone help me with this issue? I'm in the middle of production and must have this fixed asap.

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR! (Almost!)

~Rich
Judithh121 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 07, 2011 06:26 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I'm pretty new to this game, but had similar issue with PD9, and it turned out to be faulty disc.
Eventually took it back to the shop who replaced it and the new one has worked fine ever since.
I think you can download Wave Editor free anyway so you could just take off the one you've got and re-download another one without messing with the Cyberlink disc.
Rich67 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It worked for about 2 weeks after being uploaded from disk, so I doubt it was the disk.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rich67,
I don't know what has caused your set up to malfunction.

Have you carried out an uninstall-re-install of WaveEditor and PowerDirector 10?

Dafydd
Rich67 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, I did not re-install yet, wanted to try and avoid doing that if I could, but I will try that. I contacted the support by e-mail and they sent me a rediculous long list of steps to perform. Not having it. The system crashes often too. I'm not sure what's going on.
Rich67 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's PowerDirector 9 Ultra that I have
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, I did not re-install yet, wanted to try and avoid doing that if I could, but I will try that. I contacted the support by e-mail and they sent me a rediculous long list of steps to perform. Not having it. The system crashes often too. I'm not sure what's going on.

That last could be a clue. WaveEditor might be a victim, not a perpetrator.

Reboot your system and try to load WaveEditor directly from the Start menu, and let us know what happens. Jerry Schwartz
Rich67 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried opening the WaveEditor from start menu and same issue. I suppose I'll try to re install it all.
Rich67 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Re-installed and works!

Ok, now I have some REAL questions... when asked; "Would you like to merge your project's media library files with the current media files in your library?" What does this mean exactly?

And can anyone tell me how to "superimpose" (if that is the correct terminology of this effect) two scenes in Powdirectr Ultra 9?

Here is an example of what I'm trying to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwrYMWoqg5w
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Rich67,

The answer to your first question.

You get this message when you are changing from one project to another. It simply means, Do you want to add the media in the current project to the media in the project that you are opening. Answer yes or no depending on what you require.

To your second question. The answer is yes.

Put the background video in track 1 and the video that you want to overlay in a higher numbered track (2 for example). Select the clip on track 2 then click the modify button. In the PIP edit window click on the motion paths tab. Slide the Opacity bar to the desired level of transparency ( 0 - 100, 100 being solid).

See attached image

Hal

[Thumb - opacity.png]
 Filename
opacity.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
610 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
156 time(s)
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Rich67 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Awesome thank you so much for that info! Do you run into any issues with syncing the two videos so the music matches time with both videos, like for music video production? This can be done with photos also using Powerdirctor correct?
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Rich,

I don't work with music vidoes. I work with sports based videos. No sync problems in the work I do.

You can stretch the time line out to frame level. There is a small slider button on the bottom left of the window. Move it all the way to the right to get to frame level. Here you can move the video on frame at a time for syncing purposes.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Rich67 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Do you use Powerdirector for commercial use sports clips?

I've done a few clips with fading black to another scene... can i fade from one scene into another and control how long the fade takes like with black fade? If so would you mind explaining to me how to do this?
HalCon
[Post New]
Rich,

In the modify window you can do a lot.

For a simple fade through black to another scene use the procedure shown in the attachment. You can adjust the length of the fade by changing the indicated keyframes. You will not use a transition.

In the screenshot I have a black colorboard in track 1 and the scenes in track 2. For a fade to black you do not necessarily need the colorboard.

I have done a few commercial videos and have a couple more that I am currently working on right now. Mostly I do private highlight videos for individuals.

Hal

[Thumb - setfade.png]
 Filename
setfade.png
[Disk]
 Description
Setting fade duration
 Filesize
158 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
159 time(s)
My YouTube
Rich67 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes I did the black fade between two clips and it came out good. I'd like to also fade from one clip to another using transparency, like what you had seen in the video clip example I posted.. Have you done this?
HalCon
[Post New]
Rich,

Yes I have.

I use different track for each of the scenes I want to fade between. There is an overlap fade transition that can be used. But I generally prefer to do it manually.

I place one scene on a track and the next scene on the track below. I then line up the two scenes where I want them to overlap. Then set the fade in and out. Here is the step by step.

1 - Set the first scene on track 1
2 - Set the next scene on track 2 near the end of scene 1. Extend the time line to get the timing correct. I like a transitiion about 1 second so I place the scene 2, 30 frames before the end of scene 1. You set your own timing here.
3 - Select the first scene and set it to fade out. See my previous post Click OK
4 - Select scene 2 and set it to fade in. Click OK
5 - Right click the tracks and set track height to medium or large. You will see the keyframes that were set in the modify window.
6 - For scene 1, adjust the fade start keyframe to match the start of scene 2.
7 - for scene 2, adjust the fade in finish to match the end of scene 1.

See attachement. With the clip selected your mouse pointer turns into a little hand when you hover over the clip. When you move over the keyframe dots the small hand becomes a pointer with a red dot. Click and hold to move the dots.

This will give you a fade from one scene to the next that you have complete control over. You place the following scenes on alternating tracks.

Hal
[Thumb - setfadekeyframe.png]
 Filename
setfadekeyframe.png
[Disk]
 Description
Setting fade keyframes
 Filesize
158 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
160 time(s)
My YouTube
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry Rich67 about the PD10 reference earlier. I did that in two posts I answered on the PD9 forum. The info I gave would have been the same

Thank you Hal and Jerry for taking over, I must have had New Year blues .

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2012 09:24

Rich67 [Avatar]
[Post New]
All good Dafydd. I appeciate how helpful you guys gave been!!!

~Rich
Rich67 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Hal,

Is there a way to be able to change the amount of transparency in a clip so when the two clips are played back the second overlaying clip will kinda fade in and out over the background clip?

Sorta like automation on a recording console in a studio; you can fade an audio track in and out within a song then set the automation to remember the fades so when you play the tracks back it happens automatically just as you did it the first time. Can PowerEditor do something like that? :
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Absolutely.

Look carefully at your second (upper layer) clip, and you'll see there's a horizontal line in it. I you put your mouse over that line, you can drag it up and down. That changes the transparency of the entire clip.

If you want more dynamic effects, put the scrubber somewhere inside the clip and click on the "keyframe" button. That will open a window in which you can muck with all kinds of things: transparency, color balance, and so on. The keyframes show up as little balls on that horizontal line, and you can drag them around to change your results.

If you want to get fancier, though, you'll need to work in the keyframe window. You'll notice that there are three categories: Fix/Enhance, Effect, and Clip Attributes. Next to each one will be one or more bands. Each band corresponds to a set of keyframes that will affect the adjustments on the left.

In the "Fix/Enhance" category, there is one band (set of keyframes) for each adjustment.

In the "Effect" category, the number of bands depends upon the number of effects you are using and the number of adjustments each effect allows.

In the "Clip Attributes" there's only one band of keyframes, shared by all of the adjustments.

If the clip has audio, you can adjust its volume in this window. You can also do this directly in the timeline, but this way makes it easier to coordinate what you're doing in the audio and video.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 11. 2012 22:23

Jerry Schwartz