Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What is the purpose of the option to 'Create a folder'?
[Post New]
In the Final Output dialog when burning a DVD, there is an option called 'Create a folder'. Does anyone know what the purpose of this option is?

It seems logical to expect that the purpose is to store off the DVD image so that if you later want to create another DVD, you can speed up the process by avoiding the authoring step and go right to the burning step. However, I have tried creating another DVD of the same image, and I do not see a way to use the pre-authored image stored in the folder. It always performs the lengthy authoring step!

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
When you create a DVD folder, it is essentially the group of folders/files that you would find if you browsed a DVD.
Sometimes, just creating the folder, rather than the actual disc, can alleviate some of the stress/issues associated with burning.
That new folder can now be burned to a DVD in any most any disc-burning software.
PD cannot utilize DVD folders, it can only create them.
But...within those folders are the actual menu and video files, if you extract those, they can be used in PD.
Those particular files are VOB files.
Now, even though PD can use those vobs, they are not the best format to edit in, they don't seem to function well for some reason. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
I am familiar with the files that are created in the folder, but I think it is a significant shortcoming of PD that it does not take advantage of this data. What an opportunity lost.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
PD can use the video data, but not in folder form.
Nothing lost.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The purpose of the Disk Folder to two fold, one, you can burn multiple disks from it with disk burning software.

Second, it take less work for the computer to create a folder only, rather that create all of the data then burn the disk.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote: PD can use the video data, but not in folder form.
Nothing lost.

Quote: The purpose of the Disk Folder to two fold, one, you can burn multiple disks from it with disk burning software.

But that is exactly the opportunity that is lost in PD. The developers give you the ability to store the data, but they don't take advantage of it by allowing you to come in later and use this data to create more discs. I understand that you can use separate burning software to create discs, but what an opportunity lost -- the opportunity to make it easier on the user to create discs without re-authoring each time -- without the need for separate burning software! This is basic funtionality in Pinnacle Studio.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2011 13:34

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
But that is exactly the opportunity that is lost in PD. The developers give you the ability to store the data, but they don't take advantage of it by allowing you to come in later and use this data to create more discs. I understand that you can use separate burning software to create discs, but what an opportunity lost -- the opportunity to make it easier on the user to create discs without re-authoring each time -- without the need for separate burning software! This is basic funtionality in Pinnacle Studio.

You do not have to re-author, just burn the folder to a disk. Even Windows has disk burning capability. Not very good but you can burn a data DVD.

Cyberlink is not overlooking the opportunity. Cyberlink sells Power2GO.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/power2go/overview_en_US.html?&r=1

Power2go is Cyberlink's disk burning software.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2011 14:45

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote: You do not have to re-author, just burn the folder to a disk. Even Windows has disk burning capability. Not very good but you can burn a data DVD. Cyberlink is not overlooking the opportunity. Cyberlink sells Power2GO.

I disagree. If I want to use PD, then I have to re-author because PD will not use the folder that it created. Otherwise, my options are to use the admittedly "not very good" Windows software or pay $44.95 for Power2Go. You have to be joking.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: You do not have to re-author, just burn the folder to a disk. Even Windows has disk burning capability. Not very good but you can burn a data DVD. Cyberlink is not overlooking the opportunity. Cyberlink sells Power2GO.

I disagree. If I want to use PD, then I have to re-author because PD will not use the folder that it created. Otherwise, my options are to use the admittedly "not very good" Windows software or pay $44.95 for Power2Go. You have to be joking.

You don't know about the free ImgBurn? Search for it.

That is not the only disk burning software. I use Nero, sure it is a commercial program and I paid money for it.

I have been using Disk Burning software for many years, Nero is far better than most of the other disk authoring software around.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2011 08:18

[Post New]
Carl312, you are completely missing the point. I do not want to use separate software to do my disc burning. It doesn't matter how good it is or whether or not I get it for free. It is absolutely unacceptable that PD cannot burn a disc from the folder that it created. It's just plain stupid.
[Post New]
Bizly;

Quote: It is absolutely unacceptable that PD cannot burn a disc from the folder that it created. It's just plain stupid.

Remember what Forrest Gump said about STUPID!!

PD is NOT a disk duplication program, but DOES burn disks from within the program.

The burn to folder option is designed to save your production in a format that is standard for media creation. So you can create the set of files and folders necessary to create disks when you may not have a NEED to make the disk RIGHT NOW.

Most commercial programs that burn to disk create a set of folders that you can use free (like imgburn or Windows internal) programs to make copies later. To expect a Video Editing Program to act as a Media Duplication Program may be where you are in error.

Just saying!!!

Is this really THAT important an issue???

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 13. 2011 10:11

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Personally... I NEVER use PD to burn a disk. I ALWAYS save to folder. PD has always taken way to long to burn a disk if you can get it to burn without crashing.

For me they could take the burning options completely out and wouldn't bother me any....

I use CD Burner XP Pro to burn and Windows Movie maker to make any DVD with menues ONLY because it has the menu I like the best....... I seldom need a "menu"with any of my projects, most people don't care about menus anyway when they want to watch your video....

Burning from folder....

Burning a DVD PD10 (or all other previous versions) + S L O W unpredictable burn
Burning a DVD with CDburner XP Pro + fast burn (couple of minutes at most) and never fails....

I doubt if PD will ever have a burn form folder option and if it did I wouldn't trust it either... really not needed. If you burn your project to DVD, just use CDburner XP Pro to "copy" your DVD.. it a LOT faster... or your favorite fast burning software.

I normally have to burn between 50 and 300 DVD's for my projects.... you gotta be nuts if you want to use PD to burn all of them...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2011 11:05

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Quote: ...Is this really THAT important an issue???

It is for someone like me who only creates a single disc upon request and who thinks it's ridiculous to have to use separate software to burn to disc. I mean, c'mon, if PD didn't want you to use it to create a disc, then why give you the option in the first place? I understand the performance issue, but for me, it's not an issue because, as I said, I only create a single disc at a time. The bigger issue for me is having to wait through the re-authoring phase.

By the way, don't misunderstand my reaction to all this. It's not like I am pulling my hair out. I am thankful for the discussion because, otherwise, I would have had no idea why PD works this way. I appreciate everybody's responses.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bizily
PowerDirector is a Video Editing program which can burn to disc and write/create to a folder.

If you want to write a data disc from the information in a folder and which is present on your PC's HDD, you will require a disc writing program.

If you wish to make a suggestion for future builds of PD then please contact CyberLink support: http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

The discussion here appears to be going around in circles and not getting anywhere fast!

Forum Moderator.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2011 12:41

[Post New]
Quote: The discussion here appears to be going around in circles and not getting anywhere fast!

I agree that the discussion went around in circles for a while, but I think we eventually got to a common understanding. Initially, I was concerned that maybe I was doing something wrong, but the discussion allowed me to realize the intent of the software -- even though I am not happy about. I will take your suggestion and request this for a future build.
nayan007 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 05, 2011 22:50 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
It is to save the burning program in the folder and kept it to burn in later time !! Love Cyber-Link !!