Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Poor DVD Video Quality
[Post New]
The video quality of my produced DVDs is very poor when compared to DVDs created using Pinnacle Studio. For example, the court lines of a basketball game are jagged; whereas in PS, the court lines are smooth. Also, the aspect ratio looks off - like the players are too tall and skinny.

My source video is H.264 (.mts) imported from a Canon Vixia HFS100.

There are only two settings in the PowerDirector 2D Disc page, so not much to get wrong. I have the video recording format set to "Widescreen (16:9)" and the encoding format and quality set to "HQ - Best Quality".

I doubt that this matters, but in the drive settings, the recording speed is set to 48.0, which is the maximum.

One strange thing is that on my DVD player menu, the aspect ratio says 4:3. But it won't let me change it. It's as if the setting is read-only and it's just reporting what it sees. I don't know why this is, but even when I play the DVD back on my computer using the VLC player, the quality is poor.

Any ideas?
[Post New]
Based on the lack of response, there is probably not much interest in this topic, but I thought I would add some recent findings anyway.

I tried the DVD on an XBox 360 and the difference was night-and-day. The video quality from the XBox 360 was very good -- exactly what I would expect from a DVD. Not sure why the video quality from the Panasonic DVD player was so poor, but at least I know it's not the DVD (or PD).

Of course, the TVs are different too, but they are both Pioneer plasmas, so I wouldn't expect too much difference there. Plus the XBox is connected to the older TV, so I would expect the newer TV to have better video quality and, yet, the Panasonic player connected to the newer TV was worse.

So it appears to be a problem with the Panasonic DVD player. Not sure what, though, because it plays movie DVDs quite nicely.