Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to create a "category" menu structure?
[Post New]
It seems no matter what template I use, I always get two items on my main menu: "Play" and "Scenes". (Kind of strange, since the template has 3 main-menu items: "Item 1", "Item 2", and "Item 3". So what happened to "Item 3"?)

When I click "Play", it launches the movie; and when I click "Scenes" it navigates to a submenu with multiple buttons for each chapter in the movie. I was also able to create a structure where when I click "Scenes" it navigates to a submenu with multiple buttons to launch a different movie.

What I really want is a main menu with multiple buttons to navigate to a different submenu. Then each submenu with multiple buttons to launch a different movie. (I don't really have a need for chapters in each movie.) The idea is that from the main menu you select a category menu and within the category menu you select a movie.

Anyone know how to create a menu structure like this?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2011 19:21

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Apparently it cannot be done. Jerry Schwartz
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You can get pretty close to what you want I think. You really need to get in a play around with the menu system; it is by no means very self explanatory. Read through a few of my posts on the menu to get you going.

This link http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7497.page#30399 and contained pic describe a great deal of the menu structure.

This link http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13628.page#64241 and contained pic is very similar to what you want to do.

Play around, the only part you really can't do is the very first page will always contain "play" and "scene" menu. Keep in mind you can hide the "play" menu font if you wish, discussed here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14271.page#67690

Jeff
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
Item 3 on the main menu is reserved for a link to the Subtitles menu. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
[Post New]
Quote: Item 3 on the main menu is reserved for a link to the Subtitles menu.

Please help me understand. What exactly are Subtitles and how do I create them? I assume they are not chapters. So what are they exactly?
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Item 3 on the main menu is reserved for a link to the Subtitles menu.

Please help me understand. What exactly are Subtitles and how do I create them? I assume they are not chapters. So what are they exactly?

Subtitles are text that appears at the bottom of the screen as your video plays. They're not the same as closed captioning; they are like the translation that might appear on a foreign-language movie. Jerry Schwartz
[Post New]
Quote: Subtitles are text that appears at the bottom of the screen as your video plays. They're not the same as closed captioning; they are like the translation that might appear on a foreign-language movie.

I understand subtitles as text, but I assumed they took on a new meaning relative to menus. Are subtitle as text the same as subtitles used by menus? If so, then I'm really confused. I understand the need for menu buttons for chapters and titles, but why would I want a menu button for subtitles? When the button is clicked, the movie goes to the location where the subtitle exists? Strange.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
If I can just add that Subtitles come in two options.
1. Those that display permanently on the video and
2. Create subtitles for discs

3. In the Edit Workspace select on the left the Subtitle Room
4. Bottom left in the Subtitle's Room "Select Subtitle Type".
5. In the pop up read the choices available.

Dafydd
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
Here's a tutorial by Dafydd on creating Subtitles: http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/tutorial/#16%2012%201%202_-1_5

You'll need to create a Director Zone account to view the tutorials.

The "Subtitles" menu button on the main menu will take you to another menu page where you can turn the subtitles on and off. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.