Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
END of Future PD9 updates?
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Fred,

I have never said that CyberLink produce crappy software, in fact PDR9 is my preferred video editor, and I have and use many other CyberLink products.
What we all want is a stable product, that can be used without constantly falling over when completing large complex projects.
On that point CyberLink are in complete agreement and are working hard on providing a stable product.

Robert

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone ever tried applying a patch from a later version of PD to an earlier version of PD? Someone here said that PD10 is almost identical to PD9. So, I'm wondering if we can download the just-released PD10 patch and apply it to the PD9 program? In theory, it should work, since PD9 and PD10 are almost identical.

I'm asking about the potential of this working, here in the forum, before deciding whether or not to give it a try.
Thanks in advance for any feedback and/or advice!

-AC
Tomas G77
Member Location: Ayrshire Joined: Jun 13, 2008 08:54 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Hi FredB
I disagree with ur statement ( Cyberlink may not Communicate well (or in our particular chosen language)...but they ARE fixing the problems..lighten up!! )

They are CERTAINLY NOT FIXING PROBLEMS WITHIN PD9 AND YOU KNOW THERE WILL BE NO MORE UPDATES FOR PD9
PD10 SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN UPGRADE.
IF USERS OF PD9 ARE NOT INTO 3D THERE IS NO POINT IN GIVING CYBERLINK THER HARD EARNED MONIES ]FOR PD10 IT HAS ALMOST ALL THE SAME BUGS,
OK ONE OR TWO FIXES BUT MOSTLEY THE SAME BUGGY PROGRAM
Tomthumb

Thomas G
I'm a 33yr old trapped in a 69yr old body
[Post New]
Tomthumb777;
- There were MANY bug fixes in PD9....MANY!!
- Most program developers reduce frequency or discontinue the release of patches to older programs as new versions are released
- I already agreed with you that the PD9 to PD10 "grace period" should have been extended
- There are MANY new fixes (and features) in PD10 that were not accomplished in the PD9 timeframe
-STOP YELLING AT ME, PLEASE!!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2011 14:43

TexasCityDave#1
Newbie Location: Southeast TX Joined: Aug 08, 2011 22:58 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
It's all good Robert. Actually I did get your point. I was just trying to round it off a little.

There are so many variables involving software. And no two computers behave exactly the same. Using brands of automobiles as an example is fine, but we're not just using the automobile. We're having to interface it to work along with something else.

But I do appreciate your attempt to possibly make PD9 better. I in no way was trying to rile you. Sometimes I try to make light of things and keep life like me; simple. I would like to see some of your video editing sometime. Cheers TCDave WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT [SP1]
ASUS P8P67LE MB
Intel Ci7 2600K 3.40 Ghz
2X 8GB 1600Mhz Dual BL
2X EVGA GTX460 1GB SC
120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
2X 1TB WD10000 SRTL Caviar Black
PD 9 Ultra 64
LG-12X Blu-Ray
Cameras: Canon 7D, Canon HF S21
Tomas G77
[Post New]
hi FredB
first let me say sorry for yelling at u it just gets so frustrating ,
There were MANY bugs NOTFIXEDin PD9....MANY!! infact all Cyberlink has done is improved the 3d and added a few xtras
then clalled it PD10,
as u can see from the PD10 forum it is not taken long for the bug reports to flood in
I just hate to see Cyberlink users being RIPPED OFF (sorry shouting again)

People work hard for there monies they don't want to be beta testers for Cyberlink,
PD10 has hardley been out a week to the general public and they have had to bring out a patch already that speaks
VOLUMES,
FROM WHAT I see they will need an other patch next week to repair the rest of the bugs
ANYONE thinking about moving to PD10 should download the 30 day trial they will see the bugs at first hand

also I have been doing programming for sum 20yrs and what I see is Sloppy work from programmers
anyway I have had my rant no point in going on just have to wait until PD11 comes out next year
it is a shame they are
not interested in the customers,
and Fred sorry again for shouting all the above is my opinion some may agree some may not
Tomthumb
Thomas G
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Reading all the information you provided in this post and the responses in my post PD10 (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19687.page), I get the following conclusion:

1. No reason to be shouting at each other. It is very simple. PD10 remains a PD9, but to integrate the new 3D feature, CL had no choice but to create a new version, to be distinguishable from each other.

2. For PD9 users, it is better to upgrade to PD10 and not spend for the full package. Having the PD9 and PD10 on the same computer is redundant and upgrading is cheaper.

My only recommendation to CL would be to reassure users of PD9, that installing PD10, it's like having a new patch of PD9, but having 3D makes peculiarly different, so they had to call it PD10 and the cost research a development of 3D, its what you are paying for the upgrade. Who does not like 3D, do not use it (for now).

Upgrade and move on, or get anchored where you are! (K'ung-fu-tzu)
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
All software vendors have copied the very successful Microsoft model of upgrading their software, hyping it as "better" and charging for it at the same time (remember the previous version of Windows ?). One cannot fault CL for that. However, buyer beware is always a good motto. If you're willing to have frustrations go for the "new" version. If you want something that works reasonably well use the previous version. PD8 was a pig when it came out but turned into a workhorse prior to PD9. Nearly the same scenario is true of PD9, albeit with more outstanding issues due to it's 64 bit architecture and speed. Win 10, i7
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
There is a very good reason why companies taper off (or completely drop) support for older versions of their products: some of them learned the hard way that supporting discontinued products can suck them dry.

Ever heard of SDS (Scientific Data Systems)? Probably not. They were known for taking very good care of their existing products and customers. Unfortunately that came at the expense of developing new products and acquiring new customers.

Like it or not, the computer business is an arms race and devil take the hindmost. Jerry Schwartz
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: There is a very good reason why companies taper off (or completely drop) support for older versions of their products: some of them learned the hard way that supporting discontinued products can suck them dry.

Ever heard of SDS (Scientific Data Systems)? Probably not. They were known for taking very good care of their existing products and customers. Unfortunately that came at the expense of developing new products and acquiring new customers.

Like it or not, the computer business is an arms race and devil take the hindmost.

It appears that cellphones are the same way. My once cutting-edge Samsung Epic-4G is now obsolete just 18 months after it was introduced. No more software updates...probably for the same reason. It's also likely that Samsung does not want customers to hang on to a phone. They only make money when we buy a new one.
-ac
ELIZABETH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 27, 2011 19:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought Cyberlink Wave Editor and Power Direct 9 Delux at the end of August. I've posted 12 videos and now it won't work. I've done all the patch work and still it doesn't work. I'm UPSET! I'll NOT upgrade to PD10 unless it's FREE! I was very happy when it was working, but the feeling was short lived. I paid for customer support service and NEVER got a response to my questions.

By the way... I was able to upload the video with another program so it's NOT the video! Shame on you Cyberlink!
Tomas G77
[Post New]
Hi Elizabeth

I agree with you Cyberlink PD10 should be a FREE upgrade to existing PD9 users ( WHY ) BECAUSE they left
hundreds if not thousands of users with PD9 which is still full of bugs, and these users will NOT GET ANYMORE UPDATES
FOR PD9.
Anyone waiting for an update for PD9 will have a long wait till PD11 comes out and from what I can see PD10 is full of the same bugs just read the forum,
even the update they have brought out for PD10 is screwing peoples system up,
some of these users are being asked to reformat there P.C.system to try and get the patch working,
it is problem after problem with PD10
I would wait before purchasing this software untill Cyberlink get there act together and bring out
a patch that works ,and I mean that also works for the users whom bought the upgrade version of PD10
but as I said before Cyberlink want you'r money NOT UR LOYALTY time will tell????????

Tomthumb Thomas G
ELIZABETH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 27, 2011 19:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I posted the same message on their Facebook page and it was deleted! They had the audacity to ask me if I logged into my Google account and YouTube. I've uploaded 12 videos successfully. Of course, I did that! It's the program. I think everyone should post messages on their FB page and Twitter! They can't delete all of them at once. And the only reason I purchased this program was because it was listed as being one of the best. Well, if they keep deleting comments from people, it's no wonder it looks like they are one of the best.
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Elizabeth,

the roads of business are wined, curved.
The consepts of honesty and trust are hard to find these days.
I am sure you are familiar with "not everything you read in the papers are true".

If your PD doesn't work now,
post here descriptions of the trouble you have
and maybe someone in here can help you.

Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
TexasCityDave#1
Newbie Location: Southeast TX Joined: Aug 08, 2011 22:58 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
Ms. Nina put took the comment that I was going to post and professionalized it.

Your rant may have made you feel a little better, but if you post some details and your computer specs, someone more than likely get you back to editing. WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT [SP1]
ASUS P8P67LE MB
Intel Ci7 2600K 3.40 Ghz
2X 8GB 1600Mhz Dual BL
2X EVGA GTX460 1GB SC
120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
2X 1TB WD10000 SRTL Caviar Black
PD 9 Ultra 64
LG-12X Blu-Ray
Cameras: Canon 7D, Canon HF S21