Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Scrolling End Credits Juddering
StephanieNZ
Member Location: New Zealand Joined: Feb 01, 2011 19:20 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
I'm hoping that this is the right place to post this ? I've done a search and didn't come up with anything similar, soo..

I've created a slideshow movie and added scrolling credits at the end using the default end credits title 'ending credits 001'. I formatted the credits in the designer and it all looked good. I also produced the movie in 16.9.

Anyway, the problem is that the credits judder when scrolling upwards and no matter what I do I cannot stop them juddering. I even tried downloading a higher rated ending credits from DirectorZone and re-did it all and the end result was the same. Viewing the credits full screen seems to make it worse.

Soo, I just finished the movie and uploaded to youtube anyway as I had spent nearly 2 whole days just on the ending credits and that was totally frustrating.

But I'd like to rectify the problem so that my future movie's ending credits run smoothe.

I suspect this 'may' be a user problem and maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

Does anyone here have any ideas / suggestions ?

Regards,

Stephanie.

Windows XP with SP3
Pentium Dual Core 2.8 Ghz CPU
3Gigs RAM Just Love What You Do !
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know if I have used scrolling end credits on 16:9 video, I don't remember doing it.

I have used scrolling credits and they have been a smooth scroll.

I usually put them on a black or colored color-board rather than on top of video.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2011 19:43

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

StephanieNZ
[Post New]
I must admit I've alot to learn and I don't know anything about color boards but I've just been over to the forums in DirectorZone and there was a thread about scrolling credits and 2 videos by PDToots which were extremely helpful and I now know a bit more.

But I still don't know what I did wrong but I will surely try a new method with credits.

Thanks for your input Carl.

Stephanie. Just Love What You Do !
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have never used the scrolling title, but I do scroll an image from bottom to top for credits and I get the same thing. I don't remember it happening in PD8, but that has been a while, so I may be wrong. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stephanie

I use Scrolling credits a fair bit and on slideshows too.

I seem to recall I use to have this problem as well - the 'workaround' is to:

1. Create your slideshow - DO NOT ADD CREDITS.

2. Produce your slideshow - I use the HD MPEG2 format.

3. Import this produced file into a 'cleared' storyboard - then add your credits and produce again using the same format.

Let us know how you go. Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Hi Jaime-esque, on one hand it's good to know others have the same problem but on the other I do wonder what caused it in the first place. Another PD9 mystery ?

Hi Neil and once again, good to hear I'm not alone with juddering credits and I will test your above procedure out.
I've never used the MPEG2 setting so it will be interesting to see what happens.
I've always used the MPEG4 setting. Don't know why, but I just do.

Anyway, I will pop back in and share results when it's done.

Many Thanks,

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stephanie

My tip relates to producing the slideshow FIRST then using this PRODUCED file in the storyboard THEN adding the credits and PRODUCING again.

Hope this clarifies it Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Hi Neil, Its late and I'm tired so heres my update.

I rendered the slideshow minus credits in the Mpeg 2 HD that you suggested and did it in 1080 although I had a feeling 720 might have been better for this pc. When it had finished it was 800 Mbs and although it played it lumbered and was slow and disjointed between photo changes and transitions. ( Will try again your rendering without credits tomorrow )

I have the same problem with rendering in MPEG4 and 'Best Quality' as it seems to be far too big and lumbery for my pc playback so I use MPEG4 High Quality and that is fine.

I thought at this point I might mention the fact that when I place the mouse 'over' the ending credits box on the timeline that judders scrolling up the 'dialogue box' that highlights to tell you the contents of the box come up and in this case the whole dialogue highlight box from the mouse 'pulsates' about twice per second whilst the other ending credit test boxes do not pulsate. they are just static as long as the mouse hovers over the ending credits title. Soo, I'm suspecting that the pulsating is, in this instance, a clue to this little mystery .

The reason being that when I typed out the original 'ending credits001' I actually put in the spaces manually by pressing enter on the keyboard and in my case I pressed 4 times each between lines on the scroll. Soo, it was quite long although there were no extra spacers in the text as I checked that beforehand and took out what there was.

Anyhow I decided to create a new ending credits box and put some text in their and it was fine with the rolling.
Soo, I opened up the original slideshow and opened up the credits box in the designer box. However, this time, rather than manually punch 4 enters into each line on the credits I used the preset spaces at the top of the designer box and spaced out each seperate line of the credits to a max of 72. And when I pressed play the credits were going the same speed as my juddery original but when I checked the spacing with setting 72 I found that the lines were only a mere one 'enter' space apart rather than the original 'manual' 4. Soo, I'm kinda wondering if the judderyness came from too many manual 'enters' of the keyboard or something like that...Maybe.

Anyway, tomorrow I will create a new test slideshow WITHOUT putting manual 'enter' spaces in the credits text and just use the provided settings at the top of the design box and see what happens.

And talking of 'Producing' slideshows and movies for the computer and also youtube what settings here do other members use ?

I find that the highest quality settings are just too much for my computer or the media players I use ? But MPEG 4 High Quality is a good setting for me.

I'll be trialling out Neil's MPEG 2 HD tomorrow but the 1080 setting is just too big and clumsy on my machine.

and I run Windows XP SP3, 3 Gigs RAM, Pentium 2.8 Ghz Dual Core CPU, Intel Graphics

Okay, I'm shutting down for the night.

Many thanks to contributors here.

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stephanie: I am wondering if you could attach a dxdiag of your computer (START MENU, Run, dxdiag, Save, attach to post). You might be running into computer resource issues with HD output.

I have been using scrolling credits without a hitch on SD DVD HQ setting to .mpeg2 (source video = .mpeg2) captured from Hi8 camcorder tape and VHS tapes. There is usually a shudder in the preview window when the credits engage, but there is no such judder on the PRODUCED .mpeg2 file.

Like Carl, I do not put my credits over video, but rather usually over a SNAPSHOT stationary image (.jpeg or .bmp) captured from the video or a photo scanned in. I also add a .wav soundtrack and all has gone well for many months. That's just my "style" - I don't do it that way because I had a problem with scrolling credits over video - I just have never tried it because I don't like the look of it much.

I have been doing two or three one-hour videos a week for six months without problems. You might try just PRODUCING your ending scrolling credits and then checking how the produced file plays in Windows Media Player to see if the judder persists. The more complex your timeline (project), the more taxed are the resources on your computer.

Hope this helps a little. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Hi Phil and sorry for not getting back sooner but thanks for all your info and suggestions.

I can 'produce' any movie to any standard with no problem, it's just that if I Produce for instance MPEG4 "Best Quality" or MPEG2 HD 1080 which makes the file size huge and then it's the play back on PD9 or VLC or anything I've got that has it lumbering and going slow with transitions in places. But I can 'Produce' MPEG4 HQ Quality or even standard quality and that looks and runs perfect.

So I'm not sure about the computer resource issue with my PC. I know it's not new and not top of the range or anything but it is a Pentium Dual Core 2.8 Ghz CPU and I have 3Gigs RAM as that is the maximum XP will deliver despite me physically having 4 Gigs RAM in. And I can't afford an upgrade so I have to cope with what I've got. I've never had any 'running out of resources' issues and can quite happily run all sorts of programs at the same time but it's just that 'playback' with the very highest quality setting on PD9. ie: MPEG4-Best Quality and MPEG2 HD 1080.

Perhaps its a user issue !! and I'd be first to raise my hand there !

Anyway, I've attached my dxdiag as you requested Phil but as I said I can 'Produce' movies in PD9 to any standard, it's just the play back in the 2 settings above which lumber.

I'll try and find time over the rest of the weekend to try out your methods with scrolling credits.

And many thanks.

Stephanie.
 Filename
DxDiag 16-04-11-Stephanie.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DXDIAG for Stephanie's PC
 Filesize
51 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
471 time(s)
Just Love What You Do !
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Your video driver is nearly 2 years old plus you are using an on board chip set, not a dedicated video card, which makes video editing difficult, especially when you start getting complicated or using full HD video.

I don't know where to update your video driver but I would do this as a first step. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
CubbyHouseFilms
[Post New]
Hi Stephanie

Your computer and probably monitor would 'struggle' with MPEG2 HD 1920x1080 files.

If you only intend to play on your computer use the MPEG2 DVD HQ profile.

When you try this profile:

1. Does the juddering stop?

2. If not, burn to DVD and watch via a DVD player to see the results as your computer could be giving you 'false' info.

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Your computer and probably monitor would 'struggle' with MPEG2 HD 1920x1080 files.

Her computer sounds roughly similar to mine. Oddly enough, mine has no trouble at all with MPEG 2 HD 1080, but will not play AVCHD 1080. That could also be influenced by the graphics card, I suppose.
2. If not, burn to DVD and watch via a DVD player to see the results as your computer could be giving you 'false' info.

That's a very good point. I don't have a stand alone player anymore, but I have seen times when one player had poor quality, but a different player was perfect. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Hi Robert, as I said it isn't a new computer but isn't extremely old. I have in the past looked for updated drivers earlier this year and made problems worse and ended up totally reinstalling windows so I'm kinda leaving things as they are for the now until such time as I can afford an upgrade to a sleeker model. If I remember rightly there were 'No' driver updates on the Intel site for my pc, 'Only' for windows 7 LAN.

For me then I don't use the programs I have in a professional manner and I just like to enjoy myself and have fun in whatever I do. I totally love my pc music and love 'tinkering' with video editing software. I don't have any pc issues as such with producing PD9 movies in HQ or Standard and I'm convinced the scrolling credits judder issue is a user issue rather than a pc issue and I'm sure when I've tried all that has been suggested it will come right.

Soo, with regards to the original question, that being scrolling credits, I'll try various methods as has been suggested here and over @ DirectorZone.

And thanks Phil, I will try what you suggest this afternoon and return later.

Thanks to all.

Stephanie Just Love What You Do !
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Hi Robert, I went to Intel and used their driver auto detect system which wasn't available last time I looked and there was indeed an updated graphics driver so I'm currently downloading and installing that.

There were no other Intel updates except this one.

Hoping this update may help the PD9 crusade !

Many thanks for the tip.

Stephanie.

description of the driver update.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19412 Just Love What You Do !
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Good News !

Updating my graphics drivers didn't make any difference to the credits judder so I decided to use a different Title Effect and I ditched the Scrolling End Credits one and used the Default chequered Title and typed in all my end credit information then selected scroll up and Hey Presto the ending crdits played perfectly with no judder whatsoever in Fullscreen, Half Screen or small screen, it was all continuously sweet !

I'm soo pleased and can now concentrate on getting to know the program better. (Actually, I learn't a few things extra about PD9 just by trying to solve this problem, amazing ! )

Anyway, thanks heaps to everyone with their suggestions and assistance.