Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
My Program Crashes On Starting
Azmanar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 13, 2011 08:04 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I bought PD9 3 days ago. Until today, I have failed to even start PD.

It crashes with Windows Message - Power Director Stopped Working.

So I updated with patch for my PD build 2702.

I have redownload, uninstalled, reinstalled and use CL as suggested by David. I don't give up easily and have tried reinstalling 8 times.

Downloaded with and without Anti-Virus. Reinstalled with and without Anti-Virus. Tried to start PD with and without Anti-Virus.

Defragged my HDD. Wiped empty spaces clean.

Still........... nothing works to start PD.

My hardware is Sony Vaio VGN-NS25G_S. 2Ghz, Duo Core CPU, 2Gig Mem, have 60gig space left on HDD.

Did I buy the wrong product?
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
341 time(s)
[Thumb - Error-Log.jpg]
 Filename
Error-Log.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Error Log ScreenShot
 Filesize
63 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
203 time(s)
[Thumb - ErrorMessage-PowerDirectorStoppedWorking.jpg]
 Filename
ErrorMessage-PowerDirectorStoppedWorking.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Error Message ScreenShot
 Filesize
20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
194 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 13. 2011 10:45

Fast-Tracking Content Development
www.azman.asia
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Azmanar: Sorry to hear about your problems with PD9. From reading your dxdiag report, it looks like your laptop is a little underpowered for PD9. If you have access to a more powerful computer, try installing on that computer and see if PD9 will launch. PD9 is also very fussy about up-to-date drivers and codecs. Make sure you've got everything updated, including QuickTime, to the latest and greatest.

Let us know how you make out. We all want to get you up and running.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Azmanar,

Your PC is well below the requirements for DVD editing. HD editinf is out of the question.

Please look at the specs required :

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_US.html Win 10, i7
Azmanar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 13, 2011 08:04 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the tip.

PD9 is so enticing that I opted for it. My mistake for not checking the req specs further.

Been doing lots of things with my handy laptop for the past year. With PD9, I plan to do more.

Guess its time to upgrade some hardware.

Hi HDEdit,

Thanks for the heads-up. I was thinking along that line but not so soon. Now I know my hardware limitations.

So far my projects are for youtube & similar channels, trainings, seminars and presentations. Not into DVD distribution yet.

The tonnes of video effects in PD9 attracted me to it.

Well guys. The best thing is, I found myself to be among good people by being in this forum.

Thanks again guys. Fast-Tracking Content Development
www.azman.asia
StephanieNZ
Member Location: New Zealand Joined: Feb 01, 2011 19:20 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
I was looking for a thread with this problem of crashing and here we are..

For quite some time my PD9 has 'sometimes' crashed at the splash screen when opening the program. I then get the windows error box and do i want to send a dx to microsoft.

However, it has 'always' booted up on the 2nd attempt and it will do it when i'm really busy using stacks of ram or even when nothing else is open.

And strangely, when it crashes on that first attempt it always knocks out my sounds volume control in the system tray. ie, it goes from full to off when PD9 crashes and sometimes i forget and then wonder why there's no sound on the pc !

Soo, although it's not a biggy at the moment I'm always wondering what happens if it fails to open on the 2nd attempt !

It's just that PD9 did it just now and I'm wondering if there is any similarity with the OP ?

Stephanie.

Windows XP sp3
Pentium Dual Core CPU 2.8 Ghz
3 Gigs Ram
Just Love What You Do !
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
If you post your dxdiag.txt we will be able to have a look for you.

Parts A & B here.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Attached is my dxdiag and I'm using build 2702 of PD9.

Many thanks

Stephanie.
 Filename
DxDiag for Stephanie.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag for Stephanie
 Filesize
51 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
654 time(s)
Just Love What You Do !
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stephanie,

Well a start of your problems may be that you do not have a proper graphics card. You have what is known as an integrated graphics chip on your motherboard. Editing especially HD video is about the hardest thing you can do on your computer.

What to do, you could see if there are any updates to your video and sound drivers or even fit a proper graphics card to your computer.

Although with XP and an old pentium cpu, it may be time to think of upgrading your computer. Sorry girl but you as many others have been caught out by the camera makers selling all these new cameras without telling people how hard it is going to be to edit your videos on old equipment.

At least it is still working even though it takes a second attempt, so I would start saving your pennies for a new computer.

Cheers

Robert2 S

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Hi Robert and thanks for the advice.

I don't have any trouble at all editing or producing or anything at all with PD9 on my computer and it's only with starting the program 'now and again' and it always starts on the 2nd attempt >touch wood< And sometimes PD9 opens really fast. I just wondered if this glitch was 'fixable' but if it isn't I don't mind for the now as everything is working sweet.

Yes, this pc was built by my partner's nephew last year and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg so I am very grateful. As for buying a new pc then I know that will have to wait for the now as my partner want's his upgrading first !

As for updates then I updated the G41 Chipset graphics drivers and also my SB 5.1 sound drivers just yesterday as it happens. I know they sound dated but that is the latest versions available. I was going to check the Gigabyte MB drivers but I didn't get round to that due to a very proactive weekend totally formatting and re-installing windows xp to remove all trace and damage caused by a half a dozen Magix programs !

There is 4 gigs RAM in my system but XP only utilises 3 of them ! le sigh . But having said that my system is running better now than ever. And just for the record PD9 did the crash at start thing before and after the windows reinstall.

Hmm, Just had a thought and considering my Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10 and also Trakaxpc Pro have always run perfect I'm just wondering whether this 'periodical crash' of PD9 has anything to do with the splash screen initialising with the PD9 woman there. Maybe it has something to do with the graphics on the screen, or flash ? I only say that because I've recently had bad flickering of videos playback in VLC only when I move the video player across the screen and also sometimes when I move other items around the screen when a video is playing. The video flickers quite alot. I must emphasis that it doesn't do that in PD9.

But anyway, that's another thread for windows xp ! Getting carried away again.

Apologies and thanks.

Stephanie.

Just Love What You Do !
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Hi Stephanie,

The flickering of the video when moving across the screen would most probably be your graphics chip. I seem to remember a setting in windows that gave you the option to blank out a program as you move it across the screen if your computer wasn't powerful enough.

Enjoy your editing you are doing well to get everything working. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Good Afternoon Robert ..Just a quickie before lunch to say that after a morning of fiddling, poking and experimenting with my PC I've actually discovered why my VLC video player seriously flickers when dragged across the screen.

And this 'maybe' might be the case why my PD9 crashes 'sometimes' at start up...maybe.

Anyway, I took the skin off of my VLC to discount that and it still flickered, but more so when it got nearer the centre of the screen and disappeared near the edges !

And whilst dragging it slowly it suddenly dawned on me that my 'Vueminder' calendar lite splash screen calendar appeared to be causing the problem cozz the splash screen is up on the screen all the time. And of course once I minimized the calendar splash screen my VLC and Video played perfectly. Soo, i put the Vueminder splash screen back up and found by trial and error that if I put the 'opaqueness slider' anywhere between hard left [ least opaque ] and maybe three quarters to the right ( full opaque ) then my VLC flickered badly but if I slid the opaque slider fully right, ie: splash screen calendar fully visible then my VLC videos played perfect !

Would you believe it ? Goodness !!

Anyway, I'm kinda wondering if this is the cause of my PD9 crashing on initial start up ?

I mean I'm soo nervous with anticipation I daren't click the PD9 .exe in my taskbar !! lol

Will report back when I have trialled PD9 start up sufficiently enough to say one way or the other.

And I'm kinda thinking it might perhaps be a good idea not to use the splash screen ?

Stephanie.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 25. 2011 22:01

Just Love What You Do !
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Hi Stephanie,

Yeh computers, definitely touchy things, who would have one. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Back Again as I tried my PD9 without the calendar splash screen and it crashed first time !

But started the 2nd time !

Anyway, without wanting to go over ground again I went to control panel and Event Viewer and found the PD9 error report for it's crash just now.

I'm wondering if this information may help in the PD9 crash dx or maybe it's just a lot of standard tech jargon ?

Stephanie.

Below is the error report of my PD9 crash and also a Dr Watson report.

Error Properties

26/04/2011
Source: Application Error
Event ID 1000

Description

Faulting application pdr9.exe, version 9.0.0.2702, faulting module pdr9.exe,

version 9.0.0.2702, fault address 0x0008c259

For more information see help and support @ microsoft

Dr Watson Report

The application, C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector\PDR9.exe, generated

an application error The error occurred on 04/26/2011 @ 14:09:05.093 The

exception generated was c0000005 at address 0048C259

(PDR9!CCLAuMixerAPI__operator=)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Just Love What You Do !
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
I have to add the fact that when PD9 crashes at start up it ALWAYS puts the sound volume to ZERO. ie: no sounds and I have to turn the volume back up in the system tray.

Odd that ! Just Love What You Do !
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Here is another problem... disk space....

Drive: C:
Free Space: 56.1 GB
Total Space: 226.2 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: TOSHIBA MK2552GSX

Should have tried the trial version first.... your computer is not happy with PD9 and PD9 is not happy with your computer. Not enough RAM or video memory to utilize PD9.

If I got your video chip set correctly there was a update in February for it. Win7/Vista 32 bit ver 15.17.16.23....

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+controllers&ProductProduct=Mobile+Intel%C2%AE+4+Series+Express+Chipset+Family

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 25. 2011 22:59

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link