Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Speaker Noise and Crackle with MP3's
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
OUTSANDING!! You are performing a service to us all. But, for the hunter, the hunt has its own rewards.

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
Well, not quite the way I would have expected you to have to deal with it, but the important thing is that you now have a handle on things. Pity you couldn't follow my instructions, as they could not have led to the
Last night I disabled all the start up items but before I got any further I was suffering conflict after conflict and then I couldn't get the items to load again at the start and then my printer failed to respond and various other problems, some that I've had a while.

as you describe. But who cares? As long as you are now on the track and should be able to pin down any conflict, or never have it again, that is all that matters.

Good luck

Denbigh i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]

Stephanie -

I am so proud of you!!

perseverance, noun:

steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
StephanieNZ
Member Location: New Zealand Joined: Feb 01, 2011 19:20 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Okay everyone, I have 'FINALLY' tracked down the software culprit in this PD9 MP3 audio crackle on the timeline.

As I said I reinstalled windows after formatting the drive yesterday and PD9 was just soo sweet.

Today I reinstalled Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10, TrakAxPc Pro, Sony Architect DVD Creator, Xara Webdesigner 6 and also VLC and still everything was sweet on the PD9 Timeline with my MP3.

Soo, I reinstalled my program called Stoik iMagic 5, which is a sort of photo organiser but you can also edit photos 'AND 'Videos...I paid for it last year and they are in Russia. [ I quite like the program ]

"BUT"....with a capital 'B'' when I checked my faithful little MP3 on the timeline of PD9...Guess what ?....

IT CRACKLED !! WHOA ! LOL

It was SUCH a surprise..My blood pressure goes up with every MP3 test I do !!

Soo, it is my photo and video organiser from Stoik causing all the problems !

Soo, what options have I got ? [ apart from uninstalling it ]...Can I track down a component it has installed on my system ? I mean if its going to be a mammoth job I can use my WAV files but I'm wondering if there is anything simple I can do that will remedy the problem and allow Both programs to work in harmony ?

I don't use the Video part of Stoik iMagic so maybe I could disable something in that part if a codec or whatever has been installed that is the culprit ?

Anyway, below is the link to the Culprit program....and I really thought it was gonna be Real Player ! Yikes..

Soo, now you all know the culprit !!! LOL

What a performance !

PS, Thanks Nina for your lovely comments, much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Stephanie.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2011 03:40

Just Love What You Do !
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Just for Info...

On the insistence of my other half I Uninstalled my Stoik iMagic 5 photo and video editor and hey...PD9 is playing MP3's soo sweet again !

It was a double check.

I mean, I've gotta laugh because if I had sat at this pc for a year I'd have never ever said the problem was with Stoik !

So now I know that the problem Stoik iMagic puts on the system for PD9 and MP3's on the timeline can be removed by a simple Uninstall of Stoik.

Soo, does that suggest a culprit component in the installation files of Stoik iMagic to anyone here ?

Regards,

Stephanie. Just Love What You Do !
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
It means the offending program is installing another codec which is called by PD9. It can even be that other programs pick up the 'right' codec, whilst PD9 just happens to pick up the 'wrong' one. The syntax of the call may be enough to do it. Too complicated and unnecessary for you to worry about. Pity you paid for it !! i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your last comment SeptimusFry. It provides a most welcome insight from following the adventures of SheRubber.

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Hi Denbigh and Everyone else who contributed to my PD9 problem here.

This is just to wrap up this thread and finalise things. I have found a 'FREE' photo organiser that looks and acts just the way I want it and it integrates into my system just perfect.

I bit the bullet and Uninstalled the offending culprit Stoik iMagic, although I still have the key code and could use it anytime I wanted in the future. LOL

Anyway, I installed the new 'FREE' program called Zoner Photo Studio and it works perfect and PD9 doesn't crackle on the timeline with MP3's ! yay

Soo, after who knows how many days sat here I have finally got everything working.

And Now Back to Designing !! l

Thanks to ALL for your input.

Muchly Appreciated.

Stephanie.

Here is the new free program:

http://download.cnet.com/Zoner-Photo-Studio-Free/3000-2192_4-75186165.html?tag=mncol;2 Just Love What You Do !
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Oh My Goodness !!..Not this thread again ?, lol, Yes, it's me, again and yes, I've changed my 'nick' recently...

Anyway, I apologise to all you long suffering people here with this thread but the 'only' reason I'm adding this bit is for the archives in case someone else with PD9 encounters anything similar with crackling mp3's !

The last time I was here was when I discovered it was actually Stoik iMagic 5 photo and video editor that was causing MP3's to crackle on the PD9 timeline. Soo, reluctantly, I uninstalled the iMagic which I had paid for, and the crackle on PD9 disappeared instantly.

But, yesterday I kinda got it in my head to try and tinker with Stoik and actually determine what was causing this within the workings of iMagic ( and that attitude has gotten me into pc bother before ! )

Anyway, I re-installed Stoik iMagic 5 and of course PD9 started crackling on the timeline once again with MP3's.

Soo, I took a peek around Stoik iMagic in the settings in the programme and when that didn't work I decided to look into the installation files with 7 Zip and after 15 minutes gave up and was all prepared to say my fond farewells to the software. ( Also in Stoik settings you have to tick which video and audio codecs you'd like to use but no matter which I ticked or unticked made any difference to PD9 )

Soo, I went to uninstall it and was greeted by a modify option so rather than totally remove it I clicked modify instead and was greeted by 3 modify options that being "Remove Program Files", "Remove Help Files" and lastly "Remove Shared DLL's"

Soo, I instantly latched onto "Remove Shared DLL's" and although I have no idea whatsoever what it is or what it does it really did sound suspect to me in conjunction with the MP3 crackle problem.

Soo, I clicked the Modify and "Remove Shared DLL'S" option and rebooted and then opened up PD9 WITH Stoik iMagic installed and with baited breath played some MP3's on the timeline !!

And do you know what ? lol

NO CRACKLE and that's "WITH" Stoik installed too. Just to double check I then opened up Stoik and did a few things with it and PD9 played perfectly....

and soo, in this instance, ....I can have my cake AND eat it too !! lol

I have no idea how un-checking shared dll's would fix the problem but if anyone else has the problem then I hope all this info helps.

Soo, that's it.

Enjoy your day,

SeptimusFry
[Post New]
DLL == Dynamic Linked Library

Dynamic Link means it is used when the program runs, rather than when the program is built (for when the program is built, one uses Object Libraries)

Library is a set of procedures to do something, like paint new window, get the location of something... so they are the set of jobs required for the program. In this case audio tasks like decoding a coded musical phrase, increase volume, change LR balance...

Drivers are examples of dynamic linked libraries: I want to do some document handling, so I use some application like Word or Adobe or Notebook - when I want to print: with all the printers around, Word, Adobe or Notebook designers do not want to have to write routines for all the printers in the world!! they rely on the printer supplier (or MS) to provide a DLL which will implement all the jobs that the software wants the printer to do. That is why sometimes our Word document might not turn out the way we want in some subtle way, like the printing is too light or worse.

Bottom line in your case: the Audio app was installing its own drivers or pre-drivers over the top of shared libraries, and you removed them. i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Thank you soo much SeptimusFry for explaining to me the workings of dll's and drivers etc and for putting it all in words that I can understand.

Since joining these forums I have learnt quite a bit about PD9 and also a bit about the mystical world of the Pc.

I'm truly grateful to all those here who share their knowledge.

dopou94
Newbie Location: Paris - FRANCE Joined: Jun 20, 2011 16:48 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

I’m afraid I can’t help, but want to share that I have the same problem Stephanie described.

I’ve been using PD for a long time.

With PD8, everything was perfect.

I baught PD9 a few days ago. With PD9, I can no longer read correctly any of my MP3s on the timeline (crackle, loud like playing at a slower speed) although it is perfect with the preview of PD9, or with waveEditor.

My PC runs Windows XP Home SP3 – Intel Core2DUO E6850 3.00 GHz - 2GB RAM

As an IT expert, I’ve tried hundreds of configurations (empty project, MP3 in any sound timeline, etc.). At the end of the day, I experienced the same issue.

I’ve also reinstalled the software, and all patches one by one. Then, same issue.

This PD9 is pulling my legs !!!

Should you have any idea before I find a wizard working for Cyberlink technical support.

Regards,

Dominique, from PARIS-France _________________
Dominique
Paris - France

PowerDirector9 - patch #2930

Windows XP - Asustek P5W DH - Intel Core2Duo 3.00 GHz E6850 - 2 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB -
DirectX 9.0c
Missy3XL [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 02, 2011 18:34 Messages: 55 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dominique, tis me, Stephanie and I've ended up with 2 nicks after changing my e.mail address with Cyberlink and them not changing my directorzone address. So I'm StephanieNZ and SummersSapphire here with 2 e.mail addys !

Anyway, my crackle on the timeline with PD9 was because of my installed Stoik IMagic 5 which is a photo organiser / editor and video editor all in one from Russia. By unchecking 'shared dll's' on Stoik's options sorted the problem for me but after I reported it to them they brought out an upgraded version and this version doesn't affect my PD9 timeline with MP3's.

I know nothing really but Is it possible that you have a program that is causing a conflict with the PD9 timeline ? (like my Stoik iMagic 5)

Regards,

Stephanie.
SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Hi, I am glad you have a bit of expertise, as I think I can put you in the way of sorting this quite quickly.

You should use the procedure outlined in this MS knowledge-base article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

I have pointed people at this almost fool-proof method, but some others have suggested it is tricky and complicated and ugh.... It is not. It is very straightforward and can do no damage to your system. I would suggest one thing though, which MS do not suggest - create a restore point, and then, when you have identified the offending software, you can simply restore and then remove just the one item. It will be clear when you look at the article above.

I cannot more strongly emphasis that this WILL identify your problem. i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
dopou94
[Post New]
Hi SeptimusFry,

Many thanks for your prompt help.

the link is for Vista, Might be a test to see whether i'm an expert ; I'm not really, to be honest. I'll translate for my XP.

Anyway, i'll try this incremental approach which is most of time the way i fix issues in this bloody inextricable computer world.

Will keep you posted, if I still have a computer (means i've not thrown my PC out of the window)
Dominique

Windows XP - Asustek P5W DH - Intel Core2Duo 3.00 GHz E6850 - 2 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB -
DirectX 9.0c
SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Hi Dominique,

I did not notice that you were using XP. The XP procedure is essentially the same, but you can see Method 2 in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 for details. The warning about 'advanced users' is a bit off-putting, but, provided that you create a restore point before your efforts, you will always be able to go back to square one ! It is not so much advanced users, more a case of reasonably careful intelligent users.

PS. Users generally get really annoyed with the bit of misbehaving software, cos that is what is not working properlly - reasonable, oui? But how come the software works for thousands of other people? It is always the same: one bit of software clashing with another. Who is to blame? We will never know, but we have to deal with it by finding the clash and removing it. Probably both Cyberlink and the 'other' software are both at fault, for not implementing some procedure exactly as specified. This argument is the same for ANY software where the whole world is happy except oneself.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 22. 2011 03:35

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
dopou94
[Post New]
hi,

I'm afraid I'm back to square one ;

I've started win XP in diag mode but I can't see any trouble and can't see any improvement.

I'm quite sure my audio codecs are not guilty, i.e. I've disabled all, one by one and tried again one after one reading an MP3 either with PD9 or WMP. Regardless my WMP which was sometimes not very happy, the preview of PD9 carried on reading well while the same MP3 dropped on the timeline did not.

Hence, I'd suspect any DirectX, why not ? I have DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

At the end of the day, I would pray for a miracle from Cyberlink technical support, who is struggling with my problem too.

thanks.

Dominique. _________________
Dominique
Paris - France

DirectX 9.0c
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
At the end of the day, I would pray for a miracle from Cyberlink technical support, who is struggling with my problem too.

WOW that would be a first...... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Dominique -

You're not alone!

Do your MP3s sound like this? http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16688.page#83347 (check attachment)

Even after multiple reinstalls and installing the 2930 patch, it's still the same. I just cut to the chase & use .wav or .wma.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Missy3XL [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 02, 2011 18:34 Messages: 55 Offline
[Post New]
Oh my goodness Tony, I just listened to your PD9 MP3 and that's not what mine sounded like. With mine the tune played perfect but was bugged by a loud crackle in the background for the duration. Yours just sounds totally munted as they say in NZ !

Using wav's is a good compromise.

Stephanie.
dopou94
[Post New]
Hi all friendly contributors to my crusade,

Tony, I can't agree more with your statement :

1. I have exactly the same issue I've heard in your attachment

2. however, .MP3 converted in .wav doesn"t work either

3. to go straight to the point (to cut to the chase ?), wma works perfectly :))) I love Bill's galaxy!

At the end of the day, this is off-putting, but I must admit, as a froggy guy from Paris, that this is improving my written english.

Will keep you posted if wizards from Cyberlink technical support find the Holy Graal

DirectX 9.0c