Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Interface GUI
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I was happy to see a new interface thinking it might be a well thought out productive interface to build the future on. I was rather disappointed. A few comments below after driving around for a while.

1. New Launcher window is a bust, can't turn it off
  2. Changing db in the Audio Mixer vertical slide now controls track audio, horizontal slide gone. What a mess, why would first screen be track controls. Another extra editing step for clip controls from Audio Mixer to select Keyframes
  3. Constantly have to click "Advanced" for like the old PIP as not remembered like previous, F2 key will be highly utilized
  4. Constantly have to click "Advanced" for like the old Title Designer as not remembered like previous, F2 key will be highly utilized
  5. Timeline audio waveform is a wreak, not helpful for any use other than knowing it's got a audio track
  6. Timeline colors of clips, audio, are putrid, no easy user control
  7. Unlinking audio and video leaves a sizeable vertical gap in between the two clips. No real purpose, just wasted track real estate, color changes so why is the gap needed too
  8. Timeline timecode area much larger but of no value, just takes premium screen space
  9. Sales page says "200+ Video Effects, LUTs & Stickers", there are no LUTS in Ultimate, the tag is empty
  10. The Outro templates are now populated, I paid for those in my PD21 perpetual release but never got to use as they were not included like the sales page indicated. A PD21 patch only added Intro templates.
  11. Everything in interface rather than being user centric for editing speed, is simply more clicks, interface not thought out, just a change. Nothing to really build on, I'm sure just more move around and icon color changes with patches.
  12. Subtitles icon on top takes you to page with 3 options, but from the "Create Subtitles Manually" area one has access to "Speech to Text" and "Import Subtitles". Another needless interface.
  13. Just a kludgy GUI interface. Editing speed not a forethought.
  14. I miss the "All Content" in like Titles, I've got no idea how CL will tag a particular Title in General or Plain Text or any other category. It was much easier scrolling through "All Content" rather than bouncing category to category
  15. I miss the "All Content" in like Transitions, I've got no idea how CL will tag a particular Transition into which category. Much easier scrolling and looking in "All Content"
  16. Added a meaningless playhead not at beginning of file message, good thing it can be turned off permanently
  17. Inconvenient spot for preview window timecode. It was very near the frame controls which was convenient, now way off to the right
  18. How are Effects sorted? For example, take Effects > Body, they appear in just some random order. The "Sort by menu" always appears greyed out in all these rooms now.
  19. Many features lacking "Apply to All" like Video Stabilizer and others

I really didn't find anything to report in the new interface I thought stood out as a big editing aid, to me, just another ill thought rendition of a interface with items moved around with new colors and icons. I wish that was not the case, but from my quick drive, that was my experience.

Jeff

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 16. 2023 21:24

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
There is one improvement in the GUI. Two way editing with AudioDirector used to always return to PD21 perpetual with a downsized PD window that you'd have to maximize every time, that appears to be corrected.

Too bad these simple things aren't corrected with perpetual patches vs waiting for the next perpetual release.

Jeff
Newbie-914 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2023 11:15 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I was a long ago user PowerDirector 19... So lots has changed.
I have viewed almost everything Ican and can not find where all the Theme Design templates show.

All references to loading the content packs,etc are for previos versions. I would like to make a slideshow with one of the many Theme Design templates.

CAM shows the 5 Main Content Paks are installed, but I don't even have a template folder in the C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink Directory.

Where are they now and how do I access them from within PowerDirector

Please help!
 Filename
cyberlink issues.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
Images to help explain my issue
 Filesize
433 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
71 time(s)
David62277 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2021 12:44 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
100% agree with everything in that list... very disappointed in this new version.
JohnRobinsonRC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 10, 2021 03:35 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I was happy to see a new interface thinking it might be a well thought out productive interface to build the future on. I was rather disappointed. A few comments below after driving around for a while.

1. New Launcher window is a bust, can't turn it off
  2. Changing db in the Audio Mixer vertical slide now controls track audio, horizontal slide gone. What a mess, why would first screen be track controls. Another extra editing step for clip controls from Audio Mixer to select Keyframes
  3. Constantly have to click "Advanced" for like the old PIP as not remembered like previous, F2 key will be highly utilized
  4. Constantly have to click "Advanced" for like the old Title Designer as not remembered like previous, F2 key will be highly utilized
  5. Timeline audio waveform is a wreak, not helpful for any use other than knowing it's got a audio track
  6. Timeline colors of clips, audio, are putrid, no easy user control
  7. Unlinking audio and video leaves a sizeable vertical gap in between the two clips. No real purpose, just wasted track real estate, color changes so why is the gap needed too
  8. Timeline timecode area much larger but of no value, just takes premium screen space
  9. Sales page says "200+ Video Effects, LUTs & Stickers", there are no LUTS in Ultimate, the tag is empty
  10. The Outro templates are now populated, I paid for those in my PD21 perpetual release but never got to use as they were not included like the sales page indicated. A PD21 patch only added Intro templates.
  11. Everything in interface rather than being user centric for editing speed, is simply more clicks, interface not thought out, just a change. Nothing to really build on, I'm sure just more move around and icon color changes with patches.
  12. Subtitles icon on top takes you to page with 3 options, but from the "Create Subtitles Manually" area one has access to "Speech to Text" and "Import Subtitles". Another needless interface.
  13. Just a kludgy GUI interface. Editing speed not a forethought.
  14. I miss the "All Content" in like Titles, I've got no idea how CL will tag a particular Title in General or Plain Text or any other category. It was much easier scrolling through "All Content" rather than bouncing category to category
  15. I miss the "All Content" in like Transitions, I've got no idea how CL will tag a particular Transition into which category. Much easier scrolling and looking in "All Content"
  16. Added a meaningless playhead not at beginning of file message, good thing it can be turned off permanently
  17. Inconvenient spot for preview window timecode. It was very near the frame controls which was convenient, now way off to the right
  18. How are Effects sorted? For example, take Effects > Body, they appear in just some random order. The "Sort by menu" always appears greyed out in all these rooms now.
  19. Many features lacking "Apply to All" like Video Stabilizer and others

I really didn't find anything to report in the new interface I thought stood out as a big editing aid, to me, just another ill thought rendition of a interface with items moved around with new colors and icons. I wish that was not the case, but from my quick drive, that was my experience.

Jeff

I am shocked at how badly they have messed up the software and all for what? New users to make it simple and easy. What about those of us that know how to edit and use it daily? A simple 2 hour project took me 7. What about productivity? And why remove most used tools? Why not offer two buttons at the top. Basic (new version for new users) and advanced users (old useful version that I dont want to throw my monitor out of the window)? My subscription runs out in 2 days and I am having to try and find a replacement that is in fact user friendly.
paulsw212 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 30, 2023 19:21 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using PD for over a decade (since PD10 days) and I think this is by far the worst version that I've had. I've posted elsewhere about the instability issues, so I won't labour that point. But it is shocking how they've undermined the user-interface for editing, for no rhyme or reason that I can see.

Thanks for your list Jeff, I hadn't spotted that they've removed the functionality of "Apply to All' from the editing menu. This is a bust for me as I use this a lot if I've got multiple clips on the timeline and I want to do color-editing of one clip and then apply it to the others. I guess the workaround would be to highlight all the clips on the timeline and then edit them all simultaneously, but that's just more cumbersome isn't it? And 'cumbersome' seems to be the keyword for PD24!

Here's another (small) example - there was an icon in PD21 that enabled you to toggle the view in the Library from icons to details. This seems to have gone (I can't find it), but instead you have to click on three dots to open an additonal menu and then click again on 'View' and then click for a third time on 'Details View'. So they've replaced a one click operation with three clicks. How is this an intuitive user-interface?!

Finally, thanks Jeff for saying that the timeline colours are 'putrid'. Whoever thought that vomit yellow was an appropriate colour for clips? The FX tracks show up in a lurid green. Whatever happened to good taste and design in the presentation of this application?

Paul

EDIT: just realised my workaround on 'Apply to All' won't work when I'm making colour corrections in ColorDirector and then importing back into PD as you can only work on one clip at a time in CDR. That's a blow! I may post a specific thread about this.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2023 12:56

Mike Hall [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 29, 2018 19:37 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Removed the 'Fast Forward' button in the Preview Module.
Made a change to 'Pan/Zoom' which is more timeconsuming to use with video.