Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8 says it burned successfully, but the disk can't be read!
tkneu [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 17, 2010 23:49 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased PD8, build 2704. I really like the program, but can't seem to burn a disk that will be read on my computer or DVD machine when I put in a menu. Here's what I did:

I created 4 separate slide shows.
Each slide show will burn fine onto a disk without a menu.
But if I combine all 4 slideshows and put in a menu, it previews fine. But when I burn a disk, it goes through the process of burning a disk and tells me that it burned successfully. But when I open the disk on my computer, it is unreadable and cannot be played on a DVD player. If you look at the disk, it looks as though something burned on there, but it's not anything readable by the computer.
I am using Windows 7 on an HP computer with i7 processor.

I hope I've provided enough information for someone to help me. I appreciate any words of wisdom anyone may have.

Thanks.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried burning to a folder instead of a disc? That will help narrow down whether it is a creation problem or a burning problem. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Put your disk into your DVD drive in your computer. Go to my computer and select your DVD drive. Check to see what the file structure is on the disk. There should be two folders: Audio_TS and Video_TS. The Audio_TS folder may be empty, but the Video_TS folder should have several files and many of them should be in the format of name1.VOB, name2.VOB, etc. Try clicking on any of these VOB files. Do any of these play on your computer?

What kind of DVD media are you using. Are they DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, etc. Most DVD players have better compatibility with DVD+R media. Just to be clear, if you do not have a menu your disks play on a regular DVD player. If this is the case then your media is fine (at least for your machine). Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
tkneu [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to the both of you for your prompt response. Regarding burning to a folder rather than disk, I can't maintain my menu by burning to a folder. So that really doesn't help me since I can burn the individual files.

Regarding the disk itself... after it says that it burned successfully, I put the disk back into the computer and see NOTHING! It's clear that something burned, since the DVD is now two different colors. But there are no files or folders on it. I'm using a DVD-R, which works on my computer for everything else.

So it seems like whatever got burned onto the disk is not readable by either a computer or DVD player.

Any other suggestions?
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I've made numerous disks to a folder with a menu so I know that is is possible. I often times make a DVD folder first so then I can burn additional disks without needing to use PD. I like a free program called Imgburn. It allows me to change the "booktype" to DVD+R.

In your case, what program are you using to view your burned DVD and what operating system are you using? Media Player for Windows 7 can play DVDs. A free program you can download is VLC player. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
tkneu [Avatar]
[Post New]
So how do you burn a project with a menu to a folder? When I go under Produce, it only burns the individual files without a menu. If I go under Create Disk, it only gives me the option of burning to a disk.

I'm using Windows Media Player in Windows 7 to view the video on my computer. But like I said before, if I put the disk into my computer, there are no files on the disk. So for some reason, the files that are being burned onto the disk cannot be read, even by my computer.
James W
[Post New]
After clicking on the burn button on the lower right portion of the screen a menu will pop up. Under the heading "Final Output" you have two options. The second box says "Create a folder". Check that box and give the folder output directory and file name. Now click on Start burning.

Your right about not being able to see the files on your DVD. You need program capable of reading the disk. I've use VLC player to see these files on the DVD. If you can burn a folder on your hard disk you'll see what should be on the DVD. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
tkneu [Avatar]
[Post New]
I reinstalled PD8 and followed the same steps to burn a disk. After stating that it burned successfully, it would not play on my computer or DVD and the cannot see any files on the disk.

So I took your suggestion and burned to a folder. At 34%, a pop up window came up with the following:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Program: C:\program Files (x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\PDR8.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the aplication's support team for more information.

What might this mean?
James W
[Post New]
Thomas, sorry to see that you are still having issues.

Here's a related post to what you are experiencing. This person had trouble at the 28% mark and it was due to particular segment in his video. Before burning to a disk I would first try this. Click the produce tab and select MPEG-2. On the left side select DVD-HQ and try to produce a file. If successful, try to play that file on your PC. If that works start a new project and add that file to the timeline. Now try to create a disk/folder.

If you have trouble making an MPEG-2 file that tells me that something may be wrong with either one of your video clips (corrupted video) or PD did not like something that you did. If this step fails, try to produce your file with the preview on to see where the the problem occurred in your video.

Here's that link.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/10554.page Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
James W
[Post New]
On a related note, I would burn to DVD+RW for now so that you are not wasting regular DVD+R/DVD-R disks. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
tkneu [Avatar]
[Post New]
One more thing. I shut down the computer and tried burning to a file again. This time at 17%, I got the error

Burning unsuccessful
(8000FFFF)

So there's something obviously going wrong here. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
James W
[Post New]
I don't know what the error codes actually mean. Have you tried producing a MPEG2 file like I suggested earlier? What kind of video footage are you editing? The fact that your computer can't read the disk you already made is puzzling. It seems like you are missing a codec. Windows XP had this problem, but Windows 7 can play back DVDs through windows media player.

Maybe someone else will have another suggestion.

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
tkneu [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi James,

Thanks for your help. I think one of the files that I was using got corrupted, even though I was able to burn it on it's own previously. When I took out that file, I was able to burn it to a folder without any problems.

But your help was fantastic... thanks very much!
James W
[Post New]
Glad to hear it is working better now. You probably can reload the suspect file from your camera and try again. At least now you can make some progress. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If you really need that file, try converting it to another format, using PD.
In the event PD won't work to convert it, try any other converter, then see if PD likes the new file/clip.
Just throwing that in because the suspect clip might be important.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT