Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm not entirely sure I appreciate the belligerent tone of your message, but I did post my resolution over two years ago. To summarise:

I had a look in Device Manager [...] and found ntk_PowerDVD12 had an error triangle icon on it: "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)".

[...]

What finally appeared to fix the issue was uninstalling the ntk_PowerDVD12 device in Device Manager (make sure to click View->Show Hidden Devices). I then rebooted, uninstalled and then re-installed PowerDVD 12 and the option to select a region was restored with 5 changes available. I can now play Blu-ray discs again in PowerDVD 12. I'm not sure if this faulty device was causing the problems or if it was merely preventing a clean uninstall/reinstall cycle but it removing it seemed to do the trick.

I'm aware that region codes can be tracked by the drive's firmware but my understanding was this only applies to DVDs. Indeed, if I look in Device Manager there are region settings for DVD (but not Blu-ray), and Wikipedia states the following:

Unlike DVD region codes, Blu-ray region codes are verified only by the player software, not by the optical drive's firmware.
Unfortunately, I don't believe the Core 2 has integrated graphics, it's the later Core CPUs (i3/i5/i7 etc) that have integrated graphics, and PowerDVD is specifically checking for the 2nd generation of those (post-2010) - http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-2nd-generation-intel-core-processor-graphics-hd-graphics . I'm not sure why the test succeeds in your case if you've got a Core 2 Quad from 2009 or so.

I know that TotalMedia Theater has a software decoder to avoid the need for hardware decoder support, but on my 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo the resulting 3D playback was a slide show, so I can understand why PowerDVD requires the hardware support.
Quote: Thanks dude, but this is a bit like asking if I plugged in the power supply
Yes, 3D is enabled... In the settings of the TV, in the settings of PDVD and selected as output on the blu-ray disk.

You are right about one thing I noticed as well and that is the fact that the movie is shown as an 2D (normal) movie. My TV settings LITERALLY say that 3D in modus "ON" will detect an 3D signal when the input signal is presented as 3D.
Since it don't show 3D images I think there is no signal presented that is recognized as 3D...

Sorry to insult your intelligence, I just thought I should ask as you didn't mention clicking this button to enable 3D and I would have hated it to be something as simple as that!

Quote: and then there is this...

Hardware Support for Blu-ray™ 3D and TrueTheater™ 3D
New 3D technologies require additional hardware to view 3D movie content:
  • HDMI 1.4 enabled 3DTV
  • check
  • Eye wear: Active shutter glasses
  • check
  • Supported Hardware: HDMI 1.4 enabled 3D TV
  • check
  • Supported Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 and AMD Radeon HD 6800 series or above
  • > FAIL (HD4850)
  • Integrated Graphics: 2nd generation Intel Core processors or above
  • check

This botters me a bit. The test I did with the Advisor software told me de graphics card I have is okay for 3D content via PDVD, this clearly shows it is not...
    Any of you guys working with a graphic card older than Cyberlink advises?

I believe PowerDVD specifically requires Blu-ray 3D hardware acceleration for 3D decoding (I ended up having to upgrade my HD5770 to an HD6770, so I don't think an HD4850 will cut it). Can you plug your monitor into the integrated graphics (which seems to be a 2nd generation Intel Core CPU or later, so should support Blu-ray 3D acceleration)?
    As well as selecting the 3D option inside the Blu-ray disc menus, make sure that you have also enabled 3D in PowerDVD itself (PowerDVD defaults to 2D output, even with 3D content). There's a "3D" button in the control strip at the bottom of the window - trying clicking this.
    Ah, I see your point, sorry - the issue doesn't appear to affect the UK site, but I can replicate the effect on the US one. Very odd, the price for the upgrade seems to be similarly affected.
    Check what else is in your cart - when I purchased the upgrade a ~£5 optional extra that allowed me to redownload the software for one year after purchase was automatically added. You can remove this to bring the price back down to the advertised price.
    I ended up resolving the issue by forcing "Dynamic Range" to "Full (0 - 255)" in Catalyst Control Center (Video->Advanced Video Color). This shouldn't affect other software that is already outputting full range colour.
    Yes, that's exactly it!

I uninstalled my AMD drivers (using Programs and Features, selecting Change for the AMD Catalyst Install Manager and opting for an Express Uninstall) and the bundled Windows 8 one, rebooted and installed Catalyst 11.12 (the latest 11.x available) and Blu-ray 3D played back flawlessly using the display driver 8.920.0.0000. I created a System Restore point and installed the Catalyst 12.x drivers packages in sequence - all versions up to and including 12.6 use the same display driver (8.920.0.0000) but update the Media Foundation Decoders (without breaking anything). 12.8 (there is no 12.7) introduces display driver 8.982.0.0000, after which point Blu-ray 3D playback is corrupted. I rolled back to my System Restore point I had created after installing 11.12, reinstalled 12.6 and everything works beautifully (albeit with fairly ancient drivers).

Thank you so much.
    I thought I'd bump this thread as I'm having the same issue still - I recently installed Windows 8 and that should have cleared out any dodgy 3rd party drivers or incorrect video card driver settings. PowerDVD was one of the first things I installed (specifically so I could check this issue) and the problem remains. In addition, Dredd 3D also shows the same corruption that Hugo 3D displays, so it's not release-specific.
    This is an unfortunate and common issue with display devices that perform any form of input processing (sharpening, noise reduction, dynamic contrast/colour etc). My monitor introduces around 180ms delay (measured with Guitar Hero, which is naturally unplayable on the monitor).

If you run the audio through the TV the TV will delay the audio to compensate as it knows the picture will be delayed - if you connect a receiver to your PC for audio you may be able to introduce a delay via the receiver, though that's an expensive hardware solution for something that could be handled in software.

It may be worth checking your TV's menus for a mode that disables input processing and reduces the delay. My monitor has a "PC" mode which reduces the delay, but this only works in 60Hz mode (switching to 24Hz/50Hz for Blu-ray/PAL content disables PC mode and reintroduces the delay).

I agree that it would be nice for PowerDVD to offer an audio delay feature as it shouldn't be too tricky to implement (other software such as XBMC and ffdshow support it) and it is invaluable when dealing with lagging display devices.
    I'm trying to set up PowerDVD (in cinema mode) as an external player for use with XBMC. However, I have not been able to get the current version of PowerDVD (12.0.2118a.57) to play back a DVD folder from the command-line. I have been using the instructions in this post.

My DVDs are stored on X:\DVD\Films, so the VIDEO_TS.IFO for Excalibur could be found at X:\DVD\Films\Excalibur\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO for example.

All three of the following launch PowerDVD in Cinema mode, but nothing further happens - the film does not play, nor is it selected.

If I change PowerDVDCinema to PowerDVD in the above all three work - PowerDVD launches, loads the relevant DVD and displays the resume/restart prompt for that disc.

If I remove the /LaunchProgram switch then the behaviour is much the same, depending on which was the most-recently used PowerDVD mode (if I most recently used Classic mode, the classic player loads and works - if I most recently used Cinema mode, the cinema player appears but does nothing).

I'm pretty sure this was working in a previous version, but may have dreamt it - has anyone else got this to work, or is it a bug (or known limitation)?
    When resizing video to fit on the screen PowerDVD opts to letterbox (or pillarbox) content which has the advantage of not chopping any of the source video off. However, older non-anamorphic DVD releases may be designed for viewing on 4:3 sets and have extensive letterboxing in the source video which means that PowerDVD displays that letterboxing and adds its own pillarboxing, resulting in the video appearing in a small window rather than filling the screen (such as the theatrical Star Wars DVDs):

In these instances an option to preserve the aspect ratio but to crop the image to fit would be great - the image would the stretched to fit the entire width of the screen (in this case) and have the top and bottom cut off, but as that top and bottom only contains black letterboxing nothing of importance is lost.

Would there be any plan to include such a feature in PowerDVD? (Or is it already there and I've missed it?)
    It's a copy protection measurement - you can't capture the screen when playing Blu-ray, so you'll need to take a photo of the screen or similar (very high tech!)

I get the same video corruption (flickering squares as per this video) in TotalMedia Theatre 5, but it disappears if I disable hardware acceleration (however, the video plays back so jerkily it's unwatchable). I wonder if it's a hardware issue - have you tried TotalMedia Theatre 5?
    When you say a "mosaic" issue, do you have a photo/video of what it looks like? I'm wondering if it's the same issue I've been having with Hugo 3D (I posted a thread about it with a photo and video).
    Thank you! There's a similar request to add the feature to ReClock but no progress has been made on that for a couple of years; in most other DirectShow-based software I use I can load ffdshow which provides an audio delay feature too. Currently I just have to choose whether I want juddery video (24fps Blu-ray on a 60Hz display) or delayed audio.

I don't use an amplifier/receiver (or HDMI audio, for that matter) - I'm using a USB sound "card" with a headphone jack, and as such features to adjust the audio are fairly limited. That's why I'd love it to be an option in PowerDVD.
    Would it be possible to add an option to manually offset the audio sync in PowerDVD itself? (In my case it is a hardware issue as the monitor adds around 180ms of delay to video in any refresh rate other than 60Hz). At least that would provide a workaround for people!
    The current patch for PowerDVD 12 (12.0.1905c.56) fixes this issue - thank you very much!
    Apparently this will be fixed in a later v12 patch ("[001] [2012-02-01] [implementation confirmed for v12] have "do not ask again" in auto-refresh rate box") - as for when that patch will be released (if it will be released), I'm not sure.
    As far as I'm aware you need to select the 3D mode each time. However, the cinema mode seems to remember the 3D setting between runs.
    Thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure how I could check that. I have used AnyDVD HD to copy the .ssif file to my hard disk drive (which would ignore the DRM) but I don't have anything that can play this file with hardware acceleration. (I get the same corruption if I play the Blu-ray in PowerDVD 12 with AnyDVD HD loaded, but I'm not sure if that would be bypassing the DRM or not).

Stereoscopic Player plays the video back fine but very jerkily, presumably as it's using a software decoder.

I don't think it would be the DRM in the monitor (HDCP) which causes the issue as the corruption appears in the same place in the video regardless of whether the film is played back full screen, windowed or in HDMI 1.4 3D mode.
    Go to: