Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

I have a surface book 2 that PD17 was working great on, I made the mistake of upgrading to PD18 (365 version) and the program is unusable. Occassional crash, but very slow playback, unusable. I opened a ticket, described my problem and asked for a rollback to 17, which worked great on my system. I was told that rolling back was not possible so I sent the troubleshooting files. I was told to update some drivers, which unfortunately because Microsoft is having issues with windows and THEIR surface book 2, I am blocked from doing. At this point I decided to try Adobe Premier Pro (they have 7 day trial), it is more expensive, but works well. So as of now I've turned off my PD 365 auto renewal and am going with Premier pro. It's unfortunate that software gets released with bugs. I get that my pc may be an issue too, that's another story, but at least give a consistent means to roll back, that simple gesture, that was afforded someone else in this thread, would have kept this customer in the fold.

I don't think it's your PC. At least it shouldn't be. I have tried it on both my desktop and my laptop. Both are high end gaming PCs with all the updates. Was virtually unusable on both. Another option you might try is Hitfilm Express. It's actually better than Premier (my opinion) and it's free. Even if you upgrade to their Pro version, it's a lot less than Adobe's subscription.

I say that because while there have been several posts from people that are experiencing significant problems, we're now almost 2 weeks past the release date, and there aren't a torrent of them. This forum would be lit up like a christmas tree with ranting and outrage if the problem were truly widespread.

The main point in my reply was to have that person contact tech support, since they were sending PD17 links to people that had not been able to use PD18, and posting for CL to "fix the issues" wasn't going to do them any good.

My statement that this issue isn't impacting everyone was a very minor point, and I now see that I could have left that part out entirely. The focus here should be on getting people up and running, and I appreciate how much you want to get PD up and running again on your systems.

I would hope that someone, somewhere at CL is aware of all of this and is planning a coordinated response to offer a rollback or PD17 installer straight away. That's what I'd do if I were in their shoes, and I hope you get a resolution soon!

It is worth noting that many people, myself included, often browse the forum for people that are having the same issue, and often find the answer they need without posting. Likely, many people have read, and taken your advice to open a ticket without feeling the need to post their own issue.

I can see where when I go to produce video it give me that option, sorry if i am being dumb!

Not dumb at all. With all the possible combination of resolutions and frame rates, I have made that mistake more than once.
Quote I have a brand new computer i9 32 g Ram 6tb HD and a 512 ssd but after rendering videos they are choppy on pans etc. Filmed in 4K 23.98 FPS and rendering 4K MP4 4K 30MPS, NTSC what am I doing wrong?

You can get stuttering from the difference in frame rates. The original source video is shot in a lower frame rate. When you produce it in 30 fps you are missing 6 frames each second. Try producing the video in 23.98 fps and see how it turns out.
Other people?

Other people on the forum. Some have had to disable features like hardware encoding or delete the sample clips to get it working. But some have features work one minute but not the next. Hopefully Cyberlink has a fix soon. People shouldn't have to go through these measures for an seemingly minor upgrade to what was one of the most stable editors out there
Quote For some reason, it's now recognizing the SVRT.
Top of my head is being glued back on.

I've heard this from other people too that features don'twork, then all of a sudden start working. Makes me wonder if Cyberlink is pushing small fixes behind the scenes, or are these random signs of instability in the software.
Quote Oh...My...God.
What have I done?
Aside from PD18 being unable to import and use my AVI files, I was forced to pre-produce them in PD14, which of course can still easily import my files.
So...
I have 30 titles already made in PD17, er, now PD18.
Therefore I bring my newly produced MP4 files, 60P, 7500mb custom bitrate into PD18 expecting to use SVRT and just BLOW thru these projects.
NOPE.
I extract a custom profile and apply it, but the entire timeline SVRT is RED. All must be re-rendered.
Does this work in PD14, you bet it does! But my titles are in PD18, which at this time is an utterly useless software to me.
Utterly useless.
Sorry Cyberlink, I love PowerDirector, but something is broke. Wish I never hit upgrade.

I feel your pain. I have been a long time user of Powerdirector and it was my prefered editor. I also have Davinci, and Hitfilm Express on my computer. My computer is an absolute beast of an editing machine and should run any software without issue. For example, Under heavy load PD17 used 6% of my CPU. Powerdirector always had the easiest workflow and fastest render times. But PD18 is completely unusable. I can't even get to render times because it crashes constantly when I make even slight changes to the timeline. I never had these issues with earlier versions. Because of this, I decided to give Hitfilm more attention. I was a little hesitant before because of the hassle of learning new software when PD17 did what I needed. But, the learning curve was very small and the additional features made up my mind. The ease and features of masking, the built in compositor, and the ability to manipulate clips in 3 dimentions have won me over. OH, and it's free. I have loved powerdirector for many years, but they are WAY behind the competition in features, and the problems with PD18 are just too much.

Since this is a user forum, the people who should really be aware of your feedback are unlikely to see your post here. Please use Rate Us and Provide Suggestions under PD's File menu to get your message to the right people.

I have. I just wanted to share my impressions of the upgrade here as well.
I have to say, after upgrading this morning, that I am disappointed. I have been a user of Powerdirector for years and I was hoping for a major upgrade to bring it up to par with some of the other video editors out there. I was wrong. Other than a few minor changes I see no improvement. I know a lot of people are raving about the 1:1 ratio, but that's a feature I will never use. I am currently working on a small project in which some of the lighting and colors needed adjustment. After trying several times in Powerdirector, I kept getting blocky, noisy video. I loaded the same clip in to Hitfilm Express (a free editor) and using the built in curves editor was able to correct the image in 10 seconds. The tracker in Powerdirector is also lacking. It frequently loses the track when the same footage in Hitfilm or Davinci (both free) will lock on all the way through the clip. The options to what you can attach to a tracked object are also severely limited compared to other programs. Something as simple as an object like the Boris light saber effect, instead of attaching the source and ending points to tracks, you have to go in and manually keyframe each point by opening a seperate window for each keyframe and each point. I was hoping that things like this would have been streamlined in this release, instead of a little fluff added. I have always loved powerdirector, but if they can't keep up with free software that's out there, then I won't be renewing my subscription.
Go to: