Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

Why is something that should be so simple, so difficult?

I used Lapse It Pro to take the photos.

1. I got 20,000

2. 10,000 were 0KB so I'm guessing they didn't record. I'm checking with Lapse It for an answer.

3. PowerDirector simply pops up an error when it hit the first 0KB image. Then pops up a the same message expecting me to click through 10,000 times, so I go to task manager and end the process.

4. Since the error message doesn't actually tell me what is wrong, it took several times before I went to the folder to look at the files and discovered 0KB.

5. Tried moving the 10,000 images from the Media Library to the Timeline and it just sits there. No error telling me I can only have 2,500 images in Media Library at a time.

6. OK, so now and I work through this, I might go and try adding 2,499 images to Media Library at a time to move to the timeline and try to create a video that way.

7. So I followed your link and ffmpeg has a bit of a learning curve as do most of the other programs. (Lapse It crashed and I can't get into the gallery option to have Lapse It render my time-lapse.)

All we wanted to do is experiment with doing a time-lapse. Now, the frustration is to the point where it isn't fun anymore.

Thank you for the information. This is just venting. And it helped because I have a PowerDirector option of trying 2,499 at a time.

I use Gopro Studio for making video of timelaps or many stills
I was in the process of buying a new PC, unfortunately (probably because of lag of components) the dealer are not able to deliver.
however, the can get me this machine, but I'm confuced if this will be a good fit for power director, as the taget for this machine is gaming ??

MSI MPG Trident A 10TG 1283MYS
desktop, Core i7 10700 / 2.9 GHz, RAM 16 GB, SSD 1 TB, GF RTX 3060 Ti

Any suggestion will be very appreciated.
Quote Thanks for that! You've got the project aspect ratio set to 4:3. Change it back to 16:9 and you'll see all the familiar profiles

Spot on... :
Thanks that was what I in some way had changed.
Quote Johnkl, since you say all default profiles, any chance you simply have "Custom" selected in the Profile type: drop down.

Jeff

No not "Custom", the Default for MP4 (AVC) drop down only shows:
MPEG-4 640x480/24P
MPEG-4 640x480/25P
MPEG-4 2K 2048X1536/25P
MPEG-4 4K 4096x3072/25P

and that's all ??
After the latest opgrade in PD365, I seems to have lost all the default profiles in the produce sections.
Only the porfiles I'we made is there.
Is there anything that I can do to get the defaults back ?
Quote The MSI Creator P100A component specs are not what is currently sold in the MSI store. Further limited to only two when I selected the U.S. region. The components are upgraded from your list and cost about $2k , sold out, and must pre-order. Apparently you can do better in the MSI global market. Your listing should work well with PD 365.

Hello Thomas

I can get it here in Europe from a local dealer.
I know that the model is not the latest, and the model P100X does really looks nice, but is way out of my reach
The P100A has following components:

Processor series 10th gen Intel® Core ™ i7
Processor model i7-10700
Processor cores 8
Processor frequency 2.9 GHz
Processor boost frequency 4.8 GHz
Processor cache 16 MB
Processor cache type Smart cache
Memory
Internal memory 16 GB
Internal memory type DDR4-SDRAM
Maximum internal memory 64 GB
Memory layout (slots x size) 2 x 8 GB
Memory connector 2x DIMM

Storage
Total storage capacity 2000 GB
Optical drive type No.
Built-in card reader
Storage media HDD + SSD
Total capacity for HDDs 1000 GB
Number of HDDs installed 1
HDD capacity 1000 GB
HDD interface SATA
HDD speed 7200 rpm
Total capacity for SSDs 1000 GB
Number of SSDs installed 1
SDD capacity 1000 GB
SSD interface type PCI Express
SSD form factor M.2

Graphics
Discrete graphics adapter
On-board graphics card
Discrete graphics adapter model NVIDIA® GeForce RTX ™ 2060
Discrete graphics memory type GDDR6
Discrete graphics adapter memory 6 GB
On-board graphics card, model Intel® UHD Graphics 630

Network
Ethernet LAN
Ethernet LAN data rates 10,100,1000,2500 Mbit / s

Best Wi-Fi standard Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
Wi-Fi standards Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)

Bluetooth version 5.1
Gates & Interfaces
Number of USB 2.0 ports 3
Number of USB 3.2 Gen 1 (3.1 Gen 1) type A ports 4
Number of USB 3.2 Gen 1 (3.1 Gen 1) Type-C ports 2
DVI port
Number of HDMI ports 1
HDMI version 1.4
Number of DisplayPorts 1
DisplayPort Version 1.2
Ethernet LAN ports (RJ-45) 1
Microphone input
Headphone outputs 1
Line out
Line-in
S / PDIF output

Reason I ask all theese questions regarding if PD365 will run perfect on this machine, is because its a jungle to find a the "right" choice for PD, without breaking the budget.

I know that the I7-10700 is maybe not the latest and fastes CPU, but I was also looking at a i9-9X but found that it was marginal performance differences, with I7 using less power.

//John
I'm in the process of buying a new gear for primary Video editing.
I am looking at this:
MSI Creator P100A
Intel Core i7-10700 2X8GB
1TB SSD + 1TB HDD
RTX 2060 VENTUS XS

Has anybody came agross this ? and would it fit PD well ?

Thanks
John
Quote Have you looked at Windows' Photo app? Like the new Video Editor, it comes free with the operating system and they've kind of flown in under the radar. Look for them under the Start menu.

The Photos media catalog isn't nearly as sophisticated as, say, Adobe Bridge or the Adobe Elements Organizer, but it offers a number of ways to manage, search and organize your photos and videos. And it's free -- which is always a good place to start.

Hello Steven
Thanks for your reply. I was NOT aware of this, and I have installed it from MS, and it seems to work, and could suite my needs, however when I'm going to use some of my photos/footages I normally highligt them in the "tool" and then drag them to PowerDirector. This does NOT work with MS Photo, it says "copy" but nothing comes to the timeline !
Actually works with other video editors
Hi Guys

I have a little "off-topic" question. I'm strugling with finding a good media management tool.
I have 50000+ photos and 10000+ video clips, that I want to organize in date order.
Until now I have used SonyPlayMemory Home, that realy satisfy my needs, but with that many photo and video clips it's starting to
loosing tumbnails, and I need to rebuild the database, and it takes loooong time. Its not that stable, and sometimes it simply does not startup
I have also used Adobe Bridge, but the date feature are not really that good. Otherwise a fine choise.

The freeware "digikam" is also nice and works fine, but it cannot import from my different cameras...
I would like to use just "one tool" for importing and organizing

So, what are you using for "media management" ?

What setting and where did you change to "point to the new location"?

Any chance your shared media pool between workstation and a laptop is using a shared \\ UNC path in the address? I've seen that do some strange things with PD.

Jeff

I changed the "project settings" in the setup menu, and then copied all the files to the new location.
But, strangly enough the setting did change back to the original location and the files in the new location dissapered ??

The Media pool are on a removeable USB3 drive. My idea was to have the project files settings on the same drive

What setting and where did you change to "point to the new location"?

Any chance your shared media pool between workstation and a laptop is using a shared \\ UNC path in the address? I've seen that do some strange things with PD.

Jeff

I changed the "project settings" in the setup menu, and then copied all the files to the new location.
But, strangly enough the setting did change back to the original location and the files in the new location dissapered ??

The Media pool are on a removeable USB3 drive. My idea was to have the project files settings on the same drive
Quote I've not encountered PD deleting any PDS files with one possible (and still unexplained) OneDrive incident in 10 years.

I'm not sure why you want to move hundreds of project files from one drive to another, but it seems like you may want to copy all of them to a USB flash drive so that you'll always have an offline backup copy, and then paste copies of the projects in the new location.

If PD is deleting the moved project files somehow, you can at least restore them from your backup.

The simple answes are that i want to be able to use the same project on two pc's that share the same media pool. a workstation and a laptop
Quote The issue of the project files can be easily fixed. Open the old pds file, make any changes on the timeline or none at all. Do a Save as, not a Save and enter the new save location for the pds file and add say an “n” at the end of the filename to distinguish between the pds file at the old location and the pds file at the new location. This is the correct way to move the pds files as I have to open projects in previous versions of PD and also work on them in newer versions of PD to answer users' project issues on this forum.

Do the above for all the projects. You can now delete or move all the old pds files and only the new renamed ones will be accessible.

Thanks Thomas
I have tried this, but I have several 100's project files
Quote This sort of confirms my earlier observation that PD may delete project files on its own accord. I have tried to replay what you describe, but cannot see anything wrong in the behavior of PD.
When you write, it seems to delete the file in the new location”, what does that mean? Is the file gone when you try to locate it with (e.g.) the Windows file explorer, or does it vanish from the My Projects Room?
It would be good to understand what you encounter and maybe share it that via a screen recording?

Yes, the file is gone in Windows exporer
Quote As per earlier discussion in this forum, PD keeps track of projects and project-file locations in a sometimes unexpected way. I have learned that when you know how PD keeps track, its behavior is a bit less unexpected.
What I have seen is that:
- PD remembers (only) the projects it saved and it opened. It maintains a list in a file called c:\Users\%userid%\AppData\Roaming\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\19.0\UserConfigure\ExpressProjectList.ini
- Apparently all only those projects that are listed in the above .ini file and if they exist, are showed when you open the My Project Room
- note: the .ini file is updated when PD is closed, not earlier. So, if PD aborts, the file is not updated.
- note: you have some influence on what is listed in the My Projects Room: remove the project (project not visible anymore and removed from the .ini file), or hide project (project is not visible, but not removed from the .ini file and thus listed again the next time you restart PD and open the My Projects Room).
- note: when you save a project at a different location, PD will remember the new place the project (same name) has been saved to. It will not automatically remove the former project from the Room, so both can together exist in the My Projects Room. This of course can be a bit tricky if you want to work at the latest version of a project. So maybe it is good to remove the older version from the My Projects Room and remove or rename it on your disk?
- note: saving an empty project (nothing in the timeline and the media room) is recognized and the My projects Room and the above file are not updated.
- note: the recent projects list in the file menu is a separately maintained list and may contain projects not listed in the My Projects Room.
- During the opening of the My Projects Room, PD will check whether the files listed are indeed available. If not then it will remove them from the list. This is why you will miss projects in this room when you have moved the .PDS files to another place. Changing the entries in above mentioned file to make them point to the new location(s) may solve that problem. I did some testing and it works, but be careful to do that e.g. without typos.
- I have noticed that PD sometimes deletes .PDS files from my disk that are not listed in the .ini file. This is of course a deadly sin and both unexpected and undesired behavior. I have no hard evidence, as it is a bit tricky to test it, I have not done this yet.
- After you have opened the My Projects Room and PD has checked the existence/availability of the files, and you then change the name of a file and/or move it to another location, when you try to open the project, PD will give a message that the file is broken and …. then will abort or crash without any further notice! This is of course a bug the needs to be resolved.
- Opening a project file from its new location, is no problem for PD. The name and place will be recorded in the .ini file. When media files have been moved, PD askes you where to look for these files. When the project is saved again, (and only then!) PD will know where to look again. (as explained by Optodata too).
There are many more “cache files” maintained by PD. Likely all to give the user a better experience. But when this user is going to change folders and file locations this better expeience service goes astray. What I take away from this is, that I better make careful disk and location planning in advance and do not change that (too much). And when I do change, I kind of know what to expect.
My suggestion to Cyberlink is, to add some words in the PD user manual to explain

I have "only" copied my .pds files and not changed the media location. In my system PD actually delete the files form the new location (files that I have copied to here)
I'm afraid that I have ended up in a mixed scenario. PDS Files on the old location and new ones in the new location. ?
I have also tried to open and old PDS from the old location, and the saved it again in the new location, this seems also to delete the file in the new location
Thanks for your answers
I have PD19, and it seems to work just fine. But I have changed the location of my project files (pds) from the document location on my "C-drive to another disk. I have copied the pds files from the old location to the new and changed the setting to point to the new location.
So for so good... With at fresh copy of the files from the old to new location PD can open the project (and show all the files). But after a restart of PD, the new location does only contain the files that originaly was save here, and not the files I'we copied ???? (Shows only the files that saved here)
This is really strange ?? Are the some kind of caching or ?

What to look for, as mentioned multiple times, the only really effective way to get PD to play 100% nicely with the dGPU in a dual GPU laptop is to make sure one can turn off the iGPU in BIOS. It's up to you if you really need the dGPU or if the iGPU will meet your needs.

This user found that out too: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64906.page#post_box_295819 and returned one unit for another to get the BIOS option.

Virtually all the lower end laptops will not provide such BIOS feature as it requires additional circuitry. Best to understand what you are purchasing or make sure you have a reasonable return policy.

Jeff

That's understood, however how do you in real life check that, when buying from a website ???
The suggested DELL is not what I would (think) consider "low end" laptop, as it is a Workstation.
I'm completly open for suggestions :

If by "work" you mean will PD launch, yes, more than likely, no real reason it should not. If by "work" you mean you will have Nvidia encoding and decoding, my experience is no you will not.

Additionally, my knowledge from a demonstration of the Dell Precision 3xxxx series they did away with the added circuitry to disable iGPU in BIOS to make a more competitive price point, so that proven option is gone with that model. I'd check with Dell and verify, they also showed that the 7xxxx Series still have it.

The "Run with graphics processor" contextual menu will be there, and allow selection of "High-performance NVIDIA processor”, but PD will simply launch with the iGPU.

But yes, you have a newer processor and the Intel UHD Graphics 630 which may meet your needs. The Quadro P620 is very reasonable for CAD work though.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff.
I do not have any preferences for DELL, I bigh be better looking for another that support GPU
But it a jungle out there, an dI have no idea what to look for :
Quote Nice. Adding to the base configuratio, came up with $1672 minimum for the added cpu, memory, and their suggestions. You really need to change that 500 GB Hard Drive to a 500 GB ssd and add a second hard drive in my opinion which will also add to the cost. You can get away with less.

The one I have configured actually has:

Type Hard Drive
SSDStorage Capacity, 512 GB SSD Form FactorM.2
My no second drive, as I have all my data on external drive and NAS'

One Questions: Does the NVIDIA Quadro P620 work ok with PD ?
Quote There are other options for that SFF workstation. There is a low profile GTX 1050 Dual slot dual fan unit available on Amazon. Better still is the Quadro P600 which uses the GP107 Chip, the same one in the GTX 1050. It has a lower TDP of 40 watts, lower passmark of 3223, and low profile single slot which should fit perfectly in that SFF case: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Quadro+P600&id=3729 . Quadro P600 link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9DWQM6?tag=videocardbenchmark-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1 .

The gtx 1050 low profile is available in 2GB and 4GB memory size and cost less. The PC power supply will need to be replaced with a beefier one. For the price of a video card the OP can save say $1000 on a new laptop and have good performance on his SFF pc. Why not….

how about this:

Dell Precision Mobile Workstation Model 3541

Processor I7-9850H
Clock Speed2.6 GHz
Max Turbo Speed4.6 GHz
Number of Cores6-core
Cache12 MB

Installed Memory size32 GB (2666 MHz)

NVIDIA Quadro P620
Graphics memory4 GB
Go to: