Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote This is an observation and I haven't tried to quantify the performance loss, but it's a little more than anecdotal.

I shoot and compile videos of football games. To make the final version I add a running clock (minutes and seconds) and scores and team names. I use a pre made MP4 video of a running timer that I created from a Sharper Turtle video a few years ago in an earlier version of PD.

I wanted to improve the running timer so I started creating a new version, this involves multiple tracks, and will end up with nearly 8,000 one second clips, 800, ten second clips and 120 one minute clips, tedious but it works is infinitely customisable and once produced can be used in multiple ways. Basically just using copy and paste and minimal editing, it isn't hard just time consuming.

Currently I have created 50 minutes of the timer and the performance of PD2024 perpetual is awful, editing any of the one minute clips takes a long time and the display jumps as PD processes the change.

Much slower than PD19.

It's nice to know that the timer creation tutorial was the genesis for something useful to you. I hope Cyberlink will make rendering faster as they address the missing tools that we users want restored.
Quote Yesterday, I opened my Cyberlink PowerDirector 17 that I bought and installed on my laptop back in 2019. But today, the prompt encouraged me to update to the new CyberLink 365 2024 Windows. I did it sort of " just because", but I may need to roll back to my previous version. I just want to Import a .MOV file that someone sent me from their iPhone, and tag it with a logo. But right now, this thing is trying to get me get some sort of Premium upgrade in order to pull-in a .MOV file. I think I could import-in a .MOV file this with my previous version of CyberLink PowerDirector without having to purchase the Premium version, so how can I roll-back to my previous version of the software?

If you are on a Windows PC and have a restore point prior to the upgrade you can move back to the earlier restore point. It's not an elegant solution but it might work.

Jim
Quote I've got a video uploaded to Powerdirector 365 and on the timeline. I've also got a image (png file) uploaded and on the timeline. I want the image file to slide up from the bottom. I understand how to do this with text but is it possible to get a image file to do this on my video. It's a video of a construction site and the png file is the construction company logo. Thanks for any help guys!

For PD365 an 2024 Here is one way:

If your video is on track 1, put your image on track 2.
Use the magnifier to below the preview screen to zoom to 25%
Resize the image and drag it off the screen
Turn on the keyframes and move to the start of the image.
Set a position keyframe byclicking on the diamond to the right of the value "Position" in the left panel.
Move the playhead a few seconds into the image.
Drag the image where you want it on the screen. It will set another keyframe.
Now the image will move on the screen and stay there for the duration of its appearance on the timeline.
(I'll dig into the new interface and see if I can find an easier way.)
Quote I assume, Jim, that you have requested the same yourself through rate us......? ;

Yes I have. Every voice helps.

Jim
I've been making tutorials for PD for many years, and I've never seen the level of negative response to a release like this one. I've recommended many who visit the SharperTurtle channel use the "Rate us and provide suggestions" so that the developers understand the importance of returning the functionality to the program that we enjoyed before.

I do think it will require patience. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to institute changes without introducing all kinds of new problems. It's a lot of code to modify.

Hopefully, we will see functional updates in the weeks and months ahead.
Thanks for pointing to my tutorial. I have asked Cyberlink to bring this feature back. It's only one of many changes the user community is asking to make. Hopefully they will reinstate it.

Thanks a bunch! I went to the help menu but did not explore it as I should. My detective skills are definitely deficient today. --Jim
I've had some subscribers (of the Sharper Turtle) inform me that they can't find Photo Merge in this new version. I can't seem to locate it either. Has it been removed or replaced? Thanks.
Quote I have photo director 365 and have a phot where the person's clothing has a stain that makes it look different than the rest of the top she is wearing

I want to use clone to make that spot look like the rest of the top

Here is a link to a tutorial about that.
Quote In PD you can choose between 1, 2 or 4 Fill colors types Colors for Font, Backdrop and Border to achieve a color gradient.
For a background there are only the 1 fill color boards. Is there also a possibility (or workaround) to create a background with 2 or 4 color gradients in PD?

I haven't found a way do internally design that kind of background yet. You could use a graphic editor like PAINT.NET (free) or Photoshop Elements or Cyberlink's PhotoEditor. It would be a great addition to the program to include this kind of feature. If someone finds a way to do it internally I'll be very interested.
Quote Hi,

Just sharing here!

I watch these PD tutorials.

If you have a site where I can see your work, I would love to know - PM me!

Otherwise:

PDU (PowerDirector University)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1NjLNgrF6yn_GINPcfrwQ

PowerDirector Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCISisIcMZ-9F9UDRBPRWdYg

Sharper Turtle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6a0_l0sZGJNO0FXqaCB4KA

Rich West Productions.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm_7Ketjq5kTxjQerueCOpg

All have different styles and share great info, and inspiration!
Everytime I have left a comment - I get a response.

(World Girl https://www.youtube.com/c/WordGirl88/videos is good for PhotoDirector_
(Pix el https://www.youtube.com/user/PIXPhD/videos good for AudioDirector and ColorDirector)

Thanks for including "Sharper Turtle" in your list. --Jim
Here is a tutorial about one way to do what you are looking for.

--Jim
I'm honored that you would put Sharper Turtle in your list, and at number two. It's great to be part of the learning community along with you and the other YouTube tutorial creators, Maliek!

--Jim
Here is clickable list of tutorials you may find useful in working through all the features of PowerDirector.
--Jim
Quote They look good Tony. I beleive Jim also showed how to create a timer. After creating a few he use copy/ paste and continue until he finished. He must have taken it down.

There is some frames mismatch between 29.97 and 30 Fps.

Here is my last attempt at making this as painless and portable as possible. May not be stopwatch precise, but it's usefu. It's still on YouTube.
--Jim
Quote Hi Mike -

That "rollover at 60" is the thing that makes your game timer more challenging.

Yonks ago, before there was a time stamp effect in PDR, PDtoots had requests for ways to create on-screen timers. At the time, the best thing I could come up with was using titles as Jim (Sharper Turtle) showed in his tutorials. Attached is the "how to" doc I made back then. We distributed these as produced videos but the longest one was 20 minutes, which is useless if you have a game that goes for 75!

The simplest things to do - like using the Time Stamp or NewBlue timer FX - even doing a screen recording of an on-screen stopwatch - ALL have that "rollover at 60" limitation.

So - if you want your timer to go... 59:58 - 59:59 - 60:00 - 60:01 - 60:02 etc (to avoid the rollover) you have to make it manually or find a windows stopwatch that can be customised so it counts only minutes & seconds without jumping from 59:59 to 01:00:00

The (sort of) good news is that once you've bored yourself witless copying & pasting titles, you can use it over and over (using the produced file).

Take a look at this packed project - it's only titles - & you'll see how "easy" it is to manufacture once you have the formatting sorted out.

Cheers - Tony

I agree with the "bored yourself witness" with the copy and paste of developing one of these countdown titles from scratch. If you need one really badly you can design something impressive, but the cost in time is huge. There sure is a market for more third-party products that could be designed with the flexibility you're looking for. --Jim
Here is a tutorial on one way to do that with wave editor.
--Jim
Quote I have a mono audio track and want to make it stereo.

Thanks

Glad to see all the useful advice here!

I just had an issue where raw video only had left channel audio and a silent channel on the right. Fixing it with Audio Director was easy. (See here.) It doesn't produce stereo, but it fills both tracks. Too bad the Audio Editor in v. 17 is so limited.
--Jim
Quote PD16 Newbie --- My 5D camera puts out images at 5616 X 3744 pixels (3:2). What is the best way to make these images useful in PD16. Is there an easy way to change the aspect ratio to fill the PD16 screen without having black sections on the sides?
Thanks,
Steve

There are two ways to convert the 3:2 to a 16:9 image.

1. You can put the image in the timeline and then edit it using the PiP designer. Resize it as you like. If you want to fill the screen with the image. some of it will be outside the margins and not visible.

2. You can put the image in the timeline and then use the crop tool. It will automatically make the screen image fit the width. You will need to crop part of the top or bottom, but it's as easy as dragging a box up or down. Here is a tutorial about that. This method will create a copy of the image in 16:9 and save it to the hard drive and to the media room. The first method avoids the copy. I find the second method faster.

--Jim
If you don't mind foregoing a transiton, you can do this with keyframes. Use the PIP designer on each clip and start each one off the screen. Then use keyframes to move them to meet at the middle. I can produce a short tutorial for you if that would be helpful.

Here is one way to do it using masks and keyframes.
--Jim
Go to: