Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
With the most recent update it ended up corrupting all my face tags and I lost them. Restoring from backup didn't fix it. It'd be nice if they were saved as metadata in the images rather than in some separate database.

I started redoing tagging and hit this again, ended up just not finishing. It sucks that I can't search by face but I don't have the kind of time to sit for a minute or two on every tag for tens of thousands of pictures.
For reference, I just tagged five faces and it took 1:45 not counting the time I was clicking - that's timing from the point where I click the person's name to the point the tag is saved and I'm allowed to click another name. That's an average of about 21 seconds to apply one face tag to one photo for one person. I feel like that's a lot.

I haven't timed one of the operations where I uncheck one face out of a group of faces and try to apply that.
I have about 15K photos in my collection and also see a lot of slowness. PhotoDirector appears to re-validate that all the photos it is attached to are still available during startup. Face tagging, though... wow, that is amazingly, painfully slow.

Detecting the face tags is actually pretty fast for me. What is super slow is the saving part: Whether I just click a button with the name of the person associated with the face or enter a new name, it can take a minute or two to just save one face. It is way, way worse if face tagging thinks that two different faces from two different people are the same. For example, a "group" of two photos, one of Person A and one of Person B. PhotoDirector thinks these are both photos of the same person. It's not, so I uncheck the photo of Person B, then select the name of Person A to assign to the remaining checked photo of Person A. Doing that will peg my i7 processor for between five and 10 full minutes, to the point Windows thinks the program is being unresponsive and asks if I want to kill it.

In fact, I'm typing up my response to your post right now while I'm waiting for PhotoDirector to come back from one of these Person A/Person B operations. I was able to fire up my browser, search for this forum, log in, respond here, and PhotoDirector 8 is still eating 30% processor, nearly 2GB of RAM, and is entirely unresponsive to clicks. I will just have to wait.

I've got the latest patch that was just released; I excluded PhotoDirector from antivirus to ensure it's not slowed down; I have no idea how to speed it up. This is pretty much my only complaint. I can even live with the startup time if the face tagging didn't totally tank the thing.
Another follow-up: I found that if I mount the network location as a network drive then this doesn't happen, or at least it hasn't happened in the week since I've tried it. I've run face tagging on ~14,000 photos and the folder names haven't gotten corrupted yet. I'm still doing some work on the library (testing different functions like creating virtual photos and such) to see if it happens again, but so far I'm having more luck with the network drive approach.
I selected "Keep in current location" and nothing else - no "exclude duplicates," no processing options, nothing. Just get the photos in.

The import process worked fine when I ran it initially. I got the photos in, everything looked OK. It was after closing PhotoDirector, logging out, and (the next day) logging back in and opening PhotoDirector again that I saw the corruption.

To be honest, I only noticed it after running Tag Faces on the folder tree. It may have been there prior to that, but it was after that process when I saw the wrong folder names.

The post you noted doesn't seem to help me in this case. I only have one project I'm working with. PhotoDirector has correctly been re-opening that project on launch. It's just displaying names wrong in this project, is all.

I luckily haven't done much in this project beyond the initial import and attempt at face tagging. I may try a brand new project and be slower/more deliberate about the steps I go through to see if I can come up with a known way to replicate the behavior.

I wish there was some sort of database consistency check tool available. I feel like this could pretty easily be rectified with something like that.
I take it back. Being on a virtual machine did not fix the issue and I've re-submitted my ticket to support.

I was able to reproduce this very quickly on my virtual machine setup, but it took several days before it appeared on my physical machine. I'm now looking at a stack of four incorrectly named folders sitting in my folder list, just like in my previous screen shot.
I contacted support about this, and for me the problem was that I was running the software on a virtual machine rather than a physical machine. I'm not sure why or how that affects things, but after installing the software on a real, physical machine I was unable to reproduce the issue.
I'm running into the same thing on a fresh install of PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 on a fresh install of Windows 10. I had downloaded it for evaluation prior to purchase and installed it on a clean VM for the trial, so I don't think uninstall/reinstall will necessarily fix it - there's been no upgrade, no other software installs, nothing on this machine.

I have noticed that the names of the folders in the folder list aren't always correct. I've also noticed that they may change to become corrupt (or become correct if they're already corrupt) based on whether I start a new virtual copy of a photo or try some edit operation.

I've attached a screen shot.

In my case, the folder name always becomes "Pictures" - like the name of the parent folder. My folders are all, in reality, named after the year of the photos they contain (1976, 1977, etc.).

Note my pictures are stored on a network machine, not on the local hard drive. I don't know if that has anything to do with the issue.
Go to: