Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Hi,

Don't know why it's happening but can you try launching Task Manager [Ctrl Alt Delete together] after you have closed PDR and see if PowerDirector16 is still active?

If it is, you can kill it by selecting it and rt click and then End Task.

See if that does the trick, instead of having to shut the system down.

You cannot have concurrent sessions of PDR which is why other versions will not launch if PDR16 has not shut down properly.

It doen't answer why it's happening but it does confirm that PDR is not shutting down properly.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

I've been doing this when the problem occurs (thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of that). Indeed, when the problem occurs, I find in task manager that the program is still open. I don't kno whwy, but it is. Closing it there, as you suggested, resolves the problem. Thanks again.
For clarity, the waveforms of purely audio clips DO display properly. It's only those associated with video clips. In my case, I use mostly .MOV video files. But I see others seem to be having the issues with other formats as well. Detaching audio/video does not solve the issue. Only leaving the program then coming back and reloading the project does. And that only makes already-added clips display properly.

I saw the failure with A/V clips as well as pure audio clips, but in both cases, it was always when I was working with duplicate file names. Any chance you could be working with duplicate filenames? But this almost sounds like a different issue than I was having, because no amount of leaving the program and then coming back helped in my case.

No, my files are all uniquely named (sequentially, by my cameras). The only time duplication occurs - on the timeline, at least - is when I split clips. But they are still from the same source file and the symptom is present even before splitting or modifying in any way.

Though I was using the program an hour ago and the waveforms were working fine. So it's an intermittent issue, evidently.
Once I close PD16, it refuses to open again until I restart my computer. When this happens, my earlier versions won't open either. Does anyone have a clue what's going on?
Quote I am used to video editing where in addition to audio level faders (sliders for volume control) for each audio track there is a master dB audio level to adjust total mixed volume. Where is that in PowerDirector, I am not seeing that and if it is missing that is pretty much a deal breaker for my buying it (right now I am using the 30 day trial version). I even downloaded AudioDirector but that is only for audio and does not import video, and anyhow the master audio level slider/fader for a video project should be in a video editor (in this case PowerDirector).

The master volume is the speaker icon beneath the preview window, under the little window that displays the time code. See the yellow circle in the attached screenshot.
Quote Since I upgraded to PowerDirector 16, the audio track does not display the wave line most of the time. This is crucial to my editing, and I have had to revert to PD 15 to get any work done.

Either fix this or give me my money back. The software is useless to me without all it's functions.

I'm having the same problem and it's very annoying. Being able to see the waveform is important to my editing. It worked OK in every version from PD12-PD15.

I updated to PD16 several days ago and the only time the waveform shows in video clips is when I close the program and re-open the program and project, at which point all video clips already on the timeline display the audio waveform. But newly added clips still do not.

With PD15, the waveforms would sometimes appear only after I stretch or shrink the timeline; then they were there to stay. But that doesn't work here. Please come up with a fix for this.

For clarity, the waveforms of purely audio clips DO display properly. It's only those associated with video clips. In my case, I use mostly .MOV video files. But I see others seem to be having the issues with other formats as well. Detaching audio/video does not solve the issue. Only leaving the program then coming back and reloading the project does. And that only makes already-added clips display properly.
Accidental double post. Sorry.
Quote hi, there.

Quote ... I then produced my video using the XAVC S format which actually worked and produced video WITH sound. However, I don't think this format can be uploaded to sites such as YouTube ...

i know for a fact YouTube will take the XAVC-S MP4 and MXF containers. (sorry. update 4/6/17)

p.s.

whenever enquiring, attach a DxDiag.txt of your baby.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

Wait, XAVC-S is an MP-4 format? Awesome. I had no idea. And YouTube recently stopped accepting uploads in MPEG-2. So this knowledge just saved me from having to purchase a separate format convertor software! Thanks!!!
Thank you! Hopefully this means we can start using GIFs now. Before, any GIF added to the timeline would go on for a virtual infinity, rendering it useless.
Quote Recently I've been uploading a training series for a local business. I had no issues loading the first 4 episodes, but now I'm getting an error message on a couple of the episodes I've tried to up load.

The message states that Cyberlink was unable to upload the video. I've rebooted my lap top and it will let me load an episode but then not another.

The episodes are various lengths, 6 min to 22 min. I've loaded several successful. I've tried cutting the errored videos in case that was it, but still unable.

Thanks for any help.

Zane

I've been having
the very same problem for the past couple months. However I am NOT using
PDR's YouTube uploader. It turns out that (at some point in the recent
past) YouTube stopped accepting videos in MPEG-2 format, which is the
format I ALWAYS rendered my videos to because offers the highest
resolution output PD15 has that's compatible with YouTube [or so I
thought... see edit below]. Well, years ago I used the Windows Media
format, but that doesn't fill the viewing window.

For years now I've up-loaded my YouTube videos in MPEG-2. But
suddenly, that no longer works. Figuring out that this is what's going
on was an extremely frustrating process, but I eventually discovered
that to be the problem.

EDIT: I just learned from another thread that XAVC-S is an MP-4
format. Armed with that knowledge, I don't have to purchase the Prism
file convertor software I was about to waste money on! Anyway, if you're
still having problems - and if you used to render your videos in MPEG-2
- try the XAVC-S and you should be good to go.
When using the motion tracker with text, it would be really nice to have the option of leaving the tracking cursor on the object, rather than it only existing while the tracking is being established. The cursor, not the ugly yellow highlighting circle.

It would also be awesome to have the option of a line/pointer that runs between the tracked point and the text. That way when I'm using text to call attention to something, it can actually point to/identify the thing I'm trying to call attention to.
Another thing that would be really nice:

When you trim a clip by grabbing the END and moving it forward or backwards, once you let go you get the options "overwrite", "trim clip", "trim clip and fill gap" and "trim and move all clips". But you don't get those options when you trim by grabbing the START of a clip (unless it conflicts with another timeline object). It would sure be nice not to have to manually fill the gap every time I shorten a clip from the start. Especially considering I do it many, many times per edit.

EDIT: Actually, it seems that sometimes it works as I'm requesting and other times it acts in the manner I described above. So I don't know; maybe it's a bug. I can't figure out what's different between the two cases.
I just checked again. What's happening is that the little information box pops up. That's when the scroll wheel deactivates.

EDIT: The same happens in PIP Room.
The mouse scroll wheel doesn't work right in the Title Room. In other areas, such as when I'm scrolling through the title effects, and so on, the scroll wheel works great. But when trying to scroll through Title Room, if I pause for even a moment, the scroll wheel becomes inactive. So then I have to click on a title to reactivate it again. But then another momentary pause and the scroll wheel is once again deactivated. Very annoying.

I'm running Windows 7, if that matters.
I'm always finding things I wish PD did better. Some that come to mind at the moment are:

1) Allow me to manually reorder the items in my library. I often wish I could move the files I've already used to be all together, that way I can more easily find which files I have not yet used in my timeline. So, manual control over the position of media in the library would be a huge help.

2) Give us better control over volume levels in the time line. I frequently adjust clip volume levels from the timeline view and it is extremely frustrating to do so. I click on the volume node and - even if I move my mouse extremely slightly and slowly - the volume level jumps wildly. THEN it almost never stays where I put it. Immediately after releasing the mouse button, the volume jumps to some other level. So I'm forced to spend up to a minute in some cases fighting to get the levels where I want them.

3) It can also be difficult to adjust clip speed. In power tools, under speed control, I very frequently adjust clip speed. I try to use the slider and it's very difficult to get any fine control over it. So it often takes me way too long to move the speed from "1.000" to "1.270". I use this function all the time; it shouldn't be so cumbersome.

4) Another thing regarding speed control: Please eliminate the extra step required to enter the speed adjustment mode. When I click the power tools button and select "Video Speed", there is no reason I should have to go over and click "Speed Adjustment". Since there are no other options under "Video Speed", GO to the video speed controller when I click on it.

Though I find a lot of little areas where improvement is welcomed, I do love my PD! Thanks for the great software.
I had to manually copy the files from the older PD files. I really wish the installer would search for older versions and copy the custom and downloaded templates, transistions, etc... But once I figured it out it wasn't too troublesome.
Quote Is it also for PD Ultimate 64bit?

It seems to be.
I just wanted to mention that I came here to find a solution to a glitch that happened several PD15 uses ago and persisted until just now. The glitch is not listen in the original post, but installing the patch solved my issue. So I don't know if it's by luck or if the patch accutally addesses the problem I experienced. Either way, after the patch, operation was restored to normal.

The glitch I had is that several of my button went crazy and somehow hid themselves behind others. See attached screen shot. Note, the affected section is highlighted with a yellow oval.
*sigh* The audio problem just happened again, even with the "keep audio pitch" unchecked. And when it happened, ALL the other symptoms showed up too.

I'll try to drudge through this project because I really need to get it done. Then I'll revisit these topics and start again by uploading a fresh project with all the files packed, showing the entire gamut of symptoms.

Until then, thanks again for all the help.
Quote: Ok. Thanks for sending this over!

Here's a clickable version of the *link* in case anyone has trouble copying and pasting (the forum is a real pain sometimes!)

Also, this is clearly a different version of the project than you recorded. That had a separate audio track while each of these clips has it combined. I don't see anything unusual right off the bat. For example, if I move the clips apart and place the scrubber in the gap, there's no sound or video showing up.

Are you saying that if you do that with this exact same project as it currently exists, that you see video in the preview window like you showed on your screen recording?

No, this particular video only demostrated the audio issue. I'm trying to isolate the propblems so I can to get a better grasp of exactly what triggers them. This particular one does not exhibit the "clip acting as if it's un-edited" symptoms. If the other problems persist I will make another demo showing what's going on.

Also, the other symptoms never showed unless a clip is split and manipulted. And, I think, sped up as well.

Thanks for you time.
Quote: I reread your last post and saw that this was just one about the speed/audio issue. I think Jeff has cleared this up - so would it be possible to pack and share the version that you made the screen recording of?

There's got to be more content in the timeline that was shown on the recorded video...

I promise I checked and there was no other clips below. There were only empty tracks below and after. I'd rather not pack this particular project. But when I get a chance, it'll throw together another demo with clips I don't mind sharing. I'm working through a project now so I'll have a good idea of whether the problem persists after working around the audio/speed issue.

I've been using PowerDirector for about months now and am aware that higher number tracks take center stage. I never have any issues even remotely similar with PD13.
Go to: