Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm up to 17,100 pics with most having faces tagged. Before I start a session I reboot, shutdown background programs like backup, and get a big drink. Face Tagging still takes forever but PHD8 works. Previous versions would take forever then die. I hope future versions continue the improvements.
Thanks for the reply. From your response I figured out why my Face Tagging was not working. I went to "Customize Toolbar" and turned on the "Face Tag Tools". Then I was able to turn on the "Face Tag Editor" on the tool bar. Now face tag works, for old tags and new.
Trial version PhD 6.0.5703.0
Project converted from PhD 5 and Face tags can be used for selecting.
When I try to "Tag faces in photo" the message comes back that "No faces found" yet the photo was selected by a face tag. It looks like the Face Tag function is not enabled. Could this be a limitation of the trial version?

My project contains 12,384 pictures.
Got the Full version with the patch.
I believe you but the error message says the patch won't load because I'm using a non-trial version. It should say because I'm using a trial version.
Since I had less than 30 days use of PhD4 before problems occurred I was hoping to get a free upgrade to PhD5. No response from Tech Support yet.
Tried to download the Windows version and got error message that I must have a non-trial version installed and the update will not work. I have un-installed version 4 and I am using the trial version of PhD5.
Hi Donkey,

When I import pictures that were previously "Selected Pictures Export" the Original directory locations are lost because Export Selected Pictures does not save directory info. Album information is also not saved, but I Export Selected Pictures by album so when I import I create the Album to put them in. It would be great if Album and original directory info could be saved.

On the face tagging, once the selected pictures are imported, run face tagging on them and all the face tags will miraculous return. You will also get a lot of "2" and "unknown" tags that have to be cleaned up but that's easier than starting from scratch.

A trick I've learned is when I have a lot of pictures to tag with the same people I temporarily rename the face tag to "1", then when you select a face tag it appears at the top of the list and is easy to click on. When I finish I rename the face tag back to the person. Also when you plan to up load to Facebook use the persons Facebook name and they will be tagged in the Facebook Picture.
It has been my experience that when my picture count reached 1951 Project "Backup" did not save face data. When my picture count got to 4478 "Export Project" did not save face data. This would also corrupt my project data and I could not open it. Tech support is working on this.

I am using PhD5 with 11,776 pictures tagged and faced. Export Project and Backup still don't work but I make a copy of the whole project subdirectory each time I quit. Export Selected Pictures works and saves tag and face data. See my other posts for details. Good luck!
I've been working with PhD5 for about 4 hours and I like it. It seems to be very stable, has not crashed and opens every time. I've imported and face tagged about 50 pictures and now my total is 10,064.
Backup does not save faces.
Export Project does not save faces or about half the pictures.
I make copies of the project for my backup.
What a pleasant surprise! I downloaded it and tried it on my Main project of 10,020 pictures. It ran a conversion program but came back with an error code that it could not translate Face data. I tried another copy and got the same result. I looked at the Face data folder and it had the same files as PhD4 so I deleted all the files in the PhD5 face folder and copied the files from the PhD4 face folder. Guess what? I now have face data on all my pictures.
For two days PhD has worked. I've imported, tagged and faced about 900 pictures to where my new record is 10,030. I shut down like normal and made a copy. Now neither the main project or the copy will open. Neither will the previous two copies. I have to go back to copies in the 6,000 range to successfully open a project.
I watched memory usage when opening different projects and it looks like the successful projects slowly build up to 300mb while the projects that crash slowly build to 300mb then start grabbing large chunks (100-200mb) until memory usage reaches 930mb, then crash.
There may be a limit of 1 gb on memory in my PC. I'll look into that.
30/8/2013 - Failing to get my main project open, I started with a blank project and started to import the pictures I had saved with tag and face data. When my total picture count hit 1951, Backup did not save face data. When I got to 4478, Export Project would not save face data. When I got to 5861, the project and a copy of the project opened. I ran Tag Faces on the last group of pictures imported, shut down, and made a copy. When I came back the project would not open and the copy would not open.
1/9/2013 - My new project still will not open, but my old main project with 9144 pictures opened. Made a copy of it and the copy works. Tagged some faces, deleted some duplicate pictures, imported a few pictures and tagged faces on them. Seems like PhD is working but I don't dare try to Backup or Export Project. I think that corrupts large face databases. Still waiting on Tech Support to figure that out.

I have increased my preview cache to 32gb, I don't touch anything until the program stops loading, and I turn off face tagging before I shut down. And then I make a copy.
I tried opening my main project this morning, like I do several times a day, and to my surprise, it opened! I Exported Photos in approximate 1000 picture groups, until I got 9,180 saved with tag and face data. I then tried to Export the project but that failed to save face data. I used Backup and when finished there was no face information in the backup. And now the main project will not open. Still waiting on Tech Service.
I do have a Support Ticket in Tech Support. They have been very cordial but can't figure out the problem. When I updated my graphics driver at their suggestion, things seem to work as far as opening projects, but Project Export and Backup would not save face data. They had me re-install PhD (same version but a newer build). Since then every Project I open gets corrupted. I've lost all copies back to a project where I have less than 800 pictures.

I am waiting on a new release before I start building back my main project. I will use the Export Selected Photos capability that I just posted about.
Select pictures, right click on picture and pick Export Selected Photos ( or go to File/ Export Selected Photos), on the Export Photos Menu pick your location and sub folder, pick "Use unique names without warning", and most important pick Naming Format "File Name". If you selected all your Project pictures by selecting Pictures All, then Ctrl A, you will get a copy of all your photos that include the original name, tags you assigned, and faces you picked that are "People" in the jpeg file details.

Here is the best part, Start a new project, and import the file ( subfolder where your new pictures are located). The new project contains all the pictures with the tags. Then comes the best part. Select all pictures, then click on "Tag Faces". The program will run and then come back with a message that no faces were found. But check out the Faces list and you will find that all your face data is restored to your Project.

I did this with 8,430 pictures, the only problem is that I had not selected "File Name" so I lost all my original picture names. Further test on smaller projects with "File Name" proved successful.

This is how you can combine projects and keep all tags and face data. I wish I had known about this last week before my large projects were corrupted. I would have saved pictures in groups of 500 - 1000 then I could reassemble my main project. This might be a good use of Albums. One down side is that you do lose your original Folder, but I include the folder as a tag on Import.
Is there a program that can recover a project that does not open? What program can open the *.db files in a project? PhD pop ups a message that the project is being checked, but then it crashes.

Project Copy #9 12,240 pictures started crashing after I tried to backup project, and Export Project (failed to copy face data) using PhD4 v3926 that Tech Support had me to install on 8/22.
Project Copy #8 9,094 pictures opened but after trying an Export Project ( failed to copy face data) will no longer open. It did successfully Export Selected Pictures (7 pics)
Project Copy #7 8,430 will open but I don't dare try to backup or Export Project.
I have not lost any pictures but if I start with copy 7 then I have to import, tag and face about 400 pictures again. And it looks like the odds are good that the new copy (10?) will fail.

So that's why I'm looking for a stand along program to check and fix a project.
Well the fix did not last long. On the 3rd try it crashed. I tried 6 more times, doing various things. Then I had to create a dump file for Tech Support. With the Task Manager going, I started PhD to get a snap shot of the process. Lo & behold, it loaded and ran just fine.

Since I suspect a problem with the faces database (Export and Backup still don't work) I select "Unknown Faces" and since I don't have any, no pictures are displayed. Then I shut down. This is working right now.
Tech Support told me to update my graphics driver and that seemed to have fixed the problem, at least PhD has started twice okay.
Submitted a question to tech support-
Question ID = CS001285895
Disappointed to hear about possible size issue. At 1.2gb and 7,800 pictures I'm only halfway there.

Tried to insert the dxdiag.txt but got an error on submitting. Will try to sent first page.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/16/2013, 12:30:38
Machine name: REELTRIPP
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130708-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: p7-1254
BIOS: Ver: HOL_715.ROM vHOL7.15
Processor: AMD A6-3620 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7666MB RAM
Page File: 3475MB used, 11856MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
Go to: