Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Hello all,

My current editing laptop is about 6 years old, and giving me tons of issues. I am looking to make a purchase here soon for a new editing laptop. In your experience, is there anything you recommend that is "must have", when considering which laptop purchase to make.

thanks!

There are a lot of variables here. Firstly, will this laptop be primarily used for video editing? I have PD18 loaded on my laptop that is used for a combination of things, including video editing. I have an i7 CPU, plenty of RAM, and a good Nvidia video card. PD 18 works very well on my system, but because my GPU drivers are gaming drivers rather than studio drivers, my GPU only does about 25 percent of the work during rendering. I'm perfectly happy with that compromise, because the gaming component is of equal importance to me. My render times in PD are typically about 50 percent of the duration time of the project. I'm fine with that. So, in the end, it comes down to budget and what you'll be using the laptop for. I would say that if you're looking for a computer that is dedicated to video editing, get a tower rather tha a laptop.

I did this a few months back, and the GPU now does about 25 percent of the work during the 'Produce' stage. Would gamers have to do this for every game though? That would be very boring.

Then the Moderator's answer above should solve your problem.
Quote PD 18

I wanted to ask about the best way to Sync several different video clips to 1 song for a music video

In this case you will have many videos that need to be edited to sync with 1 song. You may have 10-15 brief video clips

I know how to do the sync audio function for 1 video and 1 audio but I assume this is way more work to get done

Hope to hear about the best way to do this

We'd need to know a lot more about the nature of the video clips that you're trying to sync. Are these shots of instruments that form part of the main video? If so, did you do a play back of the track as a reference when you were shooting them? Or are these random shots that you're trying to sync to your video at specific points? smile
Quote Hi all:

I need to move an entire clip (in this case an audio clip) a small amount. I've tried to select the clip and then use the hand icon but this is too heavy handed and doesn't allow fine adjustments. I need to be able to move in very small amounts.
ALSO, I don't want to shave anything off the clip, just move it.
I've looked online and can't find anything regarding this.

Anyone?

It sounds like you're needing to enlarge the audio timeline in order to manipultae it in smaller incriments. . Go to.... Preferences...Editing...Enlarge Timeline....at least I think that's what it's called. It will allow you to move the audio in much smaller incriments down to one tenth of a frame.
Quote PD18 is very slow for me, while the new Filmora is extremely fast. I'm not sure why.

I have:

i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor
16 GB RAM
and GTX 1060 6GB video card

Is it normal for it to be so slow that it's unusable?

The answer is no. PD18 is actually very fast. It would help to know the details of your project...HD, 4K, filters being applied etc. Also, there may be something going on with your configuration. In order for the techie guys here to help you, go here and produce your tech specs.

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/80133.page#post_box_329489

Those are thumbnails, not frames. If you look the size of them, as a pseudo time scale, they change as you zoom in on a timeline. Usually at full zoom a thumbnail will span 2 frames or so. On a zoomed out timeline, a given thumbnail can span several real frames, 30+. The extent will also change if you have "Expand timescale for audio track" enabled. So obviously, they don't ever really align with a real preview frame very well. They are simply meant for easy scene recognition, not critical placement of timeline edits.

Yes, PD has been like that for, well, ages. Some users over the years have found it beneficial to turn off continuous timeline to not constantly generate the updated thumbnails.

Jeff

I know you're correct, Jeff, and maybe I just never noticed it before. Thanks for responding. cool
I notice a strange quirk in PD18 that I haven't noticed before. It doesn't impact the editing or the rendering, but I never noticed it before. I find that the thumbnail images are just a little out of sync with the actual project as it plays back in the preview window. By that I mean that if you are for example setting up to add a caption that starts on the first frame of the next image in the TL, when you set that up, PD18 plays it perfectly in the preview window, and during the render, but if you look at the images in the TL, your caption looks like it will come up at the wrong point and not at the point where the new shot starts. As I said, PD will play it back perfectly in the preview window, and it will render it perfectly, but it looks wrong in the TL. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this. cool
Quote ===========================================

Hey everyone, i have just had a rather frustrating issue come up with power director 18.

I have never encountered this problem until now,

I finished the video i was editing and go to render it, the video
was approx 21 minutes long, however, it's actually only rendering 3.34
minutes of the video.... Can someone help me figure this out please?

i tried saving the project once it was finished to see if that
would change it and it didn't i also added a timeline marker and
highlighted the whole video adn tried to produce it that way (on the
rendering screen it was showing the whoole video) but once it got to
3;34 mark again it didnt render the rest. I have shut down the program
and rebooted and even done the same with my computer and still had the
same result....

I then tried just uploading straight to youtube and it done the same thing again.

Please someone help if you can, I'm so frustrated with it honestly and feeling a littel defeated

Thanks

============================================

You'll need to post your technical specs in order for the techies here to try and understand what's going on. On a very simplistic level, does your computer have sufficient disk space to record your project?

You still didn't open task manager and see what GPU (if any) is used during rendering?

Also as I have stated before, if your laptop doesn't have a BIOS option to turn off the Intel GPU, then it will not pass trough the nvidia NVENC encoder, and will use Intel's version of hardware acceleration (QuickSync).

Just a few "gaming laptops" have that option, probably because it's saving $12 on their hardware costs. Multiplexer circuit that is.

For the 100th time, in my oppinion laptops are worthless for video editing (especially the "gaming" ones), but, for some reason, people keep buying them for video editing.

In fairness, some people like myself own laptops because video editing is only one of the things that I do on the laptop. My gaming laptop handles PD 18 very well, and the duration of my project render time is about 40 to 45 percent of the duration of the project being rendered. Yesterday I rendered a 30 minute project in just under 14 minutes. I don't know whether that's good or bad in the grand scheme of things, but I'm happy with it, and the end result is perfect. The laptop uses a combination of my i7 CPU and my GTX1060 GPU when rendering. cool
Quote screen shot attached of my timeline. I fifnished a bunch of editing, I have only two tracks I need - one audio and one video. But there are two empty tracks that simply do not get removed when I do "delete empty trakcs"). But they ARE empty?

(WHY oh why is there not a simple "delete track" option which just asks me to confirm if there is content on the track? CyberLink - why do you have to make the easy stuff difficult?)

And as you can see I am stuck with a Voice Track, title Track and Effects Track which I have no use for, but I can't remove them - god only knows why ... see my feature request in a separate thread. I have more useless tracks I don't even want than ones I do want!

ANYWAY - why can't I delete empty tracks?

I think that this is a weak area of the PD software. The user should be able to select which tracks he or she needs at the start of each project, and add to them if necessary. I don't know why Cyberlink has not addressed this issue.
My Laptop uses a combination of my i7 CPU and my GTX1060 GPU when editing and rendering. It all works really smoothly, and the renering is fast and accurate, but I'm curious as to how PD18/Windows decides which processor handles which part of the process?

Thank You for your help if this is the case should I turn the mic off on my laptop first and then use the lapel mic. I bought a USB to 3.5mm jack USB dongle will that work to should I get a new mic. If II need a new mic what to you recommend.

Thank You Again.

Yes, you need to override your laptop mic and make sure that the audio is being recorded from the lavalier mic. A video camera with a mic input would be the desired way to do this, rather than using a Laptop. As soon as you connect a Lavalier mic to a video camera, the onboard video camera mic is automatically disabled. As for which is the best lavalier mic to get, that comes down to budget and needs. I'd Google 'Best Lavalier Mics' and look at what's out there.
Quote when I record a video in PowerDirector 18. It sounds like I am talking in a tunnel. Below is a link for you to hear. Can someone please tell me how to fix this.

https://youtu.be/v0gPKK_MU9A

Although you're wearing a lapel mic, the audio sounds like it's being recorded by the on-camera mic, and not the lapel mic. I would start by checking the lapel mic connectivity to your video camera.
Quote Hi

I am currently using PD14, but its starting to show some glitches.

I want to upgrade, but I don't understand the difference between PD18 and PD365?

Please can someone explain?

Thanks

Marc

PD18 is a stand alone product on your Desktop/Laptop...an updated version of PD14. PD365 is a subscription service product. If you are a casual user of video editing software, then PD 18 Ultimate is a great choice. If you're a heavy hitter and you need/want all the bells and whistles, and want to get every update as they come out, then 365 is the way to go.
Quote How long should beginning and ending titles be in seconds?

Warry gives you some very good pointers. Your opening title sequence and end credit sequence should fit the rhythm of your project. If you're looking for an answer based on television shows that you've watched over the years; then I can tell you as someone who was a television director for 16 years, that an opening title sequence was typically 25 to 30 seconds, and an end credit sequence would be under 30 seconds for a 30 minute show, and under 45 seconds on a one hour show. These days, the end credit sequence is pretty much non existant due to the fact that most networks will 'squeeze and tease'. In other words, shrink the outgoing credits, and hilight the incoming show, accompanied by a voice over. Do what feels right for your project, and read aloud any captions that you put up, so that you know that your viewers have the time to read them. Good luck.laughing
Quote I recently got a great deal on a gaming laptop: Asus , with intel i7, 16 gb ram , Not purchased solely for powerdirector, but I thought this would work well for running the program, however, not so.
I get a lot of lagging when doing things like, splitting a clip, or even just moving clips around. It lags, sometimes crashes, I get the "program not responding" message often.
So, I'm looking to buy a new laptop, that will run powerdirector 18 smoothly, and have plenty of storage space. It actually does not have to be a laptop, could be a desktop as long as it comes bundled with the monitor, and my budget is around 800.
Anyone have any suggestions? What would you buy? Are there any laptops that may come bundled with powerdirector 17, or 18?
Thanks for your time, and suggestions!
D.

There are far more 'techie' people than me, but I run PD18 on my laptop and it runs very smoothly. That said, any gaming laptop is likely to be configured so that the GPU is only triggered when a game is being run. In my case, I have a GTX 1060 graphics card, which runs my games really well. PD18 doesn't see it at all, so when I edit or render, I'm using my i7 CPU. As I edit HD rather than 4K, I get a great result when editing and rendering, but I'm not sure how the i7 would handle 4K work. As a general rule, a Desktop will always be a better option for video editing. As for which one to get, over to those with more knowledge. cool

Thanks, I'll take a look. Any idea how I can check which codecs are being used and supported?

AAC, FLAC, ALAC, WMA, WAV, M4A, MP3, OGG

Thanks, I'll try it out.

Any ideas on the second issue? WIth that one, there is no video recording, just an audio recording and then putting images and text onto the TL. As an example, when I play the video within the editor from the start, a sound effect will come in at say 23 seconds at the time that I want it. If I start to play the video from say 15 seconds in (because I've finished the first 15seconds and don;t need to keep watching it), the sound effect will appear at 25 seconds instead of 23. I haven't moved or changed anything, other than starting to play the video at a different place. At the moment, I'm having to watch the ENTIRE video every time I make a tiny adjustment which is taking forever!

Thanks for your help!
Glenn

I think that performing the change for the first issue will probably resolve the second issue....ie making sure that the TL framerate and the audio framerate are the same, and making sure that the auido codec being used is one (like MPEG) that PD is compatible with.

Do you know how do I set the timeline frame rate on Audacity?

Thanks,
Glenn

I'm sorry but I've never used Audacity. You should be able to change the audio properties of an Audacity file though. Just make sure that the audio framerate is identical to your video, and then select that rate in the TL.

Ahhh, I never thought of that. I've been recording at 50fps but the timeline is set at 25fps. If I changed the timeline to 50fps, should that solve it?

Thanks for your reply.

Glenn

Your audio and video must be set at precisely the same fps, and the TL framerate must also be set at that rate.
Go to: