Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: I reread your last post and saw that this was just one about the speed/audio issue. I think Jeff has cleared this up - so would it be possible to pack and share the version that you made the screen recording of?

There's got to be more content in the timeline that was shown on the recorded video...

I promise I checked and there was no other clips below. There were only empty tracks below and after. I'd rather not pack this particular project. But when I get a chance, it'll throw together another demo with clips I don't mind sharing. I'm working through a project now so I'll have a good idea of whether the problem persists after working around the audio/speed issue.

I've been using PowerDirector for about months now and am aware that higher number tracks take center stage. I never have any issues even remotely similar with PD13.
Quote:
Quote:
Very interesting, I think you just solved that issue for me! I suspect the other problems might still persist. But then again, maybe the glitch in the keep audio pitch thing is somehow causing the other glitches. As far as I can tell, they only seem to arise when the audio/speed issue is going on.

I too interpret the "keep audio pitch" - since it's a sub-feature of "keep audio" - to only affect the clip when the speed is up to 2x. But, in reality, it acts as though the "remove audio" option is selected when the speed is 2.000x or above. That definitely seems like a bug to me and not the intended implementation.

Either way, you helped be work aroud the audio issue so thank you very much! I don't know why I didn't think to try that. Now if CyberLink would come up with a patch to fix that it would be awesome.

Have a wonderful day

I don't think that's a bug, just how it's implemented. One can adjust audio in different ways during a speed adjustment. Much harder to maintain pitch (frequency) when audio speed is changed, hence the narrow adjustment range. With the box unchecked, slowing down lowers the pitch, speeding it up raises the pitch.

I guess they could implement a dual default, mantain pitch by default within the adjustment range (current) and then anything outside that adjustment range keep audio but change the pitch (unselect keep audio pitch). I see it simply as a setting that the editor should be cognizant of during his edits depending what they want. One desire the chipmunk effect in .5-2x range or not.

Jeff

I get what you're saying. But that's why there's an option to not keep the audio. The keep audio pitch option is subset under "keep audio". If it's not a bug it's a very bad and non-intuitive way to handle the 'command tree' (for lack of a better term).
I've been watching and learning. Thanks for the great tutorials.
Quote: I think that's it. Whether the box is working as intended is debatable, but unchecking the Keep audio pitch does bring back the sound on the 3rd clip.

I would interpret the control as only being able to keep the pitch within the range of 0.5x - 2x and you'd get actual speed audio outside of that range rather than ending up with the audio muted.

Very interesting, I think you just solved that issue for me! I suspect the other problems might still persist. But then again, maybe the glitch in the keep audio pitch thing is somehow causing the other glitches. As far as I can tell, they only seem to arise when the audio/speed issue is going on.

I too interpret the "keep audio pitch" - since it's a sub-feature of "keep audio" - to only affect the clip when the speed is up to 2x. But, in reality, it acts as though the "remove audio" option is selected when the speed is 2.000x or above. That definitely seems like a bug to me and not the intended implementation.

Either way, you helped be work aroud the audio issue so thank you very much! I don't know why I didn't think to try that. Now if CyberLink would come up with a patch to fix that it would be awesome.

Have a wonderful day
Quote: There's no way that PD can play any video as shown at 2:12 in your screen recording when Track 1 is empty UNLESS there's some media below Track 1. It's simply not possible. The recording shows that there are 5-6 additional tracks below Track 1 but they're offscreen.

I think it would help tremendously helpful if you could pack and upload your project to OneDrive or DropBox. Go to the File menu and choose Pack Project Materials... and choose a cloud folder. When the upload is finished, please share the folder and post the link. I can provide you with a link to a public OneDrive folder if you don't have one readily available.

I know it appears as though there are more tracks but they're empty. Only tracks 1 (video with audio) and track 2 (audio only) are populated.

Alright, with your instructions, I was able to pack and upload another quick demo. Thanks, by the way; I didn't know about that feature! Here's a link: <a>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r8ftvpa7aiwn8ph/AABWItKmX6ZM9rp30-Vhl7Nda?dl=0</a>

This links is to a folder containing the packed project and the source clip. I applied the clip (very short) to track #1 on the timeline three times. The first time is normal speed. The second time is at 1.820x speed. The third occurance is set at 2.090x speed and is missing the audio. It's somehow muted and cannot be unmuted.

Thanks again for everyone's time.
Quote: Hi Steve

There are definitely things going on in your recorded clip that don't make any sense. My first guess is that you have more clips way down on track 5 or 6, and whatever is on those tracks will always play over any and all media on Tracks 1-4.

Scroll vertically down on the right side of the timeline and see if there are any media clips there, and delete all of them, then try working with the clips in track 1.

Good suggestion. But I assure you there are no other clips in the timeline, neither below nor beyond.
Quote: Hi Steve

I glanced at your other thread and it looks like you're running into quite a few problems. On the audio issue you're describing here, PD is operating exactly as it's supposed to. PD14 (and 13 and many more earlier versions) only allow audio when the clip speed is between 0.5x and 2.0x.

The audio is ALWAYS muted when clips are set to run faster or slower than those speeds, and here's a direct quote from the Help file's Video Speed section:

Audio setting:

Remove audio: select this option if you want to mute the audio in the entire video clip.

Keep audio: select this option if you want to keep the audio in the edited video clip. Select the Keep audio pitch (0.5X to 2X only) if you are changing the speed of the video. Selecting this will stretch the audio to match the new video's length, minimizing the warping of the sound as the video speed changes.

I appreciate your response, but I think you're confused. In PD13 it's true that audio is always muted when the clip is sped up above 2x. But in PD14 (and this is one of the features I highly value... when the feature is working) there should be audio present - even above 2x - unless you check the box to remove audio. The part that you made red above is simply pointing out that above 2x, the audio can no longer be made to maintain the original pitch. So, as a result, the audio pitch will be raised more and more towards the "Chipmunks" range the faster the speed is increased.
Quote: Hello, StevenFrench73!

Something just occured to me as I read your post. Check to see if the clip was highlighted in the "media Library", you may be watching the preview rather than what's on the timeline. Also, check to see if the "scrubber" is progressing along the timeline as your clip plays. If it isn't, then you are definitely seeing in the preview screen, the clip in the library, rather than the clip in the timeline. At the bottom-left of the preview screen(should still be in the same spot in PD13 or PD14) is the selector for Clip or Movie. "Clip" will play from media library or highlighted portion of clip on the timeline, while "Movie" will play the entire video on the timeline, complete with edits and added transition effects.

Cheers!

Neil.

I'm defintely viewing from the timeline and not the media library. I never have problems viewing from the library, only the timeline. Thanks for trying though!
Here's a short sample video clip. And also, the screen capture of the same clip being run before and after speed change. It shows everything I did.

And if you were to right click on the sped up clip in the timeline it'll
show the clip being muted (but grayed out so that it cannot be
un-muted). This happens with .mov ; .mp3 and all other formats I've tried.

EDIT: I added the .pds file. I hope that's what you were asking for.
Clips lose audio when sped up faster than 2.000x : http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/45938.page#237543

Please forgive me for posting another topic surrounding my group of problems. But the more I dig into it the more it seems that the speed adjustment feature may be at the root of my issues. With that in mind, I was concerned that the title and content of this topic might lead some down the wrong path in trying to point me to a solution.

In short, both topics are valid but come at what's now appearing to me like a possible common cause from different angles.
I started a topic about some serious problems I am having with clips on my timeline going crazy. Here is that topic (which goes more into the other issues that seem to be initiated by the clip speed changes. I also posted a link to a video showing one of the symptoms in action): http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45933.page . Since it seems most likely to happen after I adjust the speed of a given clip, I thought I'd approach this from a different angle in case the title and wording of that topic leads people away from what may be the real root of the issue. So please forgive my posting a second topic.

In short, almost every time I adjust the speed of a clip above 2.000x the clip mutes and nolonger has audio. And this happens even though the "keep audio" box is checked. When it works properly (rarely) the audio remains but is simply at a higher pitch than normal when sped up above 2.000x . Frankly, the problem MAY occur when adjusting speed within the 1.000-2.000 range, but I'm not sure. I THINK it only happens above 2.000x speed.

Adjusting clip speed is also causing other strange and frustrating problems in a large number of cases. And since I generally speed up every clip I add to my timeline this bugs render the program almost unusable for me.

I "upgraded" from PD13 to PD14 about two weeks ago. 13 worked great on my system. 14 has always been plagued with this set of problems.

I'm running PowerDirector Ultimate 14.0.2019.0 (16 bit). I've tried reinstalling PD14. No change. I then installed the two beta patches (v2207 ; v2019). No change.

Windows 7 , 16GB RAM

Any ideas? I hate the thought of having to revert back to PD13 and losing all the great new features of PD14 (and all the money it cost me). Thank you very much for you time.
Ok, the patch did nothing for my issue, which I suspected would be the case (as it didn't mention anything like my problem being addressed).

I just found that the PowerDirector Screen Recorder makes my computer run ridiculously slow. Anyway, I used it and recorded a video showing what is going on. I hope I'm allow to post the link here:

https://youtu.be/5dxWfIahe6c

*) You'll notice at the 0:31 second mark, the scrubber transitions from one clip to a completely different one, yet it continues to play the first clip.

*) At 0:38, I move the second clip to reveal the fact that, even with the blank space there, it continues to play the first clip as if it was never cut and the remainder deleted.

*) At 1:42, I've moved the second clip out PAST where the end of first clip would have been (if the first clip was left intact). I then play so that it can be seen that the second is indeed not different.

*) At 1:57, I shorten the second clip only so that there's less in the way.

*) At 2:10, I put the scrubber in the blank area again to demonstrate that PD14 still acts as though the rest of the first clip is still there.

*) Finally, at 2:37, I demonstrate again that when the second clip is placed on the timeline where PD14 somehow still thinks the first clip resides, it no longer plays the second clip and, instead, acts as though the first clip was still there.

I hope this clearly demonstrates the problem I keep running into.

Thank you very much to anyone who reads/watches this. Any help will be very much appreciated. I'm at my wit's end over this.
I'll try installing the new beta patch you mentioned. If that doesn't work, I'll record it as you suggested.

Thanks again.
A little more information:

It seems that the problem is indeed made worse every time I use the speed adjustment. Especially when I've split a clip then alter the speed on any segment of that clip.

An example of my typical usage: I first increase the speed of a given clip. Then I edit the clip by removing unwanted segments. But then I go in and alter the speed again on any of those segments and the problems start going crazy on me.

This is how I used PD13 all the time. So this shouldn't be an issue.
PepsiMan, I appreciate your response. Yes, I just confirmed that it is patch V2019.

I reinstalled PD14 before I ever tried the patch (2019).

One thing that may or may not be of note is that I never physically UNinstalled PD13. I downloaded PD14 and, when I installed it, it "uninstalled the old and installed the new". The only reason I didn't manually uninstall PD13 is that I was concerned that I might lose all of my custom transitions, titles, etc...

EDIT: Another possibly noteworthy point is that I apply the video speed modifier (increase speed) to almost every clip I add to the timeline. The speed increase may be anywhere from about 1.10 to 10x or higher. But it's usually around 2-3x speed. This is why I had hoped that patch v2019 might solve the issue becuase it mentioned solving bugs regarding the speed adjustment and the playhead sometimes jumping around (I was also having the issue where, during speed adjusted clips, the playhead would often jump all the way to the end of the timeline).
CS2014, Thanks for the information! I too was tired of the sample clips being there every time. Though, if you open a project in progress and click "no" when asked if you want it to merge with the existing library it'll remove the sample files when adding your own. But I was still trying to figure out how to make them stop appearing there in the first place so that they don't have to be deleted every time I start a new project.

Thanks again.
Help! I recently "upgraded" from PD13 to PD14 and have had nothing but problems with it. I'm running Windows 7 with 16GB RAM on a several month old computer (PD13 ran just fine). I have version "PowerDirector Ultimate 14.0.2019.0" (64 bit) and have tried installing the patch called "v2019" (File version 2.9.1.6109).

The problems I'm facing have occured every time I've used the program now.

*) At seemingly random times, the clip I'm working with in track 1 will suddently act as though it's still in its full, intact form. It suddenly completely ignores the edits yet it will show all of the edits in the timeline. For example, sections that were cut out of a given clip will play (as if the file were uncut), regardless of what the time line shows. Even if a completely different clip now resides at that point. Nothing resolves the issue except to completely remove every trace of the affected clip from the timeline (maybe from the library too, I'm still not clear on that) and redo it all.

Several other problems piggyback themselves onto this one, including:

*) When the problem happens, all other tracks below the affected one on the time line become blacked out (video) and mute (audio tracks).

*) Sometimes, the affected track suddenly creates an unusal link to other tracks and clips in the timeline (but not necessarily at the same point in the timeline), so that if any one of the "not-linked" clips gets moved, deleted or modified in some other way they ALL experience the same action. Again, only removing the clip on track one breaks the link and allows me to continue.

*) Adjusting the speed of an unlinked audio track sometimes alters the placement of videos tracks on the timeline (even though there is no timeline conflict). Again, this seems to be a symptom of the random linking of unrelated clips.

*) Sometimes the video speed adjustment has no effect. This issue may or may not have been solved by the patch I installed. I haven't seen it since then (but I installed that patch only yesterday).

So I went from PD13 to PD14 in what was supposed to be an upgrade. But it's been mostly unusable and very frustrating. HELP!!!

EDIT: By the way, I did try re-installing PD14 but that made no difference.

EDIT EDIT: Closing the program and opening from the last save does not clear up the issue either. Only removing every part of the affected clip (no matter how many seperate parts it may now be in) fixes the issue (until the next occurance). This often leads to having to redo quite a lot of work.
Go to: