Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I might be doing something wrong:

In order to see a music track I have toward the bottom, I remove all blank tracks on the timeline.

That leaves tracks 1 & 2 (both video + audio) and track 3 gets removed with the shortcut menu.

That allows me to see the lowest track I use without scrolling. (I use the track with the two musical notes for my background music.

After additional editing, I noticed track 3 is added back!!! It happens over and over, I remove blank tracks, then later notice track 3 is back. I haven't figured out when it appears again, but it is there within 5 minutes after I remove it.

I noticed it's always there when I re-open PD10 with the same project, then I remove it, it's there next session (and returns at points during my edit session.)

I'm guessing it's a bug, but it's annoying because I have to scroll down to see my music track when it's there, but when I remove blank tracks, I can see all my working tracks.

Any known workarounds?
Quote: Hi
I seem to have an issue where, unless the preview is stared form the beginning, the audio track is offset by about 10 seconds (starts about 10 seconds into the song). This is a real pain when you want to edit a specific piece and you must preview the WHOLE film just to check if it is right. Odd thing is though, this only occurs on one of my videos while the others are perfectly fine.

If someone could explain this and (possibly) give a solution that would be great.

EDIT: I just found that the music is playing at the correct point when started from the beginning and ends where it is cropped (don't understand why it has been cropped since I have not done so) but when started from another point the music starts later but continues past the cropped point.

A couple things to try:

Lower the preview resolution. In my experience, the less PD has to do while previewing, the more likely it is to keep things in sync.

When out of sync, press the spacebar twice (try waiting different intervals from "tap-tap" to "tap... tap" where you wait a second.) This stops/restarts the preview, and allows PD to re-start at the current point with audio & video.

Sometimes I've had it do better when the preview window is smaller. (I'm guessing similar to lower res.)

PD is juggling lots of data/files during preview mode. Depending on the hardware, source files, resolution it can struggle keeping up. I think it prioritizes keeping the video moving... audio is secondary.

Anti-virus software can slow things down, low memory can slow things down, lots of background apps can be an issue.

Different formats for audio work better than others. wma works well for me, but some formats are tougher on PD in preview mode.

Finally: Just for fun - When I'm doing a serious session, I reboot my machine just before editing. I want PD to have max resources because my machine was great when purchased, but now is maybe middle of the road (with a tailwind...) but realistically it's on the older, underpowered side.

Hope some of this helps.

Quote: I think this might be what you're looking for: there's an editing preferences option that will keep the various tracks linked as you edit.

See the attached.

Jerry,

Thanks for the response.

I do have that checked. It works within the existing track, but ignores the ones below in many editing cases (depends on what you do...)

In other words, when I edit the video on track 1, with this option enabled (checked), it does NOT adjust the tracks below.

Multi-edit is close, but there are cases where it doesn't do what I'd expect either.

If I figure it out I'll let you know what I find.

Don
I have about 13 segments in my current project.

The audio is on a separate track (track 2 audio).

I select the audio segment, and I can easily set the volume level to 65 (from the default 50) for one segment.

But of my 13 segments, about 10 of them should be at 65. (A few need to be different..)

I can easily go into the Audio Mixing Room, and select each segment, then edit the box so the volume for the segment is set to 65. Select next segment, repeat.

This happens regularly in my projects, where I want a set of segments at the same volume, but NOT the default.

If I select more than one segment, the Audio Mixing Room won't just adjust all of the selected segments to 65.

Hopefully I'm just doing it wrong. It's doable manually, but takes an extra 5 minutes when I really just want to select 10 segments and set them all to 65. It's a pain if I figure out later those segments should really be at 75 or 55.

Any suggestions?
Quote: You have lock the tracks to get it in sync

I must be missing something on this one.

Once I lock the tracks, I no longer have the trim, split, modify options...

I also tried locking all the other tracks (other than my primary video) and when I snip off a half dozen frames from the unlocked, it leaves the locked tracks in place.

So far it does work when I use the split function, so that is great at the end of my segments. (Assuming all tracks are unlocked.)

All suggestions welcomed.
Quote: I don't use the trim function so sorry can't help you with that.

To achieve what you have mentioned above I use Multi-split.

1. I place the marker where I want to split the clip, then highlight that clip and all of the clips below it by dragging the mouse over everything then "multi split"

<snip>

OK... I never explored multi-split, so now I will.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Quote: You have lock the tracks to get it in sync

Do you mean if I lock all the tracks, I can still edit the video and it will keep all my relative spacing?

(I need to go read about locking tracks... I was thinking once a track was locked, it wouldn't allow any trim/split, etc.)

I'll check it out.
I'm making great progress learning about PD 10. I've also had some excellent feedback in this forum, so I'm hoping I'm just blind to something that is obvious to others.

I haven't been able to find the ability to keep ALL tracks in sync if I trim Track 1 (Video + Audio).

I have the preferences set to "Link all tracks when inserting/removing content on the timeline".
This works great, and if I trim some video, it moves all the segments to the right IN THE SAME TRACK as expected, closing the gap from my trimmed segment AND moving all segments to the left, keeping them all linked as before.

In other words, the trim acts like "remove and close gap" for the audio and video in tracks 1.

That's exactly what I want PLUS, I'd like the tracks BELOW (content on tracks 2 plus audio track below that) to ALSO move to the left IF I trim the video in track 1.

Details:

Track 1: Camera video + audio: 13 segments, back to back on timeline, with minimum spacing (linked?)

Track 2 (video): Titles that display over my video ( I also tried them on the "title" line below, same behavior)
Track 2 (audio): External sound track I recorded on computer (via Audicity) when filming video, with high quality studio mics.

Audio track (background music track)

Currently if I trim track 1, my titles on track 2 stay in place while my video moves to close the gap on my trimmed video.
But that means my title is now X frames to the right compared to before the trim. I do try to trim all segments in track 1 BEFORE adding titles, but more than once I've found a change later in the review process, and it's some extra steps to get everything back in sync.

Is there anyway lock the relative location, so if I trim the video, my titles also move to the left the same relative amount?

EDIT: If I Split the track, then I get the behavior I want. Is there any way to get the same behavior when I use the "Trim" window? Sometimes I want the option to add/remove 2 or 3 more frames later, and I don't think a split will allow that later.

All feedback, ideas and comments welcomed!

Quote: Don, yes, I'm in preview mode...I'm still creating the movie.

And sadly things are going from bad to worse as now I've got "ghost" sounds tracks in my movie (still in preview mode). I added some Magic Music soundtracks which seemed to be causing problems and after deleting those audio clips from the timeline they are still their (well, their sound is, that is...but the audio clips aren't visible on the timeline). Good grief!

I haven't used the Magic Music soundtracks, but if they are like the SmartSound stuff, it can slow things down during editing. (I only add the SS tracks AFTER everything else is in place.)

Depending on the power/configuration of your machine this may or may not help, but it's worth testing.

Save your project, then shut down PD, restart your machine. Give it a few minutes for all the anti-virus stuff to quit doing it's job, then open PD & your project.

See how the machine behaves on a fresh computer, without lots of stuff being open.

PD takes lots of resources (all editing programs do...) so a fresh boot can make things better for an editing session.

Applications working in the background can impact PD, so try it once with as much closed as possible, sometimes that makes a huge difference (totally depends on your setup and what is starting with the machine.)

All that said, the audio CAN lag at points as PD grabs all the different source files during preview. Some machines will handle this much better than others... I use the "spacebar" when it's out of sync and 99% of the time after it restarts the preview the audio is right. It creates the final movie correctly, so the preview is the issue.

Hope this helps. (Others will probably provide additional suggestions.)
Quote: The timeline can be expanded to frame level (30 frames per second). This will allow you to move the video frame by frame for syncronizing the voice to the lip movement.
< snip >

Hal

I am always syncing external audio with my video too (I'm talking, sometimes over music, so it has to be in sync.)

HalCon has it right, the zoom level changes how fine the "snap to grid" is as you drag the audio via the mouse.

It's easy to zoom with the mouse as shown in previous message. In addition, the "+" & "-" keys (plus and minus) on the keypad allow you to quickly zoom in and out. I find that faster than the mouse.

Once you're zoomed in, you'll find it easy to sync.

If you still have the original audio via the camera, then you can leave BOTH tracks ON while getting them in sync. When I get it perfectly aligned, I can't hear any echo between the two tracks, then I turn off the camera audio (check box on far left of track) and just use the external audio.

Having both tracks playing while aligning makes it simple to verify I have the audio near-perfect down to a frame. Nobody can tell if audio/video is out of sync by a frame or two. But nice to have it so close.

Hope this helps!
The first question is does this happen while previewing or after you have "produced" a video?

It's common for PD to drop sound if previewing at different points in preview mode, especially when changing between video clips (I've never used photos... but I see it as it's changing between source media.)

First thing to try when it's happening in preview mode:
Hit the spacebar (pauses), then hit it again (resumes playing). If audio is back in sync and working, it's just a preview mode thing. No stress, it happens. (Also, try lowering preview resolution.)

If it's after producing a complete video, then that's different.

A couple other thoughts, but the first question is are you in preview mode when this happens?

Don
Quote: Anyone have any suggestions for the best way to adjust audio to match video when the capture process has created an -out-of-synch clip? I have separated the audio from the video. Then my intuition was to select the audio, and use the left-right arrow keys to adjust it in small increments, but that seems to have no effect. Obviously I can slide it with the mouse, but that seems heavy handed. Any ideas for fine tuning the audio left and right?

Thanks,

Jim

I sync video with an external audio track and I was looking for the same "nudge" keystrokes.

Bad news: no keystrokes.

Great news: If you zoom in (keyboard shortcuts - Plus or Minus keys on keypad) then the mouse will let you adjust down to a single frame if necessary. The zoom level changes how much the track moves with each snap to grid. If you zoom in enough, it's frame-by-frame. If it's zoomed out, it's a second or two (exact amount depends on zoom).

I'd still like them to add the keystrokes to nudge, but the mouse works great when you zoom in enough. Using plus/minus makes the zoom adjustments easy.

I've been able to get near perfect sync in the audio, and I've found if I'm off a few frames, it looks synced (but usually get it down to one frame or so.)

I always have the camera audio as my reference, so in my case I play/adjust until they blend together, then turn off the camera sound track. You can so the same visually.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,

I'm syncing video from my camera with audio recorded on my computer, so I'm constantly trimming either the video or audio by a frame or two until they sync.

I've gotten pretty good at it, so it works fine, but a nudge/move would be even easier.

I'll try the zoom in and that will give me another option.

EDIT after trying the suggestion: The zoom in works GREAT!!!

The more zoomed in you are the smaller the "snap to grid" concept is via the mouse. I can adjust my audio clips and sync them faster than opening the trimmer or editing the audio.

I'd love a keyboard shortcut, but this is an excellent workaround for all you other novices who want finer control.

Bonus: The Plus/Minus keys on your keypad zoom in and out. (In my experience, the power users always take advantage of both mouse and keyboard shortcuts... For example: Ctrl-S is generally faster than <File... Save Project> via the mouse (and works in Excel/Word and many other products too...)

Thanks again!!!

I'm probably blind. I looked in the keyboard shortcuts but didn't see it.

I'm trying to sync some clips, one video & one audio. If I have a clip on the timeline, is there a way to select the clip, then move it a frame or two left/right on the timeline, via a keystroke combination?

Via the mouse it wants to snap to grid, but the increment is too large for me.

I'm hoping there is an overlooked keystroke combo that allows me to move left/right a frame or two at a time on the timeline.

Some graphic programs I've used (and Excel) allow "Alt-arrow key" combinations (or Shift-arrow) to move things around without the mouse. Looking for similar functionality.

All suggestions welcomed!
BTW - I purchased through downloadcrew.com and the download link was sent to my e-mail within 10 minutes.

It did trigger a "verify" call from my mastercard holder, because purchasing software from them is outside my normal activities... but they verified the transaction first, then their automated system called me (after I was already starting the download.)

It also gives me a link to "Content Pack 1 & 2" with my purchase. It's about 1.5 GB of additional content, although I assume that was also part of the bundle via Cyberlink.

Their download servers appear to be pretty strong, as the first 552 MB (initial download) is taking around 30 minutes on my DSL connection.

More news after it is installed. I'm about to edit another for my series, I'm curious if I'll notice any differences compared to trial version.
A big personal THANK YOU to members on this forum!

I'm new to CL PD, but a long time tech guy, and having so many people who assist is a major win.

No product of this complexity will run perfectly on all configurations, so having a strong community support program AND good tech support is huge. Others considering purchasing should consider this type of support a large part of the reason for choosing PD over another product. (Plus the DirectorZone site is another excellent resource, I'm using an opening title I downloaded from there, saving me hours...)

I had some minor issues with the trial version, but members always pointed me to potential solutions, and they worked/solved the issues in short order.

Now you're stuck with me, since I'm purchasing. I hope to assist a few others over time.

I'm an easy case, I'm creating a series on YouTube, so ultra HD video quality isn't critical to me, but I do intend to grow into very high production value, and I'm syncing high quality audio with my visuals, recorded in parallel with my video.

PD has the headroom to allow very high quality and the more I learn, the more I see I have lots of room for growth.

Here's a sample of what I created, with assistance from people in this forum.

It's designed for Dancers who want to understand how the music works. (I used some decent PD effects in the middle...)
http://youtu.be/bKzvyqEVdDI

Thanks again.

Don
Tony,

Thanks, that makes sense. As a long time tech guy, I'm fine buying on-line as long as I have enough data to be sure a site is real. I will try it and report back so others know how it went.

-Don
Quote: Hi there -

Downloadcrew is an authorised reseller of the download version in the UK.

http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/regional-stores/enu/index.jsp

Cheers - Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the link! Do you know if there is any negative downloading from them rather than a US retailer?

Don
I've used the trial version for most of a month, so now I want to purchase the full version of PD 10 Ultra.

Downloadcrew.com has a deal for PD 10 Ultra at $69.95, including MediaEspresso 6.5.
http://store.downloadcrew.com/p25221-cyberlink_powerdirector_10_ultra

It seems like a great deal, and around $12 less than on Cyberlinks site.

Any good or bad experience purchasing from Downloadcrew.com???

Any other recommendations for purchase?

I don't want to save $15 and have issues later but if it's legit, why waste the money.

All feedback welcomed!

Found answer in the forum when I did a Google search (LOL).

For some reason when I searched on the forum, it didn't match, but I suspect it's because I might have just searched the version 10 board.

Via Google I found this thread with the solution:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20995.page#111372

I couldn't use the shortcut in the trial version. But I renamed the "Local.ssdb" file (found in folder named in post above) and when I reopened the PD10, clicked on the SmartSound icon it rebuilt the database and all the audio was found and available for my project again.

Hope this helps someone else... Remember to do a Google search on an error message if you don't find it via the search on the board. Would have saved me a couple hours...
IMPORTANT: I'm on PD 10 trial version... never sure what is related to just this version compared to paid for version. Plus I'm ignorant as I've only used this software for 3 days so far.

I did a search and found similar issues with PD 9, but nothing for PD 10, and I didn't see any solutions to re-enable SS. Hopefully I'm just blind.

I rendered a test video and it went great.

Went back and edited it, adding some titles.

Decided to render another test version to see how would look on YouTube. Decided to lower the resolution one notch to see if it was still fine on YouTube.

Crashed on the rendering. (mpeg-2, DVD SP) - version that worked earlier was DVD HD.

Rebooted machine.

When I go to open project file, I get "... PowerDirector will ignore some SmartSound media, because it is not supported in this project." All SS related files gone.

DETAILS:
Soundsmart was supported 30 minutes ago and part of my project.

After reboot, re-opening project from last saved project file. Now gone from the project (the soundtrack I had selected, one of the free titles provided with the trial version)

When I open the SS window (little icon on the left of the editing window) there are no tracks available. Style/Song/Variation are blank (zero media) It still has the duration I used previously in the project.

How do I re- enable those tracks????

Anybody else seen this??

Machine basics:

Windows Vista Home Premium (64 bit) - SP2
6 GB ram (Under 3GB utilized when editor is open)
Latest AMD display drivers
more details available if helpful
Go to: