Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi, I have 32 bit Deluxe PD9 and I get the ffdshow codec icon showing up in the system tray whenever I play MP4's but not with flv videos.

Not sure where the ffdshow codecs came from, maybe my FormatFactory, but all I can say is that my PD9 videos play perfectly fine with ffdshow codecs no problem at all.

Stephanie.
Hi Denbigh and Everyone else who contributed to my PD9 problem here.

This is just to wrap up this thread and finalise things. I have found a 'FREE' photo organiser that looks and acts just the way I want it and it integrates into my system just perfect.

I bit the bullet and Uninstalled the offending culprit Stoik iMagic, although I still have the key code and could use it anytime I wanted in the future. LOL

Anyway, I installed the new 'FREE' program called Zoner Photo Studio and it works perfect and PD9 doesn't crackle on the timeline with MP3's ! yay

Soo, after who knows how many days sat here I have finally got everything working.

And Now Back to Designing !! l

Thanks to ALL for your input.

Muchly Appreciated.

Stephanie.

Here is the new free program:

http://download.cnet.com/Zoner-Photo-Studio-Free/3000-2192_4-75186165.html?tag=mncol;2
Just for Info...

On the insistence of my other half I Uninstalled my Stoik iMagic 5 photo and video editor and hey...PD9 is playing MP3's soo sweet again !

It was a double check.

I mean, I've gotta laugh because if I had sat at this pc for a year I'd have never ever said the problem was with Stoik !

So now I know that the problem Stoik iMagic puts on the system for PD9 and MP3's on the timeline can be removed by a simple Uninstall of Stoik.

Soo, does that suggest a culprit component in the installation files of Stoik iMagic to anyone here ?

Regards,

Stephanie.
Okay everyone, I have 'FINALLY' tracked down the software culprit in this PD9 MP3 audio crackle on the timeline.

As I said I reinstalled windows after formatting the drive yesterday and PD9 was just soo sweet.

Today I reinstalled Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10, TrakAxPc Pro, Sony Architect DVD Creator, Xara Webdesigner 6 and also VLC and still everything was sweet on the PD9 Timeline with my MP3.

Soo, I reinstalled my program called Stoik iMagic 5, which is a sort of photo organiser but you can also edit photos 'AND 'Videos...I paid for it last year and they are in Russia. [ I quite like the program ]

"BUT"....with a capital 'B'' when I checked my faithful little MP3 on the timeline of PD9...Guess what ?....

IT CRACKLED !! WHOA ! LOL

It was SUCH a surprise..My blood pressure goes up with every MP3 test I do !!

Soo, it is my photo and video organiser from Stoik causing all the problems !

Soo, what options have I got ? [ apart from uninstalling it ]...Can I track down a component it has installed on my system ? I mean if its going to be a mammoth job I can use my WAV files but I'm wondering if there is anything simple I can do that will remedy the problem and allow Both programs to work in harmony ?

I don't use the Video part of Stoik iMagic so maybe I could disable something in that part if a codec or whatever has been installed that is the culprit ?

Anyway, below is the link to the Culprit program....and I really thought it was gonna be Real Player ! Yikes..

Soo, now you all know the culprit !!! LOL

What a performance !

PS, Thanks Nina for your lovely comments, much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Stephanie.

Wooot Woooot Wahhhhh !!! NZ calling Cyberlink...Do you hear this ?? LOL

>does major dance round design room<

I've just installed PD9 onto my machine again after reinstalling XP and all the drivers and XP updates etc..

And PD9 is the 1st program to be installed back in...

And I had 'specially' saved an MP3 File on the desktop...

And....I started PD9 up and loaded the MP3.....

Tried it in the library first and it played real sweet...

Soo, wanting to bide my time I went into the lounge for 5 minutes...

I didn't really want to test the timeline again !!LOL

But, I came in here and imported it to the timeline and pressed play...

Wait for it.....

It Played Sweet and Beautiful and get this....CRACKLE FREE !! LOL >fanfare<

Soo, now I'm gonna reinstall programs one by one and keep checking on my PD9 Timeline with MP3's.

I now suspect it 'may' be something like my Magix free programs...the last one I installed was Magix Guitar Backing Maker....It needs audio and Magix are pretty invasive when you install them...But then again..so is Real Player..

But I'll be checking them after each install, one by one...

I'll give you a report in the morning...I'm convinced I'm a gonna reinstall one of these programs and get the Crackle !! But at least then I will know..

Crackle on the timeline....Can you hear it ? Not on this computer ! lol

I will report back when I've reinstalled my programs one by one and let you know if one of them makes the crackle again on the PD9 timeline.

Regards,

Stephanie.
Hi Denbigh, sorry for the delay but I've been offline all afternoon re-installing windows.

Last night I disabled all the start up items but before I got any further I was suffering conflict after conflict and then I couldn't get the items to load again at the start and then my printer failed to respond and various other problems, some that I've had a while.

I thought extremely careful about this and decided to totally re-install windows and then install the programs STARTING with PD9 so I can test the audio without any other programs installed and a fresh set of drivers and codecs.

Soo, I backed up everything on a terrabyte external drive and also created a theme file for the pc and also a bookmarks file too.

XP is up and running and all the updates have been installed to the system.

[ Gosh, doesn't the basic XP look dull ? ]

I'm currently transferring all my music and photo files back onto the pc but won't install any programs until I've installed and tried PD9 !

I'm hoping that the mp3 audio on PD9 might be perfect ? We shall see..

And if PD9 is perfect then I will install my programs back one at a time to see if I can find a culprit.

Regards,

Stephanie.
Okay Denbigh..giving it a go now..

Stephanie
Hello exVKG96..I installed Format Factory the other day and it asked during installation if I wanted to installe the 'inside codecs' to system ?

Well, I just had no idea and clicked no but I've been wondering just what they are and I've just found this info :

Warning! Format Factory installs "K-Lite Codec pack" that might cause problems with other video software on your computer.

I guess this seconds why your PD9 was crackling ! lol

I wonder what they would do on a 32 bit system ?

Regards,

Stephanie.
Hi exVKG96..I've looked in the control panel add/remove and did a pc search but I haven't got the codec pack you mention. But I googled it and it seems to be quite popular. I was sorely tempted to actually install the pack hoping it 'might' fix the PD9 problem ! lol

I'm actually wondering 'if' I need a new audio codec pack but I have no idea which one is best ? I tried the ffd show but it didn't cure PD9 crackle. Anyone know which codec pack is best for audio on XP Home SP3 32 bit ?

And to Denbigh, I haven't completed your task fully, apart from disabling the system tray start up items that are audio related.I will attempt tomorrow but I'm rather worried I might mess up the system.

But then again my other halve's nephew does manage a computer shop ! lol

Stephanie.
@exVKG96 Hi, I run a 32 bit system but I did a system search for codecs and didn't find the one you mentioned. I did however find an awful lot of codecs for both my Sonne DVD Creator and also Real Player.

Soo, as both are free I uninstalled one at a time, rebooted and tried PD9 after each uninstall and both times PD9 'still' crackled on the timeline with MP3's.

I did have ffdshow installed on my pc and I'm not quite sure what it is / for so I uninstalled that and it made no difference to PD9.

I have looked in Device Manager and Audio Codecs and I can't see anything 'suspect' there [ lol ] there's just a bunch with the PowerDirector Power Codec thingy so I left it alone.

But I did see 2 things in Device Manager 'Sound' called 'Legacy Audio Drivers and Legacy Video Capture Devices and I don't recognise the name although it could well be something that I truly need on the system for something I've got installed but cannot be sure.

Soo, I'm kinda thinking that I could go on uninstalling and rebooting and rechecking PD9 but its going to end up with a fresh windows install at this rate...le sigh

I'm still thinking about doing what Denbigh asked but the fact is it worries me that I may do something wrong and end up with a trip to the computer shop for repairs...

I will re-read what Denbigh is asking..

and talking about that I did kinda do a little bit of it this morning and I opened up Glary Utilities and when to Start Up Manager and disabled maybe 4 or 5 different start up items there that I felt I didn't need.

And the only 'AUDIO' start up item I have in the system tray is from Creative SB 5.1 that I'm using so I figure I need that..Oh...and it didn't make any difference to the crackle on the PD9 timeline..

Will re-read Denbigh's message..

Stephanie.
Hi Denbigh, gosh that last message with tasks sounds a bit heavy and beyond me ? lol

I'm kinda thinking that I don't mind using wav files rather than mp3's. I've certainly got the disc space for them and I hear what you say about audio quality but I'm convinced that the wav files sound heaps better than the MP3's from whence they came.

I do get Rich Editor on PD9 when previewing files on import.

I think that I'm kinda scared that if I go ahead and follow your instructions I might end up with a heap of computer problems ? [ I'm not an expert but sometimes my 'have a go' attitude sometimes gets me into trouble with my pc ! lol

I've tested a helluva lot of different theories with PD9 and my PC this week and although I'm now not using MP3's then I've got a system that is working with Everything except PD9 AND MP3's and I've sorted that by converting the MP3's to WAV's.

And...I've finally managed to persuade my other half to swop our speakers systems over !

So I've now got 5.1 surround sound and he's got my M-Audio 2.1's !! lol [ It's a week's trial so I'm covered ! lol ]

Anyway Denbigh, I will re-read your last message with your tasks a few times and try and assess as to whether it's something I could do without messing my pc up !

Stephanie.
Hello Denbigh, I'm back and have done as you asked.

Here is my summary :

Firstly can I say that for a week or so PD9 has been crashing now and then on start up, and doesn't fully open, ie, you get the PD9 woman in the middle of the screen and then it crashes and you have to restart. It always starts up okay on the 2nd attempt.

But what I wanted to point out, as I thought maybe it might be a piece in the puzzle is 'When PD9 crashes when you click PD9 shortcut it knocks out the Volume of the computer in the system tray. ie, when it crashes the Volume slider in the system tray goes from full to ZERO !

The 1st couple of times it happened it took me ages to find why I had no audio !! But now I'm on to it ! lol

Anyway, on to your tasks Denbigh.

I went to Device Manager and disabled Realtek audio and set the default to SB 5.1, re-booted and played the MP3 in VLC NO Problem. Then I played the MP3 in PD9 on the timeline and.......It Crackled !

I tried the same converted file as WAV and the WAV played perfect on the PD9 timeline.

The MP3 also played fine in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 HD and also played fine in TrakAxPC Pro.

Soo, I went to Device Manager again and 'Enabled 'Realtek' and disabled SB5.1 and set the default in Control Panel to Realtek and then re-booted. I also changed over the speakers from SB5.1 to Realtek.

I then played both the MP3 and the WAV in VLC and no problem. I tried the files in Sony Vegas and they were fine with no crackle.

When I tried the MP3 in PD9 on the timeline it once again crackled but when I tried the WAV it was perfect in PD9 on the timeline.

HOWEVER, when I tried TrakAxPro PC there was NO audio whatsoever. I tried EVERYTHING and the programme just had No audio and the Audio track marker wouldn't move when I pressed play !

But everything else was fine with audio including Sony and PD9.

Soo, I enabled SB5.1 from Device manager and still no sound on TrakAxPc Pro.

Soo, I set SB5.1 VX as the default once again, changed the speaker jack over and rebooted...

and Voila ! Sound was back in TrakAxPC Pro..

But....the MP3 on the timeline of PD9 STILL CRACKLES. LOL

Anyway, thats it I guess. But now I have an added mystery as to why TrakAxPC Pro has no audio with Realtek and why PD9 sometimes Crashes whilst initialising !

Ahh, the joys of computing !

Stephanie.
yes, i found that out yesterday ! lol

5 gig's of mp3 music scores and loops turned into 20 gigs of WAV files... Yikes !

But I'm totally convinced that the 'upper' end of the music quality is much better than MP3's..Just an observation.

But I've got plenty of room on my HD and at least I can now use PD9 with no issues with what I'm using.

Stephanie.
Good Morning Denbigh, okay I will try that in a while.

Currently 0730 friday and am converting a huge batch of Michael Jackson mp4's to .avi's as I thought it best to totally stick to what PD9 uses best. And on the WAV audio files I'm convinced the sound is a better quality that mp3's..

However, I will try your instructions as per the sound cards and report back later today, maybe in 2 or 3 hours.

Stephanie.
Just a word to say thank you to all here who contributed..

I have converted all my MP3 audio files for WAV files and they all play absolutely perfect on the PD9 timeline thank goodness. I also converted all my Sony soundtracks from MP3's to WAV's as they too were crackling on the PD9 timeline. My TrakAx loops were all WAV to start with.

Also I've converted a few MP4 videos to AVI files that crackled on the timeline and they too are absolutely perfect on the timeline of PD9 now. I'm soo rapt !

I'm soo grateful for this forum and I can now fully enjoy PD9 and all it has to offer without the unwanted stress of something not working right.

This has been a very good compromise and I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I was just soo wrapped up in trying to fix the MP3 problem alone.

Also a huge thanks to Bubba for suggesting 'Format Factory'. What a beautiful and efficient program and a godsend when converting masses of files all at once to any format !

Many Thanks.

Stephanie.
Okay, thanks for all of that.

Some of my music has been 'ripped' some is from YouTube and some are from online that create music scores and clips for films and videos.

And the crackle is on all my MP3's irrelavant of source but I'm now converting all my MP3 files to WAV for PD9.

Many Thanks.
** CLUE TO THE PROBLEM ? ***

I wondered about this a couple of days ago but I now feel that this info is part of the problem with MP3's on the timeline with my PD9.

On a crackly MP3 on the timeline when you press play you get a loud momentary burst of noise, like a loud noise scratch, 'PRIOR' to the track itself and then it goes into the music track and plays crackly.

On the same music file that has been converted to a WAV music file you press play and there is absolute silence for that brief milli second before the music track and it then plays perfect.

The Loud micro second of burst before the music is on all my MP3's 'WHEN' on the timeline and it is my belief that, that burst of noise, like a loud noise scratch, is perhaps a piece of the music track itself and has somehow got out of sync with the music when importing/drag and dropping/parsing to the timeline.

Thats all I can think of and it kinda makes sense to me .

And, I have to say that the only reason I am logging all this is in case some poor soul has the same problems with XP and PD9 !

Stephanie.
Okay, I've Just converted one of the Major PAIN Mp3 files to .WAV with FF and the Clip plays ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY !!!! LOL !

I mean this is crazy head basket case ! lol

Well, as I said I have downloaded 4 Gigs of music that is especially made for film scoring and video clips so I guess I will have to convert them all to .WAV files from MP3's..le sigh !

Either that or use Keyframes on PD9 !

I guess conversion to WAV files is a much needed compromise that I can live with.

I mean I truly do love my PD9 to bits ! It's better than Sony Vegas Platinum 10 and TrakAxPC Pro IMHO.

However, if any of you out there have any ideas as to how I can play MP3's on the timeline then please do feel free to message, post or e.mail with suggestions.. I was beyond despair last night ! It would be nice to know 'why' they won't play !

But WAV's are Okay !! Honestly ! lol

Kindest Regards and many thanks to ALL !

Stephanie.
I have Audacity Bubba..

But I'm just downloading Format Factory from CNET...

looks promising.

Many thanks

Stephanie.
wav files are perfect on the timeline...Its just MP3's and a 'few' MP4's

and I've just downloaded 4 gigs of mp3' music clips to use on PD9 too ! deary me..

Stephanie.
Just for information,

I've just installed an updated FFDShow XP Codec Pack like someone suggested....

and ....PD9 still crackles on the timeline !

Stephanie.
Go to: