Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: The source material won't affect it - UNLESS you've switched project aspect ratios.

Good news - you don't need to remake your templates! Here's a way to have your title templates (or others) display in both 4:3 & 16:9 projects. The tutorial is even cued at the right spot.

http://youtu.be/rxc68R1CSkE?t=4m40s

Cheers - Tony

Yes, you're right... but since I am making "highlight reels" and each of them starts with source materials filmed over a couple years. Each source is consistent with itself, I decided to switch the ratio to match the source.

(If I had thought of it, maybe that wasn't the best choice but when I loaded the media, it told me the ratio was different and gave me a chance to switch, so I did...)

I just decided to match each reel to it's source ratio, although that may or may not have been the best choice.

I appreciate the tutorial, I'll check it out.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback!
Quote: Hi UnlikelySalsero -

Something's wrong there... the two projects are the same aspect ration - right? both 16:9 or both 4:3?

Custom titles (& other stuff) won't appear unless the project aspect ratios are the same.

Cheers - Tony

Ah, I think that is the key that hadn't been discussed. Because some of my source videos are in different aspect ratios, I think one project was in one ratio and the other in another...

Still sort of a bummer, since the titles are within the safe zone, but at least I understand why they are not going back and forth.

It's a pain to remake them but I'm doing it.

Thanks for the insights!

Don
Quote: PD12 has unexplainable things already happened to me a few times.
The solution, after applying the effect does not appear, save the project and reopen solves for me in most cases.

Sorry, I didn't see this reply earlier.

So far saving multiple times, closing, merging media between project that has titles and new one which doesn't have the titles doesn't work.

I have NOT found a way to get the "Custom" titles to show up between projects.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: New projects (totally blank) don't show the custom titles. Opening existing projects doesn't show them either.
I'm working on a "highlight" reel and I must be missing something.

When I produce (render) a video that is 3-10 minutes long, PD 12 wants to render a couple hours, or whatever is the length of the longest track in my timeline view. But I'm disabling those longer tracks, just leaving one short track on track 1.

The Produce time is dramatically extended, showing a length that matches the longest track. Takes much longer than it should and the file is much larger than it should be... (blank space after the highlights). If I delete the disabled tracks, it works as expected. Quick render, smaller file size.

Shouldn't I just be able to disable the tracks?

DETAILS:
I have couple longer videos (2 hours for one, and two 60 minute cuts) and I place those in tracks 2, 3 & 4.

I split the longer ones, copying out 10 to 60 second "highlights" and place those all back to back on track 1. I like leaving the original videos below in case I decide to add or modify the highlights track.

When done finding my highlights, I turn off both audio and video on all tracks below track one (the check box all the way to the left of the video).

When I go to produce and press start, it's clear it's rendering a long video at the length of the longest disabled track, rather than just the only enabled track.

In order to get it to the length of the cuts on track one, I have to remove the long videos from the timeline. Shouldn't PD 12 ignore all disabled tracks when it produces the finished movie?

All ideas welcomed.

I did this in PD10 without issue, but I'm missing something in PD12.

I created an ending credits (title) in one project. I save it as a custom template. It shows up in that project.

I want to use the same title in another project and it doesn't show up there. I have to be missing something as the point of creating custom titles is to be able to use them on different projects (or at least that's what I did in PD10).

I created the title, did a "Save As", named it, verified it shows up under "Custom", then saved this project.

Then opened another project, and that custom title isn't showing up, even if I tell it to import all the media from the project mentioned above.

I have to be missing something simple. How do I get titles to be global across projects?
Quote: PDR12 open.
Select Preferences* and set Default Export Location
Place the video in the Edit Workspace/Media Library.
Right Click on video,
Select Extract audio.
WAV file is created and placed in the default location set up in Preferences.

*Cog icon, Preferences/File/Export folder

Dafydd

Perfect! Exactly what I wanted, I didn't think to right-click on the video in the Media Library.

BTW - I was right clicking on the audio in the timeline after unlinking... It may make sense if they consider adding that command there too, but now I'll explore the context menu for the workspace and now that I know, it doesn't bother me either way.

THANKS!
I have a live video shot with a nasty background hum in the audio track (and some other noise).

I do lots of audio processing and have excellent program for audio cleanup (iZotope RX3).

I see how to unlink the video/audio, how do I export that audio so I can run it through RX3 and then import it again to replace the original audio with my cleaned up version?

All suggestions/links welcomed!

Quote: <snip>

Yes, multiple versions of Powerdirector can exist on the same computer. If they are Full Versions. As far as I know PD 12 Trial will not uninstall any other Powerdirector.

You cannot run two versions of Powerdirector at the same time.

You can start one version, close that version, then open another version.

I have PD 9, PD 11 and PD 12 installed on this computer. I can run any one at a time.

Another factor, if all versions are Full versions and not upgrade versions, you can have more than one Powerdirector.
Upgrade versions tend to uninstall the previous version.

THANKS. I've installed the trial version and it's working great for what I need, so I'll end up upgrading tomorrow.
I'm thinking of upgrading to PD 12 and I have PD 10 Ultra running well on my Win 8 machine.

A couple questions:

Can I run the trial version of PD 12 on my machine without stopping PD 10 from running? I don't need them running at the same time, just wondering if I could switch back and forth if needed.

In other words, can multiple version co-exist on the same Windows 8 (64 bit) user.

My machine meets all the specs for both in terms of memory, processor, drive space and video card for both versions.

2nd question: When I upgrade (after confirming PD 12 will do what I need), then can I still have both versions in parallel or does the upgrade remove PD 10? I realize PD is quite large, so I'll remove PD 10 at some point, but probably after I confirm all existing projects make it into PD 12 as expected.

All ideas, links or references also welcomed.

EDIT: I fixed the title. I had a typo in the tile (said "Trail" version. If I can't spell "Trial" I'm sure it looks like I can't handle a parallel install even if it's possible.)

Thanks!

That's exactly what I needed to know.

I'll install PD10, move all projects, then do the PD11 update.

Thanks again for the details!

Don
My new machine will arrive next week and I'm preparing for a PD10 migration/upgrade.

Executive Summary:

I assume I need to have PD10 installed on the new machine before purchasing the upgrade (PD11). (Can I purchase the PD11 upgrade on the old machine via the Upgrade link, then take the install file to the new machine?)

If I put PD10 on the new machine, can I simply reinstall from the original download file(s) and the activation codes, or do I need to go through some type of deinstall so my codes are valid on the new machine? Then upgrade from there later?

Any links, suggestions or insights are appreciated. If any other approach works, please advise.

Details for those who care:

I have PD 10 running on my old machine, but the new one I'm building is 10x stronger.

I'm thinking of migrating PD10 first, bring over all projects, then within a month or two, upgrade to PD11.

The other option is to just install PD11 on the new machine, but not sure if I can get the upgrade price if I do that without PD10 on the new machine. (All thoughts welcomed!)

I will happily delete PD10 from the old machine, the old machine is slow but runs PD10 as long as I minimize other activities on the machine (not enough memory). I'm building the new one with video editing as the core requirement. I have zero need for the old machine running PD 10 once the new one is operational.

I did a search and found this thread helpful. It doesn't address the "install PD10" on the new machine before the upgrade or after. It provides helpful details for moving the projects.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22128.page

Again, all insights or experiences welcomed.

Don
BTW - I was wrong in my guesses.

While I had done some editing, I closed PD10, and after opening it again, it started generating the shadow files in the background.

It wasn't when I reopened PD10, it was later. I was not watching it exactly, but one time after switching to the Transition Room, than going back to the Media Room, I noticed that 8 of my segments now had the shadow icon, and reads "Shadow File: ready" in the tool tip.

While writing this message, file nine changed too... So it's creating the shadow files even though I've been actively editing parts of the video I'm creating, and all 10 segments were already on the timeline, and all 10 have been trimmed.

Just want to make sure others know it will happen too, and it makes a positive difference for me. (Assuming you have that option turned on, and you're on a moderate powered machine.)

Quote: If your computer is powerful enough, you can turn off the Shadow files.

If you computer is not powerful enough, you will just have to wait until the shadow files are generated before you do any editing.

My computer is probably in the middle, it's older but was powerful in it's day.

I noticed a difference last time when I had the shadow files. It was an improvement.

My theory is once you start editing, then it doesn't create the shadow files? I was thinking it would create them for the others while I was editing the first couple segments, but it didn't work that way. (After 12 hours, still no shadows, even though I went to sleep and left PD10 open. Minimal activity on the machine for 6 hours.)

If I want them, I should throw them in the Media Room, then wait until it creates the shadows before editing?

If I want to use them, can I work on (edit/trim) segment one, and will it create the shadow for the new file I added while working or should I just wait.

Note that while working on the files, I was paying attention to the CPU utilization via the task manager. The quad cores were very quiet, mostly idling... Editing was reasonable, but I noticed some lag that I didn't on my last project. I'm guessing it's just creating temp files, so that shouldn't be CPU intensive, but just saying that for the record.

I guess my overall question is: Does editing a segment before the shadow is complete stop the shadow creation process on that segment? or on all files on the timeline, or all files in media room?

Sorry to be so specific, and I'll figure out how it works over time, but there are so many great people here with 10x the experience I have. Someone already knows how this feature works.

Any suggestions/comments welcomed.

PD10...

I started a new project and threw in about 10 1-4 minute segments in the media room.

Last time I did a similar project (a couple weeks ago), after adding the files I took a break and PD10 generated the shadow files in the background. (When I returned to editing it had most of them completed.)

This time I started trimming right away... I thought it would generate the shadow files in the background. After leaving the editor open for over 6 hours, all 10 segments still have the little icon for "shadow file generating..." This includes segments which were never added to the timeline.

Of course, trimming the segments takes more time, everything seems to run slower. I added each segment to the timeline one at a time, and trimmed each as I went.

Is there a best practice on this issue?
Only add segments as they are needed?
Does PD10 not use shadow files once their parents files are trimmed in the timeline?

Not the end of the world, but I'd like to understand why it does what does... and trimming performance is noticeably slower than my last project.

All best practices/comments welcomed.

Quote: <Snip>
Hi UnlikelySalsero,
Perhaps this might also be an option? Using prepared images/text with the 3D Like cube effect in Title Designer.

<snip>: YouTube example removed (see original message above) </end Snip >

Original tutorial here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjDToL23h3c
New improved/advanced tutorial (may be) coming soon.

This cube is not right for my current puzzle graphic, but it's a great idea and I love having this in my back pocket for future use.

A great tutorial, and interesting to see people taking a built-in tool and finding alternate uses for it. Very smart/clever!

Thanks for creating/sharing!
Quote: Hi Unlikely -

Maybe you're thinking of something like the thing attached. It was made using graphics files (not in Title Designer), just as Jaimesque suggested.

Yes - you can control the timing & placement.

Some PDtoots tutorials that might help you are:

http://youtu.be/4gPt7y6ipo0
http://youtu.be/6OLKfRILqBM
http://youtu.be/crgp9mjWvl4
http://youtu.be/exuj2dhRZjY
http://youtu.be/vOCG8PbBHM0

It's all about keyframes!

Cheers - Tony

Whoops! Forgot the attachment.

Alright! I knew the team here was great, this is just another example.

Now that I know it can be done, I'll do the legwork to figure out the details I've missed.

Your example is darned close, so that's what I needed to fill in the blanks in my experiences.

Love this group.

BTW - Part of the reason I purchased PD10 was this group! Nothing beats having a growing community when working with software that has depth. Few know everything, but the expertise among this group is EXCELLENT.

THANKS!!

Don

PS: I'll post the results when I'm finished, so others can take advantage of what I've learned.
I looked around the DirectorZone site, but I'm looking for suggestions since I didn't find what I need.

I'm not even sure this forum is the right place, but so may regulars are so helpful, I decided to give it a shot.

I want to create what seems like a simple animation in my instructional video but I really don't know where to start. I'm a very experienced user of Excel, Word, PP and other business apps, plus a software developer, so links/ideas/direction is really what I'm looking for.

In my head I see 4 words, dropping almost like tetris pieces, one on top of each other. I'd like to control the timing, because I'm doing voice overs explaining a concept that builds in layers.

But rather than just words, I'd like each word to be "contained" in a rectangle or puzzle piece, so they all build like a layer cake or maybe a vertical puzzle. (All four layers build on each other.)

PD 10 has worked VERY well for me building my first 13 videos for my series, now I want to upgrade some visuals.

All ideas welcomed!

Quote: It's not a bug because it was designed to work that way, however annoying it can be. When you add a clip to the last track, it adds a new track. I do wish there was a setting to stop this, and maybe there is. Tracks 1 and 2 can not be removed. The unused tracks do not hurt anything. If you place a clip on a lower track then drag it to the last track, it should not add a new one.

OK... I agree it's not a bug. (I'm a software developer, so I have to agree.)

It's a design flaw/oversight and I suspect it's really the results of a team of developers.

Here's the normal scenario: One person doing the shortcuts realizes it makes sense to allow a user to remove unused tracks. Another developer (or group) thought it makes sense to automatically add a track, not realizing a user may have just removed unused tracks manually. The two developers (or groups) don't realize they are crossing each other until later. Then they decide it's not a big enough deal to change the design. Both features stay even if they make little sense in some scenarios... (I've been in those meetings.)

Since there is a specific audio track toward the bottom, some newer people (like me) assumed there is some reason to put things there. If I don't have a track 3, I can see it without scrolling. Removing track 3 (unused for me) actually made my user experience better, or 5 minutes or so. And if you reload a project, it ignores the fact that track 3 was removed just before the project was saved.

I certainly don't mean to argue with you, I'll just move up to track 3 with my background audio, let the unused video track stay there, and it will work.

So there is a reasonable workaround. I already use a track 2 video for all my titles.

I need to go watch some more tutorials, since I'm not clear on the intent of the dedicated audio track toward the bottom of the timeline and/or the value of the tracks below track 3. They have different icons and someone clearly intended them for specific use, but I don't use them that way (except background music, I did put that on the audio track with the double music note icon.)

I already use track two for my titles and my external audio (I record all my video on camera and in parallel the audio goes to an external digital recorder.)

I'm fine the way it is, but over time I like to understand why a product has certain features and what the developer intended. Usually they have a reason, even if it's not obvious to me.

I appreciate your clarifications.

Quote: Hi there -

No it's not a bug. That's what PD does - it always generates an extra track.

If you want to see everything, just pop your audio in Track 3 & 4. An extra track will be generated below it, but it'll be out of your way!

Cheers - Tony

I guess I don't see how that's not a bug when it has a command to remove blank tracks, Then I do it, and it puts them back after a little while.

Why have the "remove blank tracks" menu command, which doesn't remove some of the other blank tracks (below track 3), but it DOES remove my blank track 3 (video + audio) and then a few minutes later, puts them back.

Inconsistent behavior from my POV.

I do get your point, I'll do something different because the default behavior doesn't make sense to me. Using track 3 leaves an extra track (the video track) which is am NOT using on the timeline. Not a deal killer, the program is excellent overall.

I also hope someone rethinks this behavior in the future. (I can easily add tracks from that shortcut menu too... if I manually remove them, I would know how to get more if desired too...)

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions!

I might be doing something wrong:

In order to see a music track I have toward the bottom, I remove all blank tracks on the timeline.

That leaves tracks 1 & 2 (both video + audio) and track 3 gets removed with the shortcut menu.

That allows me to see the lowest track I use without scrolling. (I use the track with the two musical notes for my background music.

After additional editing, I noticed track 3 is added back!!! It happens over and over, I remove blank tracks, then later notice track 3 is back. I haven't figured out when it appears again, but it is there within 5 minutes after I remove it.

I noticed it's always there when I re-open PD10 with the same project, then I remove it, it's there next session (and returns at points during my edit session.)

I'm guessing it's a bug, but it's annoying because I have to scroll down to see my music track when it's there, but when I remove blank tracks, I can see all my working tracks.

Any known workarounds?
Go to: