Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Still sufferring like many others - but I stumbled on a neat way to restore that does not take too long nor is too complex.

Rightclick over the offending clip and submit to Edit Audio/AudioDirector (this is fairly quick) - let AudioDirector load the clip then just exist AudioDirector - you will be asked "Do you want to send it back to PD...?" just click Yes, and when its all done you should be looking at a fully displayed audio track.

In my current project this has worked repeatedly. I am importing .wav files and do not have shadow files in operation.

Alan.

I noticed that too...anything that alters the filename has a chance of working. If only it ALWAYS worked.

Yes I tried that a couple of times with both video and sound together and apart and no difference. Am no programmer but often wonder why some clever code writer could easily solve these issues. A kind of odd thing on Audio Director that when exported to goes fine but when closing and going back to timeline the only option is close the whole program and say yes to save it back to timeline. Think there would be a button/link to do this?
But no more problems with the audio waveline since turned off shadow files. So here's hoppin
Oh, are you using Audio Director 7 where you get the "Do you want to send it back to PD...?" Cause I have not seen that.
Quote Had this same problem after a new install of Win 10 with the audio wave form line not appearing. PD 16 was looking like a new install. I had made some changes in preferences and had unticked Enable Shadow Files in General.
After a few efforts to find reason why no audio line I ticked the Enable Shadow files on and all good.
So go figure that one?

PD16 does seem to be stuck on those shadow files...it creates the directory whether the box is checked or not. There are probably hundreds of those hidden folders scattered across my drives. It seems both old and weird to me. If a program actually needed such files, it seems like it would make a lot more sense if one could control where they go. For example, "back in the day", we would create a RAM disk and then direct swap files to that virtual disc, because that would make paging a lot faster than writing them to a mechanical hard drive. In the present day, one might want to send them to an SSD, but (probably) never to, say, an external USB hard drive or a network resource.

Of course the very concept of paging was necessitated by the fact that earlier operating systems couldn't handle RAM very well. But Windows 7 Pro can address 192GB of RAM and Windows 10 Pro can handle 2TB, so there isn't much reason for paging anymore. Assuming that's what PD16 is even doing...it's not clear to me. As far as I can tell, all it does is to slow everything to a crawl. But now you're saying that it actually helped you in some way - I think that's the first time I've seen anyone saying that, but hey, whatever works!

Mark, I can sympathize with you. Have been around since PD8 and at least for my purposes PD has filled the bill so to speak.
For the most part my favorite key stroke is Ctl+S in PD anyone between ver. 8-16. Used to be a regular event after more than 2-4 edits. If not do crash and loose your work was just around the corner.
But got to say PD16 is going pretty well for me, other than this audio waveline glich
Had this same problem after a new install of Win 10 with the audio wave form line not appearing. PD 16 was looking like a new install. I had made some changes in preferences and had unticked Enable Shadow Files in General.
After a few efforts to find reason why no audio line I ticked the Enable Shadow files on and all good.
So go figure that one?
Quote If your editing needs exceed your computing power you will continue to get skips and jumps.

Barry, have just upgraded to PD 15 Media Suite 15 and upon using timeline marker for first time get this attached pic?

I rarely use timeline marker and just assumed it was a basic part of PD.

Cheers

Pettros
Gidday Carl, nice to see your still keeping CPD users happy.
Yes, I did think that would have to use an audio editor. But just seems it would be so easy to find all those little blank spaces and change them in the timeline.
Can it be done in Cyberlink Audio Director? I have looked a bit but seems can only be done one at a time.
Thanks again and cheers
Peter
Is it possible to use a tool like say Ctrl H, find and replace, for oversize gaps in sound timeline? Say look for 3-4 sec gaps and replace with 1 sec. I select/delete/drag cross fade/modify cross fade as per attached .jpg

That is without going to Audio Director of which am not sure can even do there.

This likely deserves a simple answer and maybe there is one?

Thanks all and greetings to a great forum and has been awhile so something must be working right.

Peter
Think Wordperfect, Corel Draw 3.0 with 386 DX, 105mb Hdd and 4kb of RAM. Now those where the days and even wash your hands before using computer
Carl312, did yes a couple of times, opened and then saved back to .pds as I always do but it came back next time PD was opened. Having uses PD since ver 8 have always made sure to keep saving to pds file in case program crashed which in earlier days was a regular event.

Must say that probably from PD10/11, not sure, program stability has greatly improved but even PD13 on the rare occasion does freeze up for short period of time and just hold my breath til it comes back. Maybe couple of times have had to restart but .tmp file will bring it too life. At least very close to my editing point.

The .pds files are small but contain lot of directional info and I try to keep all files I have used in same folder so as to rebuild my project easier but even this does not work all of the time when opening an old project.

Wish I could say I started in computer as a SYF..T, but didn't and somehow managed from Win3.1 on 12 3.5 floppies to Win10 and now a DOF..t and it has all become a bit easier so somebody must be getting it right :0)

Should add that since deleting from auto-save no more messages... at least for now!
Carl if I click yes a complete.pds project and if click no goes away. Problem is it keeps coming back. Even after deleting from auto save it is still coming back. Just annoying that's all. Not had happen ever before.
Quote: 'One question, how do you setup the thumbnail the video has when it is saved on your computer or uploaded to any media?'

My answer to that is select a frame in your timeline in title or wherever and take a still snapshot or ctrl P
Then change it in YouTube Video Manager.

The photo will be in your 'export folder' wherever you have put it or by default showing under file in preferences.
'One question, how do you setup the thumbnail the video has when it is saved on your computer or uploaded to any media?'
My answer to that is select a frame in your timeline in title or wherever and take a still snapshot or ctrl P
Then change it in YouTube Video Manager.

Sorry Yknotfish has already anwsered this question.
Yes, solved. Short answer, deleted the .pds in autosave. Is there a maximum number of files 'Autosave' will store and then it deletes them?
Thanks Tomasc. Think .pds not .tmp.
Have the .pds backed up elsewhere so not a problem.
When reopened from backup all is there and just have to reassociate couple of .jpg files.
So all OK.
Subject of files is bit of a deal to know best way to save and store which is a whole other subject. I try to remove and store the drives in a safe place
Yep, did computer search even searched all tmp files using *.tmp and not there??
Opened tmp file again and saved with new name and still comes back.
Opened, saved, renamed and then deleted and still comes back.
Thanks all for quick response.
Using win10 and can find nothing in startup. Also did manual delete of all files and still comes back. And also have opened this tmp file and is complete and then save it to separate Hdds where stored and backed up. Did not change file name and still works fine.
Over a year or so I fill up a 1Tb drive as export, storage etc. and have changed to a different drive but blowed if I can find this one.
This seems simple but I cannot find this tmp file to delete.

Thanks for your help.

Am working with x8 Hdds and think I have searched the lot.

Peter
To update, have freed up some space on this drive and has started writing but actually started to write before I did anything??? After 3rd try started to work.
Am wondering if we are all just Guinea pigs paying to make this program great!! Just an aside, but in any case tis a great editing software.
Now looking like about an hour to do x3 DVD's so trust will go well.
Load up .wmv to write DVD and starts to write from around 6mins time elapsed and time remaining counts back to .01 and stays there. Am on second try and same thing? 1Tb drive is getting crowded and down to less than 30Gb and can this be problem.Maybe am still recovering from ChristmasHave attached X1 pic to show.Hope all have had a wonderful Christmas and all the best of in New Year.Pettros
Just to say I have just updated to .2907 from .2808 and noted that in this thread .2808 does not get a mention. Is it a Beta version I have been using?

Started this morning by checking for updates for my Radeon 7800 series and proceded to update drivers and chipset. All done OK but started PD13 .2808 version and opens OK (although graphics not right) but tries to load project or files and totally freezes. Even 1 minute clip. So rollback driver but not chipset and now OK but graphics still not right. This when downloaded .2907.1 and working much better but graphics display still not right. Audio line is now a strange mix of blue and pink.

Attached Dxdiag is now and others are before change to .2907.1

Also got message not enough memory etc.
Thanks Bill, interesting your using PD12 on iMac and runs well. Thought all iMacs used Final Cut Pro.
But my real issue was that somehow that particular video was cropped completely and I could not work out why. Will do again from scratch and should be OK.
Have started another and all seems fine.
The original upload did not produce any thumbnails so had imported one in to it.
Ah! this is how it all happens... Windows 7 Ultimate 64 inside BOOTCAMP on a iMAC
Thanks again and hope the Northern Polar Vortex has not frozen you out in Texas.
Yes, thanks Dafydd
I could not see any 4:3 settings set and only 16:9.
Have attached pic of timeline and you can see preview window is chopped a bit (although no black border now) and if you look at clips in timeline they are not clipped?
2nd pic shows video manager YouTube with chopped top and also has not generated any thumbnails and after some hours thumbnail is still not showing in YouTube page. This clip took quite a long time to load and thought it may not load.
Seems like may be other issues and will redo to see if can fix.
Another video have started looks fine so just wondering what happened.

Peter
Go to: