Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Incorrectly plays 23.98 fps videos at 23 fps causing judder
LukeG8 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 19, 2022 11:52 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I've noticed significant video judder which is especially noticeable with lip syncing in anime series/films. I looked up the issue on the forum and on reddit and it seems like other people have noticed this problem as well. I think the source of the problem is that powerdvd incorrectly plays 23.98 fps videos at 23 fps as suggested by the attached images. This would cause certain frames to be skipped causing judder that is especially noticeable with animation. Which is exactly what I've experienced.

References to other posts with similar concerns:
https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/comments/ls4tqk/powerdvd_20_ultra_video_judder_in_bluray_playback/
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64735.page

Thanks,
Luke
[Thumb - videoDesc.PNG]
 Filename
videoDesc.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Description of video in files (note the FPS is 23.98)
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
16 time(s)
[Thumb - videoDescPowerDVD.PNG]
 Filename
videoDescPowerDVD.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Description of video in powerDVD (note the FPS is 23.00)
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
17 time(s)
LukeG8 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 19, 2022 11:52 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I also want to add that this isn't just a problem I've been experiencing with downloaded videos but also blu-ray discs.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Technical wise, there is not a "0.98 frame" physically existing in videos, and the 23.98 fps is just an "estimated/approximate" result that calculated by Windows file properties or the famous MediaInfo tool because for a 23.98 fps video, the duration/interval of each microframe is not all encoded with the same/consistent value. As a result, the frame rate of the encoded video comes with an addition of 0.98 as the average of the frame rate.

In my opinion, no matter the playback fps is shown as 23 fps or 24 fps in the real time, they are all "correct" technically when you are monitoring it in powerdvd.

Does your display monitor support 23.98 Hz screen refresh rate exactly when displaying videos?
Do you adjust your screen refresh rate to 23.98 or 24 Hz in the Windows in advance to make it consistent with the 23.98 fps video?

The tip might help you ease the micro judder if any occurs on the playback because I remembered that powerdvd does not support auto adjusing the screen refresh rate in windows when playing video files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 20. 2022 02:10