Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Got my self a drone, can't open 10-bit files in PD
Henning1969 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2015 06:09 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
Just recorded some video with my new DJI Mini 3 drone in D-cinelike, 10-bit 4:2:0
I thougt PD was supporting it so I signdet up for a deal.
But PD can't open those files

What can I do? Is it possible to convert to something that works?

Sample clip here

Codec-screenshot

HJ
[Thumb - Skjermbilde.JPG]
 Filename
Skjermbilde.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot
 Filesize
59 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi
Just recorded some video with my new DJI Mini 3 drone in D-cinelike, 10-bit 4:2:0

PD won't support that file for import, you can use HandBrake (or your conversion utility of preference) to convert to acceptable format for PD import.

The DJI Mini 3 drone manual says it has "MP4/MOV (H.264/H.265)", you might try the MOV/H.265 option and see if PD will import that. The manual does not clearly state 8 or 10 bit or chroma sampling so just have to try.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi

HJ

The drone footage won’t import in PD365 but I find that it will import in the older PD17. See the screenshot. It can be edited: Did a split, Made a color correction of the left portion. I believe that you want to use a LUT on that cine footage.

Tried this as I recall that a user was able to edit 10 bit footage in PD12 possibly by using a HDR TV or HDR monitor. Newer versions of PD may be able to import and convert some 10 bit footage in the PD20/365 spec. Video File Import section page.

Jeff’s recommendation will work every time to convert and import that drone footage for sure. I would go with that.
[Thumb - dji drone footage.jpg]
 Filename
dji drone footage.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Drone footage imports in PD17
 Filesize
365 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
14 time(s)
Henning1969 [Avatar]
[Post New]

PD won't support that file for import, you can use HandBrake (or your conversion utility of preference) to convert to acceptable format for PD import.

The DJI Mini 3 drone manual says it has "MP4/MOV (H.264/H.265)", you might try the MOV/H.265 option and see if PD will import that. The manual does not clearly state 8 or 10 bit or chroma sampling so just have to try.

Jeff

Thanks
I did some converting in HandBreak but it looks like they are not 10-bit anymore

Did some testing with MOV and H.265, but it is not 10-bit with H.265
And PD will not import MOV/H.264 10-bit.
Henning1969 [Avatar]
[Post New]

The drone footage won’t import in PD365 but I find that it will import in the older PD17. See the screenshot. It can be edited: Did a split, Made a color correction of the left portion. I believe that you want to use a LUT on that cine footage.

Tried this as I recall that a user was able to edit 10 bit footage in PD12 possibly by using a HDR TV or HDR monitor. Newer versions of PD may be able to import and convert some 10 bit footage in the PD20/365 spec. Video File Import section page.

Jeff’s recommendation will work every time to convert and import that drone footage for sure. I would go with that.

Thanks
I have PD17 and manage to open it, but the colors are bad/wrong.
This is why I bougt the new PD365.

If you open the file in VLC you can do some amazing LUT

Took a screenshot:
Open it here
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The drone footage won’t import in PD365 but I find that it will import in the older PD17. See the screenshot. It can be edited: Did a split, Made a color correction of the left portion. I believe that you want to use a LUT on that cine footage.

Even though PD17 does not produce an error on import, I don't believe the 10bit color is handled correctly as shown in your pic. The same is true for PD12, yes, the video imports and looks the same as the PD17 import, one can edit, but one would have a difficult time correcting the color display issues. I don't think any LUT is going to easily rectify these color display issues.

My guess OP will also have issue with the H.265 in a MOV container as it's probably 10bit too, which PD20 will not properly support. One can only use the setting and create some video with the drone as the drone manual I could find does not list entire video details.

Conversion might be OP's only viable option until PD supports 10bit color, H.264, in a MP4 container for this particular drone video setting.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD12_10bit.png]
 Filename
PD12_10bit.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1474 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks
I did some converting in HandBreak but it looks like they are not 10-bit anymore

Did some testing with MOV and H.265, but it is not 10-bit with H.265
And PD will not import MOV/H.264 10-bit.

Sorry, forum not sending out emails of updates in a timely fashion so my last post was not too informative.

One would have to make appropriate settings in HandBrake to maintain 10bit. You can create a file and have PD20 import correctly as shown, but it's kind of diminishing as PD20 can't export 10bit color so a conversion needs to be done sometime.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD20_HEVC10bit.png]
 Filename
PD20_HEVC10bit.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
824 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
Henning1969 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Sorry, forum not sending out emails of updates in a timely fashion so my last post was not too informative.

One would have to make appropriate settings in HandBrake to maintain 10bit. You can create a file and have PD20 import correctly as shown, but it's kind of diminishing as PD20 can't export 10bit color so a conversion needs to be done sometime.

Jeff

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.
If PD20 can't export 10 bit it's no point going any further with this.

Again, thanks :
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for your help, appreciate it.
If PD20 can't export 10 bit it's no point going any further with this.

Again, thanks :

Yep, been a need/request for some time, best one can do is suggest expanded 10 bit import and export support with details to meet your needs again at File > Rate Us & Provide Suggestions

Jeff
cclo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2017 07:44 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Yep, been a need/request for some time, best one can do is suggest expanded 10 bit import and export support with details to meet your needs again at File > Rate Us & Provide Suggestions

Jeff

I just got PowerDirector 365 today. Oct 1, 2022 with the latest PowerDirector 21. It still dooesn't support it! What a disappointment!
cclo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2017 07:44 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Jeff

Wait a minute... I got it to work... Just use H.265
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Wait a minute... I got it to work... Just use H.265

As posted earlier in this thread, yes H.265 encoding on the drone worked with import into PD, but it is not 10-bit. The OP was support for 10-bit 4:2:0 video.

I see nothing new in PD21 concerning this 10-bit 4:2:0 support for import and export.

Jeff