Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Optical discs and Windows 10
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Is anyone having an issue with Blu Ray or DL DVDs at this date?
Windows, I think ,is the culprit, not my PD17.
Double- layer DVDs are not recording, they are corrupted and unreadable, and my machine won't even recognize Blu Ray discs in my THREE BR burners.
Honestly, as far as video editing is concerned, Windows 10 is a frickin' disaster of an OS.
I never have issues in Windows 7, as I use my lowly Pentium OFFLINE and everything works, just gawdawful slow.
So, any thoughts on this? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't burned a disc since 2014 so I don't have any experience with failures like you're seeing. I also wouldn't say that Win10 was a problem for editing videos, but if you think that's the issue I have a counter-intuitve suggestion: upgrade your newest machine to Win11.

By all means make a full system backup first and then try an in-place upgrade to Win11. On the 3 machines I've updated, the process was quick and worked well. See this discussion for more.

If the same issues persist, try resetting Windows and install only PD17 and see if that helps. If it does, you can the install all the other apps you need; if not, you can restore your system from the backup.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I have no problems creating avchd dl or bd discs in PD17. Years ago I found that the Amazon cloud storage driver which is also supplied in the PD previous versions causes PD14 not to be able to burn a disc. Authoring will be 99% complete but the created folders can be burned successfully with imgburn. Editing and Producing videos with stereo audio can be done in PD365. Authoring must be done in PD17 if 5.1 audio is needed. Burning will be done with imgburn. This is my workflow today using Win 10 and now Win 11.

The i7-4770 cpu is lacking the tpm 2.0 hardware required for an upgrade to Win 11 using the windows update. You can still install Win 11 if you want by downloading it from the Microsoft website. I see no advantages with it on a desktop for video editing. It is better suited for a laptop to save energy.

If PD17 is believed to be the root of your problem then why not contact support and see what they say. More than likely I believe many users and contributors on this forum find it necessary to find workarounds to the issues they find. I post my workarounds to users that have the same issues. Most are happy. as far as I know.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2022 18:26

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If needed, you can bypass Win11's TPM and minimum processor requirements with s single registry edit. See my post in this discussion for the details.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If needed, you can bypass Win11's TPM and minimum processor requirements with s single registry edit. See my post in this discussion for the details.

As for my discs...I am beginning to suspect the Blu-ray media I have, although they have burnt successfully in the past.
Optical Quantum, BD-R 25GB, and none of my burners see it as burnable media. "This disc type is not supported".
However I can burn DVD-rw, DVD-DL, and Blu-ray RE (rewritable).
I just can't burn these discs.
I have other BD-R on the way, many good deals on Ebay and Mercari, Facebook Marketplace, because, after all, they are discs!
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Noticed this on a regular forum scan, and decided to toss in my cents worth.

I don't think windows 10 has anything to do with it - the data is passed to the burner driver by the video app, and the burner does it's thing. One practice that's absolutely essential is to not try to burn the disk - feed data to it - faster than the disk can handle. For example, DVD disks typically are rated at 16x, and BR disks at 6x. Most burner apps default to a MAX burn rate, but if that exceeds the rating on the disk then what you get is a burned video that's missing chunks of data, because the burner had not completed the last data output (the buffer was not empty) before the next lot arrived. The lesson here is to make sure that when you burn a disk, that the burn rate selected is at or lower than the rating of the disk: for a BR 6x disk, if the burner only has burn rates of say 1,4,8 et al, select the rate of 4 (because that's lower than the disk 6x). Every burner has this feature somewhere - I haven't seen one that doesn't but sometimes it's squirrelled away somewhere.

I've had a BR, DL burrner on the PC for years. And every attempt at burning/playing a DL disk has been a failure.
The symptoms are the disk on playback plays Ok for a while, then the playing image pixelates and freezes. Abandon play is the only way out.
After a lot of experimenting - which wasted a lot of DL disks - I understood how the disks were supposed to work, and derived what I think was happening. DL disks have 2 layers, which are burned/recorded one after the other by a LED light beam creating a "burn" where data is to be on a track traced across the disk by the burner. The 2nd layer track is supposed to fit between those on the 1st layer. On the first or uppermost recording layer, playback worked fine. But my issues with pixelating always appeared - randomly, or so it sdeemed - somwhere on the 2nd or deeper layer. And it seemed like that the deep burn was not enough combined with either burn or read back thru the upper layer to avoid data errors when playback was happening. Thus the pixelating and play jamming effect. I tried several different brands of disk to try and avoid this issue, but that simply increased the randomness of event, not prevention.

Evetually, I gave up using DL disks entirely. My video creations are small videos lasting 12-15 minutes as a rule, usually a holiday vsiting a number of different places, one clip per place, plus a disk menu. Occasionally, a longer one at 30 minutes which is a "whole" project summary, plus smaller clips in greater detail for individual topics or locations. They either fit onto a single single layer disk, one or several clips, or it's a multi-disk production with different clips on each disk and appropriate titles in the disk menu and label. DVD FHD or 4K formats just impact the amount of data/number of clips you can put on one disk, not whether it's going to work or not.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
It appears my Optical Quantum discs have failed me.
Other brands are easily read by both my BR optical drives.
The OQ discs worked in the past, and they are not "old" so to speak.
Whatever the reason, they're in-the-bin.

Also, for what it's worth, I NEVER burn any discs at top speed, ever. Always at or near slowest speed.

Thank you, everyone, for your interest.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 22. 2022 16:40

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT