Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD365 - AUDIO Issues: fade-in is glitchy and denoise seems to be terrible.
A DAVID [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2010 22:51 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Good afternoon all, PD365 is my 4th version of PD I've tried over the years, and I've never had this issue on countless projects in the past.

Issue #1 - Glitchy Fade-in: On my first PD365 project, I'm editing a short film and wanting to fade-in to some ambient restaurant noise (recorded as an independent stereo track). This track has been lowered (volume) to around -5DB to allow for my video/audio track to play for dialogue. The restaurant track is fine, and I can fade in and it plays ok on a new project or in Audio Director as I would expect. The moment I have more than one layer of audio going on it seems the fade-in turns into muted and distorted audio (from no volume to the -5DB volume I set it at) up to and slightly past the normal audio level (-5DB setting) and then it plays as it should. Said another way, soon as I move this faded-in audio so that it would be playing at the same time as any other audio clip (on a different track) it seems to run into issues. I've tried a fresh PD project and the same thing happens. I've closed PD, re-opened it, etc. Once this happens to the fade-in clip, the problem remains if I move it on my timeline so that it's the only audio track playing at the time.

Issue#2 - We were in the restaurant for filming before it opened. The only noise on set was our dialogue and a gentle steady hum from the kitchen - fridges, fans, etc. I'd think it would be pretty simple for Audio Director to distinguish this low level steady constant noise, but Auto Denoise does a terrible job of reslolving the issue. When I try to utilize de-noise, I can almost entirely get rid of the hum, but then it's slightly distorted my dialogue so that it sounds slightly echoey/tinny... I can't seem to locate quality instruction videos on this and how to resolve this. I did find the step by step instructions, but it seems the suggestion is to more or less play around with the sliders (sensitivity, noise reduction, and wet/dry) with very little information on what the purpose of each slider is for. It would be great for a real life example and how this was handled.

If anyone is able to help, I'd greatly appreciate it!
A DAVID [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2010 22:51 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Good afternoon all, PD365 is my 4th version of PD I've tried over the years, and I've never had this issue on countless projects in the past.

Issue #1 - Glitchy Fade-in: On my first PD365 project, I'm editing a short film and wanting to fade-in to some ambient restaurant noise (recorded as an independent stereo track). This track has been lowered (volume) to around -5DB to allow for my video/audio track to play for dialogue. The restaurant track is fine, and I can fade in and it plays ok on a new project or in Audio Director as I would expect. The moment I have more than one layer of audio going on it seems the fade-in turns into muted and distorted audio (from no volume to the -5DB volume I set it at) up to and slightly past the normal audio level (-5DB setting) and then it plays as it should. Said another way, soon as I move this faded-in audio so that it would be playing at the same time as any other audio clip (on a different track) it seems to run into issues. I've tried a fresh PD project and the same thing happens. I've closed PD, re-opened it, etc. Once this happens to the fade-in clip, the problem remains if I move it on my timeline so that it's the only audio track playing at the time.

Issue#2 - We were in the restaurant for filming before it opened. The only noise on set was our dialogue and a gentle steady hum from the kitchen - fridges, fans, etc. I'd think it would be pretty simple for Audio Director to distinguish this low level steady constant noise, but Auto Denoise does a terrible job of reslolving the issue. When I try to utilize de-noise, I can almost entirely get rid of the hum, but then it's slightly distorted my dialogue so that it sounds slightly echoey/tinny... I can't seem to locate quality instruction videos on this and how to resolve this. I did find the step by step instructions, but it seems the suggestion is to more or less play around with the sliders (sensitivity, noise reduction, and wet/dry) with very little information on what the purpose of each slider is for. It would be great for a real life example and how this was handled.

If anyone is able to help, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Well, I found a solution that seems to be rather fantastic! I downloaded Adobe Premiere Pro on a trial basis, and the de-noise just works instantly and intuitively with a touch of a button. Fade-ins are no problem. In fact, it seems Adobe Premiere Pro is so easy to learn and everything just 'works' (without glitches) that I'm kicking myself for buying PD365. In fact, even the free version of FilmoraPro was able to de-noise with the touch of a button versus the lousy job PD365 and Audio Director does. This long time CyberLink user is outta here....