CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
UHD Advisor and SGX checking?
Reply to this topic
Saltgrass [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: May 31, 2011 21:49 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I seem to be having problems passing the SGX test. Maybe an answer would help so I was wondering if for the SGX test to be successful, does the system need to communicate with the Display device?

I am trying to check my system before spending money on a UHD monitor that may not work. If it needs the monitor to complete the test, then I will have to purchase the display before testing can complete.

The SGX drivers have been loaded and the SGX device does show in the Device Manager.

Thanks..
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 671 Offline
[Post New]
Quote . Maybe an answer would help so I was wondering if for the SGX test to be successful, does the system need to communicate with the Display device?

No it does not. The Intel SGX feature only involves the CPU hardware, Intel chipset driver (Intel Management Engine), motherboard firmware (BIOS) and Windows OS configuration.

Dave
Saltgrass [Avatar]
[Post New]

No it does not. The Intel SGX feature only involves the CPU hardware, Intel chipset driver (Intel Management Engine), motherboard firmware (BIOS) and Windows OS configuration.

Dave

Well, I guess I am having some other problem with SGX. I have tried two systems, one older but qualiied and one new system. I always get the SGX is not available.. I suppose I will have to look somewhere else..

Thanks
Saltgrass [Avatar]
[Post New]

Dave

I am starting to get the impression that it will no longer be allowed for folks to playback UHD Blu-Ray videos. PowerDVD 21 can not seem to do it. I noticed the Intel i9 11900K processor, I have in my newest system, does not support SGX so the page I found at Dell seems to give a good indication as to what might be happening.

PowerDVD unable to play UHD-BD video | Dell US

Maybe another way will become available to protect content is SGX is in the past.. I think I will just let this go and stay with my 3D Video, which I really like.
whirlpool0548 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Dec 15, 2012 19:13 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]

Well, I guess I am having some other problem with SGX. I have tried two systems, one older but qualiied and one new system. I always get the SGX is not available.. I suppose I will have to look somewhere else..

Thanks

I had the same issue with the Advisor reporting SGX - not available with an error code.
I reported the issue to Cyberlink with a trace.

Their test for SGX has an issue.

if everything else passes (I don't need HDR), then UHD Blu-Ray discs will play OK. Ignore the SGX result.
Check out SGX using Corel's advisor or the Intel capability test.

Up till yesterday I was running PowerDVD 17 and playing UHD Blu-Ray discs with no issues.

I installed the latest version, PowerDVD 21 yesterday, but so far there's an Issue playing UHD Blu-ray Discs.

The first play of a UHD disc causes the Cyberlink server to be contacted to update software components (as usual), but after that, playback doesn't start, the PDVD window is blank. I'm investigating.

UPDATE
------------

I have installed PowerDVD 21 Ultra.
It plays UHD Blu-ray media, no issues, improved PQ over PowerDVD 17.

But there is a downside I haven't solved yet.

playing BDMV (or AVCHD) UHD folders, playback just hangs.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 08. 2021 10:40

Saltgrass [Avatar]
[Post New]

UPDATE
------------

I have installed PowerDVD 21 Ultra.
It plays UHD Blu-ray media, no issues, improved PQ over PowerDVD 17.

But there is a downside I haven't solved yet.

playing BDMV (or AVCHD) UHD folders, playback just hangs.

OK, thanks for the info. I never got past the Intel Management engine situation related to SGX, even though that had been updated. I don't need HDR either but I still can't get past the SGX situation. I can't ignore it because the software will not play UHD DVDs, unless I am missing something and I think I did turn off the HDR option.

My gaming, high powered systems, don't use the Intel graphics so they won't work. I still have a 17 inch Dell laptop I have not yet tried but it does not have a 4K display.

I probably need to get a 4K TV or monitor but don't know for sure if that money would be wasted also since the SGX problem does not seem to be tied to the monitor.

The original gaming laptop I was trying to use is now on Windows 11, even though it is not supported. I might try again with that configuration.

Thanks again..
Reply to this topic