Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What is the track order for chroma key?
Tomas E [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 07, 2019 11:51 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using track 1 for the background and the chroma key video (with the green screen) on track 2. Now that I have several tracks I'm a bit lost in how this works. I put the background image in track 1 as usual and then made my settings in one of the tracks with the green screen (track 4). But in this case the background was taken from track 5, that is the other green screen track that is involved. I tried making chroma key settings in track 5 and that made both the background image and track 4 visible in a strange mix.

Track 2 is a just a short clip at the beginning of the movie and track 3 contains only audio.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2021 17:25

PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
32 GB RAM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tomas E -

Assuming you haven't reversed the track order in Preferences, if you insert your greenscreen video in Track 5 then apply chroma key, anything that isn't masked by the background image/video will be visible.

e.g. GS vid - T5, Particle or Video Overlay - T4, BG vid - T3... the particle or PiP object will be visible (attached screenshot)
GS vid - T5, BG vid - T4, Particle or Video Overlay - T3... the particle or PiP object won't be visible.

Posting screenshots of your timeline/preview would help clarify your issue.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - GS_Track Order.jpg]
 Filename
GS_Track Order.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
849 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Tomas E -

Assuming you haven't reversed the track order in Preferences, if you insert your greenscreen video in Track 5 then apply chroma key, anything that isn't masked by the background image/video will be visible.

e.g. GS vid - T5, Particle or Video Overlay - T4, BG vid - T3... the particle or PiP object will be visible (attached screenshot)
GS vid - T5, BG vid - T4, Particle or Video Overlay - T3... the particle or PiP object won't be visible.

Posting screenshots of your timeline/preview would help clarify your issue.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for this info! Interesting and useful to a newbie! 😎 Where did you get that Teeth Sparkle, if I may ask? Really nice!

I was going to post an answer yesterday but got a timeout message. This forum is not up to date for sure. I don't see why Cyberlink don't seem to bother to make it faster. It's a shame really.

However, later on I discovered that deactivating one of the GS tracks led me in the right direction. Now that I know that, I should be able to figure out which segments to cut out to shift between the different tracks as desired. I've also simplified things by putting one of the video tracks together with the audio. PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
32 GB RAM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Ahh -

You were using multiple green screen clips overlaid??? That might explain your comment "that made both the background image and track 4 visible in a strange mix."

I'm glad you're getting the hang of it a bit more.

I made that sparkle thing, but I probably made it by modifying someone else's particle. There are a few variations of it attached. If you double click the .dzl file, they'll install in PDR. Just delete any you don't want.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
20210519.dzl
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
513 bytes
 Downloaded:
122 time(s)

Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ahh -

You were using multiple green screen clips overlaid??? That might explain your comment "that made both the background image and track 4 visible in a strange mix."

I'm glad you're getting the hang of it a bit more.

I made that sparkle thing, but I probably made it by modifying someone else's particle. There are a few variations of it attached. If you double click the .dzl file, they'll install in PDR. Just delete any you don't want.

Cheers - Tony

Did you modify it in PD or is PhotoShop or similar app neeeded?

So it's possible to make one's own installable files. That's great! Got to learn more about this some time.

Thanks a lot! laughing PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
32 GB RAM
ynotfish
[Post New]
That's right. Right in PDR, you can create & modify particle templates... as well as titles, video overlays, transitions & a whole lot more.

If you visit DirectorZone, you'll find a **mountain of templates made by other PDR users. These can be downloaded & installed & used in your PDR (if you want).

e.g. there are thousands of particle templates, which can be used as they are or modified to suit your needs.

Since you're just starting out, I'd suggest looking at some more basic tutorials first (there are plenty), but here's one on the basics of using Particle Designer.

Cheers - Tony

** I'm not suggesting that the mountain of templates on DZ is necessarily all good! You need to search through some rubbish to find the gems. laughing
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
👍 PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
32 GB RAM