Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Technical difference between speed mode vs quality mode?
mohitk [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 07, 2019 11:15 Messages: 56 Offline
[Post New]
Any expert here who could tell me that what are the technical difference between speed mode vs quality mode? how does Quality mode enhance quality?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 02. 2021 09:46

Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe it is me, but the image you are trying to show, does not show on my screen. Maybe that image explains what you are after, otherwise, please elaborate!
mohitk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Maybe it is me, but the image you are trying to show, does not show on my screen. Maybe that image explains what you are after, otherwise, please elaborate!

Updated
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Theoretically, Speed mode should process faster.
It makes no difference to me.
I always choose Quality mode
Use deblocking and Use dynamic GOP - in practice, I don't see any difference either.
I leave it the way it is.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Over time, a user reported the purpose of deblocking as reported by support, dynamic GOP is for a smaller file size as reported by another.

It may be best for mohitk to start a support ticket and post what they say about the speed mode versus the quality mode. Like most users here I haven’t found a need to test it. Someone could do a test and then post the results of their test stating the elapse produce times and screenshots showing quality differences.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2021 12:55

mohitk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Theoretically, Speed mode should process faster.
It makes no difference to me.
I always choose Quality mode
Use deblocking and Use dynamic GOP - in practice, I don't see any difference either.
I leave it the way it is.

Me also have the same experience here.

Speed mode doesn't make process faster. It takes same time as quality mode.
Even quality of video is also same in both cases so i do always use quality mode.
I have used option of deblocking and dynamic GOP as well. It doesn't make any difference .
It seems that these features only exist to create confusion. Nothing Else.
LucasC22 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2022 15:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, i'm not a expert whatsoever but i'm gonna share my personal experience. my laptop is a mid to low spec ( good GPU, bad CPU ) .Today i've been exporting with speed mode and the results are way faster in the exporting process.

H265, 3840x2160, 60fps, 54000 bitrate, 8min video
Quality mode got 10% in 3 hours of process, but the whole system freezes to the point it hits BSOD or reboots itself.

Speed mode got 10% in one hour and a half, and system still half smooth to browse atleast low resources programs

Homewer, i still dont know about the image quality yet. Just wanted to share those first impressions
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello, i'm not a expert whatsoever but i'm gonna share my personal experience. my laptop is a mid to low spec ( good GPU, bad CPU ) .Today i've been exporting with speed mode and the results are way faster in the exporting process.

H265, 3840x2160, 60fps, 54000 bitrate, 8min video
Quality mode got 10% in 3 hours of process, but the whole system freezes to the point it hits BSOD or reboots itself.

Speed mode got 10% in one hour and a half, and system still half smooth to browse atleast low resources programs

Homewer, i still dont know about the image quality yet. Just wanted to share those first impressions

I think some of the prior observations possibly tainted as they lack completeness or proper context. Keep in mind, in the early PD days it was not a tick mark for speed or quality, but a slider one could adjust, see attached pic. These are often fine tune settings of the encoder and virtually all encoders have them. I suspect CL took the speed encoder settings and applied those to that check and likewise the quality settings for the other end of the spectrum check box. So really two hard coded defaults vs the slider early PD versions had. I suspect these settings only apply to CL's software encoder.

Unfortunately, CL documentation is always absolutely worthless on what they have done so it's always the end users trying to understand what might be under the hood based on testing and experience.

Your observations appear about right based on my experience briefly summarized below:
1) ~2.0-4.0X time difference for H.265 when CPU encoding for speed vs quality, no change for GPU (Nvidia NVENC or AMD VCE) encoding
2) ~1.2-1.5X time difference for H.264 when CPU encoding for speed vs quality, no change for GPU (Nvidia NVENC or AMD VCE) encoding
3) when CPU encoding, quality is affected but not significantly. You need to analyze each frame with some form of digital metric like VMAF and the change is rather subtle. I see about a 1-2% quality metric improvement with the quality setting, that will be hard to see with the naked eye.
4) when GPU encoding, quality is not affected at all by quality or speed tick

Jeff
[Thumb - PD_Speed_Quality.png]
 Filename
PD_Speed_Quality.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
18 time(s)