Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
how can i reset audio to original settings?
kimvan1777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2021 19:12 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I was testing the audio adjustments by doing audio compression and other changes.

Now my audio sounds flat and canned.

How can I reset audio to all original settings?

Thank you.

Kim
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I assume you were doing that with the Audio Editor tool, and that you've clicked Apply several times and even left the tool and gone back to the main timeline.

As long as the project hasn't been closed, you should be able to click on Undo (or use the Ctrl+Z keys to go back up to 50 steps. If you made more than 50 changes or have already closed the project, you're left with a couple choices.

One way is to simply drag the same clip from the media library onto the timeline. If you've trimmed the original clip, you'll need to match the starting & ending edges and select both clips and use the Sync by Audio tool so you can get everything perfectly aligned and then you can delete the modified clip and replace it with the unmodified version.

The other way is to go back to one of the autosaved versions of your project from before you started playing around with the audio. You can check how often the auto saves were made and see all the temporary projects from this screen:

BrianE [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 15, 2020 11:46 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I assume you were doing that with the Audio Editor tool, and that you've clicked Apply several times and even left the tool and gone back to the main timeline.

As long as the project hasn't been closed, you should be able to click on Undo (or use the Ctrl+Z keys to go back up to 50 steps. If you made more than 50 changes or have already closed the project, you're left with a couple choices.

One way is to simply drag the same clip from the media library onto the timeline. If you've trimmed the original clip, you'll need to match the starting & ending edges and select both clips and use the Sync by Audio tool so you can get everything perfectly aligned and then you can delete the modified clip and replace it with the unmodified version.

The other way is to go back to one of the autosaved versions of your project from before you started playing around with the audio. You can check how often the auto saves were made and see all the temporary projects from this screen:

I've wondered this myself, but having just read your third paragraph and also the relevant part of the help file, I still cannot understand the process. Would you mind explaining it in more detail? I'm particularly confused by what you mean by "match the starting & ending edges" and also by where to drag the replacement clip to, i.e., does it go before, after or on top of the existing clip on the timeline? In addition, what does PowerDirector actually do when the sync button is pressed?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2021 15:27

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If you only have a single clip or a trimmmed section that's easy to locate and trim again, there's no reason to worry about any of the additional steps. Just delete the clip with the modified audio and replace it with the original.

The steps I listed assumed that the affected clip was not easy to replace directly, so I described a process to sync it with the original so the original clip could be trimmed to the same start/end points and it could then be moved into the empty spot on the original track.

It doesn't matter at all where the two clips are placed on the timeline. All you need to do is select each of them (hold down CTRL when clicking on each one). When you click on Sync by audio, PD will match them and will move both clips to 2 new tracks at the bottom of the timeline.

That's actually where you'd want to trim the start/end of the original clip to match the clip you'll be replacing, so I should have stated the instructions in the 3rd paragraph like this:

If you've trimmed the original clip, you'll need to drag the original clip to the timeline then select it along with the modified clip. Use the Sync by Audio tool so you can get everything perfectly aligned, then trim the starting & ending edges of the replacement clip to match the modified clip. You can then delete the modified clip and drag the unmodified version to the original timeline location.