Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Installing Build 2207 on top of Build 1930?? Do a COMPLETE Uninstall of Build 1930 FIRST!!!
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
JUST A SUGGESTION, I'm not the expert, but.......:

If you have Power Director 8 Build 1930 and you are going to install Build 2207, do a complete uninstall as depicted in the "Tasks to Carry Out" BEFORE you install Build 2207.

PART C
Uninstall and reinstall of PowerDirector

Try the following way to re-install PowerDirector:
a.) Start--> Programs -->Cyberlink PowerDirector --> Uninstall PowerDirector
b.) Start --> Run --> type "regedit" --> click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" --> click "Software" --> locate "Cyberlink" ----> click the "+" (if you have more than one CyberLink product) -->Delete the "PowerDirector" folder
c.) Start --> Run --> type "regedit"--> click "Hkey_Current_user" --> click
"Software" --> locate "Cyberlink" ----> click the "+" (if you have more than one CyberLink product) -->Delete "PowerDirector" folder.
d.) Delete C:\Programs Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector
And reboot your PC.
After this, please install your PowerDirector 8 Build 2207

A re-installation of your software can resolve usage problems.

It solved a problem with the Stabilizer function not working as well as the Split Screen to see its effect. I was reading the topic Fix/Enhance not working (video Stabilizer) and followed Tonys tip to use this procedure and it worked for me!!!

Who knows what other issue may be lurking if this procedure isn't carried out???

Kevin

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Oct 23. 2009 01:47

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Methinks you've just done a practice run!!

ha ha

Dafydd
[Moderator]

PS Good advice by the way..
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
For what it's worth -

I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled PD perhaps 50+ times in the last 12 months on my main media system and my standard desktop. I have PD6 on my laptop for editing when I'm away diving or whatever, 7 on the desktop really only for testing/reference and 8 on the media system.

Immediately before installing a new version I run CCleaner and tidy up temp files and the registry.

I then just install PD, allowing it to uninstall the previous version and install the new version, with the new versions I now run the content pack.

After installation I run CCleaner again followed by a defrag of my program drive. I then reboot.

Because I also test lots of media related software I tend to regularly - say once a week? - run CCleaner and defrag my program drive and I can only say I tend to have very few PD related problems. I have found that if I don't keep my drives tidy, so to speak, PD seems to fall over more often.

I defrag my data drives as and when.

I know Dafydd has his favourite method of installation , which is different, but this seems to work for me.

System specs
XP MCE
Athlone 64X2 4600+ 2.4GHz 3GB RAM Radeon X1600 SATA 1x 500GB 1x 320GB 1x160GB 3 external USB drives

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Adrian,

I use your method and Dafydd's! CCleaner does an excellent job!

Thanks for your previous posts recommending it!

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Ah, best of both worlds then

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
This is just all too funny, well not that funny actually . It seems I am probably up to my neck in sticky mud now, and it makes me think of that song..."We've only just begun". What snags will I find as I lift the cover of Pandoras Box?

I didn't think I had personally discovered the Holy Grail in resolving any eratic behavior in my Love/ Hate relationship with PD8. I did think however it was a reminder to some and new information to others.

It did eliminate that one issue that I was aware of!!

If I have saved the previous build (1903) it is possible to go backwards? Correct?
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Cap'n Kevin
If you have the previous version yes, you can.but; you have to uninstall
the current version, do a clean wipe to remove traces of current installation and do a re-install of the old version. Here Dafydd's law works better
Well you may sweep it with Ccleaner aswell !

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2009 07:51

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, you can uninstall your current build and re-install your previous build, but can I ask why you want to do this?

What problems are you running into?

I've tested all the previous builds, and my experience is they become more stable and reliable with each new build.

But that's just me!

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Current build address a set of glitches which may conflict with previous build addressing another set of problems ie., if you apply the previous build on new one.In all probability PD would not like it and would pop open a warning
Play safe play well

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2009 07:59

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Great advice! I intend to move forward as the builds evolve, not looking back!!

Thanks for your informative responses!!

Kevin
Robin (Gashy) [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2009 03:47 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Below are the steps I got from support for installing 2207 over 1930, to fix saving projects after editing Titles and to improve stability. Seemed to have worked so far. Has improved stability issues I was having.

FYI

To resolve the issue please follow the steps below:

1. Uninstall PowerDirector using the steps below:

I. Reboot PC

II. Install Microsoft cleanup tool and clean PowerDirector installation information:

Install Microsoft cleanup tool and execute from "Start\all programs\WindowsInstaller Cleanup" To check if PowerDirector is on product list, If you can see PowerDirector in product list. Select PowerDirector and click "Remove" button to clean up PowerDirector.

Microsoft cleanup tool:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

III. Remove "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector"

IV. Remove "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}" folder

V. Start --> Run. Type regedit and press the OK button. Now follow the steps below:

(1) Remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector"

(2) Remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}"

(3) Remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}"

(4) Remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}"

2. Reboot the PC.

3. Please reset your display settings, screen area to 1024 x 768, color depth to 16 bit and monitor refresh rate to 60 HZ.

4. Please Uninstall Anti Spyware program. Close other utility applications including virus scans, screen saver and instant messaging software before you launch PowerDirector software.

5. Please follow the link below to download and install PowerDirector 8.0:

Rob
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I've always just tried to install the latest build on top of the previous one and let PD remove the old build on its own. I've never had an issue. However, I do run CCleaner about once a week for routine maintenance and defrag my HD about once a month or as needed. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
So far the only issue I have run into is that the About PowerDirector window freezes and I have to crash the program. Fortunately, I rarely have any reason to open that window. I'm not producing much this time of year, so I may not have found something yet. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM