Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Adding blur to the edges of a movie
Tomas E [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 07, 2019 11:51 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
On YouTube you can add a blur to the egdes of a movie, but it takes several hours for the changes to take place. Can this be done within PD as well? That should be easy, but I haven't been able to figure out how. PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
32 GB RAM
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote On YouTube you can add a blur to the egdes of a movie, but it takes several hours for the changes to take place. Can this be done within PD as well? That should be easy, but I haven't been able to figure out how.

Hi,
Try the fx Blur effect. Inverse the effect to give a clear centre and a blurred outer, choose size of box or circle to suit, other controls available as well.

Any good?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You can also use PIP with a mask and feather the edge, additionally Vitascene Filter offers several adjustable "Border" filters.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 12. 2021 15:04

Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,
Try the fx Blur effect. Inverse the effect to give a clear centre and a blurred outer, choose size of box or circle to suit, other controls available as well.

Any good?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

It doesn't provide the right area. I wish to blur the left and right sides, as you may have seen in a lot of mobile videos in the news for example. Then you get a kind of 9:16 picture in the middle while the rest is blurred. PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
32 GB RAM
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
See this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYxhMW8tvOM on how to do it with vertical videos.
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You can also use PIP with a mask and feather the edge, additionally Vitascene Filter offers several adjustable "Border" filters.

Jeff

Vitascene Filters are really interesting but a bit expensive.

I'll check out that PiP tip later, meanwhile I found that the best way to go is to simply crop the video to get rid of the unwanted material.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 13. 2021 11:07

PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
32 GB RAM
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote See this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYxhMW8tvOM on how to do it with vertical videos.

Thanks for the tip! This is not really my isssue, since I'm having a 16:9 movie that I want to blur on both sides. But the tutorial you posted is how I want the result to be. I may used it later on. laughing PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
32 GB RAM
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Vitascene Filters are really interesting but a bit expensive.

Vitascene Filters are part of PD in the Fx room, they come with any version above the low end Ultra product.

Jeff
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
If you only want to blur the left and right edges, use the Blur as PDM suggested, two blur Fx, one for left, one for right. Each edge totally adjustable that way.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_EdgeBlur.png]
 Filename
PD14_EdgeBlur.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
968 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
15 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 13. 2021 13:18

Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]

Vitascene Filters are part of PD in the Fx room, they come with any version above the low end Ultra product.

Jeff

Okay, thanks. I searched for Vitascene Filters and found package for $399. More than twice the price for PD. PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
32 GB RAM
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
No, you should have received an installer for Vitascene when you purchased PD18. There's no extra cost for it, so look again at all the installer files that CL sent you.
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote No, you should have received an installer for Vitascene when you purchased PD18. There's no extra cost for it, so look again at all the installer files that CL sent you.

Yes you're right. It must be the one called vitascene-dsple...

I'm sure I've installed it since I've installed everything that came with the order confirmation.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Ok. Like Jeff said, it should be located in the FX room. This is PD14:

Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I have them both. đź‘Ť PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
32 GB RAM