Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Using KeyFrames to set zoom in and out points
RayGuselli [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Barrow in Furness Joined: Mar 17, 2013 10:02 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I apologise if this has been asked before but despite a search I could not find an exact answer.

I am using PD18.

I have videos of my daughter showjumping where, moving through the ring she may at points be some distance away and them comes back closer.

I can zoom with the camera however, I would like to be able to zoom as and in PD using the keyframe feature etc as this would be much steadier.

I have not used keyframe before and although there are videos about keyframe, would like to find one more specific to my needs, which I am sure must be common.

In short, I would like to zoom in and out in the video using keyframes to designate the places where this happens etc.

Would be grateful for any help, advice or links to tutorials please, specific to this process.

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes Ray
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
This pdtoots tutorial may help to get you started: https://youtu.be/ictYM7rijRw . If your video is a long clip and there are various points where you want to zoom in, then I would make a split to where you want to start a zoom on the timeline and another split to where the zoom should end. Use the PiP designer for the zoom in portions.
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
H Ray,
I put tohether a quick series of images to illustrate a simple way. These use photo clips from an existing project, and this technique is equally valid for video clips, so other than the clip in highlight ignore everything else.

• highlight the clip you want to pan and zoom on in the timeline: then choose tools and select pan and zoom - screenshot P&Z 1

• when the pan and zoom panel opens, choose the user defined option - last in my list and probably yours. A magic window opens now with the selected clip in focus: screenshot P&Z 2

• in the magic window there is a timeline with the moving triangle and a keyframe (diamond icon) at the start. You drag the triangle to a time on the TL, and choose to create a keyframe here by stopping and then selecting diamond+icon below. Oops, an error? click on the keyframe and select the diamond- icon to remove it.

• Do this as many times as you want - but be reasonable - too many and the result will not look good. When playing, the software adjusts smoothly between the size at the keyframe it has just passed, to the size at the next one. For this illustration, I chose to insert 2 keyframes - one in the middle and one at the end of the window TL, as seen the screenshot P&Z 2.

• you will note that the image has sizing handles around it - those little square icons, corners and middle of each side, total of 8. Click on a keyframe and then use those sizing handles to adjust the size and position centre of the image at that point: click n drag to suit your need. It does not have to zoom on centre: it can - by moving the centre dot - zoom sideways.

• In these images I chose to just zoom in on the image size for the middle keyframe (KF). Screenshot P&Z 3.

• So, when it plays (click on the play icon in the window) it goes from large at KF1, to zoom in at KF2, and zoom back out to KF3. In playing time, it pulses slowly. To speed it up, add more keyframes with alternating zoom in and out. Tinker with the zoom amount and position at each keyframe and play until satisfied.

• click on OK in the window when finished.

[Thumb - P&Z 1.jpg]
 Filename
P&Z 1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
409 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - P&Z 2.jpg]
 Filename
P&Z 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
244 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - P&Z 3.jpg]
 Filename
P&Z 3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
454 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2020 19:02

RayGuselli [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Barrow in Furness Joined: Mar 17, 2013 10:02 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This pdtoots tutorial may help to get you started: https://youtu.be/ictYM7rijRw . If your video is a long clip and there are various points where you want to zoom in, then I would make a split to where you want to start a zoom on the timeline and another split to where the zoom should end. Use the PiP designer for the zoom in portions.

Excellent video Tomasc.

Thank you very much...I am sure I can learn from this and appreciate your help.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes

Ray
RayGuselli [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote H Ray,
I put tohether a quick series of images to illustrate a simple way. These use photo clips from an existing project, and this technique is equally valid for video clips, so other than the clip in highlight ignore everything else.

• highlight the clip you want to pan and zoom on in the timeline: then choose tools and select pan and zoom - screenshot P&Z 1

• when the pan and zoom panel opens, choose the user defined option - last in my list and probably yours. A magic window opens now with the selected clip in focus: screenshot P&Z 2

• in the magic window there is a timeline with the moving triangle and a keyframe (diamond icon) at the start. You drag the triangle to a time on the TL, and choose to create a keyframe here by stopping and then selecting diamond+icon below. Oops, an error? click on the keyframe and select the diamond- icon to remove it.

• Do this as many times as you want - but be reasonable - too many and the result will not look good. When playing, the software adjusts smoothly between the size at the keyframe it has just passed, to the size at the next one. For this illustration, I chose to insert 2 keyframes - one in the middle and one at the end of the window TL, as seen the screenshot P&Z 2.

• you will note that the image has sizing handles around it - those little square icons, corners and middle of each side, total of 8. Click on a keyframe and then use those sizing handles to adjust the size and position centre of the image at that point: click n drag to suit your need. It does not have to zoom on centre: it can - by moving the centre dot - zoom sideways.

• In these images I chose to just zoom in on the image size for the middle keyframe (KF). Screenshot P&Z 3.

• So, when it plays (click on the play icon in the window) it goes from large at KF1, to zoom in at KF2, and zoom back out to KF3. In playing time, it pulses slowly. To speed it up, add more keyframes with alternating zoom in and out. Tinker with the zoom amount and position at each keyframe and play until satisfied.

• click on OK in the window when finished.

Hi Davidk101...

Thank you so much for going to all this trouble...that is extremely kind and I am sure is goping to help me understand the principle of keyframes...

I will read over and keep this as a reference for me.

Thank you very much for your kind help....

Best wishes Ray
RayGuselli [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Guys...

I also found the video as below which is excellent and I wonder if it might be helpful to you as well.

Just thought I would drop it in here in case it helps.

Very best wishes and thank you again for your kind help.

Best wishes

Ray https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq_ul-47xX4
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
wouldn't PIP Designer also be able to do this ?
RayGuselli [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote wouldn't PIP Designer also be able to do this ?

Hi Detroit 123

I am not familiar enough with PD to answer this but I did actually wonder the same.....

I must try that as well.
Thank you too for your help and suggestion....as a newbie to PD it is great to receive this help from those more familiar with it.

Verty best wishes

Ray